Rogues...

Yucke

Hmm, no rogue guides even though we're probably one of the most populated class :confused:

Well. Let's start.

1.0 Getting Started

1.1Terminology(real quick)

SS-Sinister Strike
BS-Backstab
Imp<insert skill here>-Improved <insert skill here>
CD-Cooldowns
KS-Kidney Shot
CS-Cheapshot
Hemo-Hemmorrhage
DPS-Damage Per Second
DoT-Damage over Time
CP-Combo Points
Openner-Any attack that must be used while stealthed (except sap)
Finisher-Any attack requiring CPs
Prep-Preparation
AR-Adrenaline Rush
BF-Bladefury
MoD-Master of Deception
Camo-Camouflage
CB-Cold Blood
Evis-Eviscerate
SF-Seal Fate (no "of" ;))
Combat-Combat tree
Assassination-Assassination tree
Sub-Subtlety tree
DR-Diminishing Returns
MF-Main hand
OF-Off hand
AP-Attack Power
Agi-Agility
Stam-Stamina
Str-Strength

1.2 Race

Rogue available races and racial traits that are worth a mention:

Alliance

Human
-Perception [active]: Greatly increases stealth detection. With this talent, you'll always see another rogue before they see you. Ming used this a lot in duels and felt that MoD (Master of Deception) is a waste of points if you're a human rogue.
-Sword/Mace Specialization [passive]: +5 to sword/mace skill. Increase in over all damage with swords/maces.
-Diplomacy [passive]: 10% increase in reputation gains. Makes rep grinds just a taddd bit better.

Gnome
-Escape Artist [active]: .5 second cast. Dispels any root/snare effect off the caster. Another anti kite. Good for any melee class.

Night Elf
-Shadowmeld [active]: Stealths the user. Only useable out of combat. Any movement will cause stealth to break. Passively increases effectiveness of Stealth. It's like having an extra point in MoD.

Dwarf
-Stoneform [active]: While active, grants immunity to Bleed, Poison, and Disease effects. In addition, Armor increases by 10%. Lasts 8 sec. - 3 min cooldown.

HORDE

Undead
-Will Of The Forsaken [active]: Activate to become immune to Fear, Sleep, and Charm effects. Can also be used while already afflicted by Fear or Sleep - lasts 5 sec - 2 min cooldown. Great racial. An extra fear break is priceless.
-Cannibalize [active]: Activate to regenerate 7% of total health every 2 sec. by consuming Humanoid or Undead corpses within 5 yds - lasts 10 sec - 2 min cooldown. Quick heal . Can be used incombat.

Orc
-Hardiness [passive]: 25% resistance to stun and knockout effects. RAWR, other rogues will frown upon you with displeasure.
-Blood Fury [active]: Increases base melee attack power by 25% for 15 sec and reduces healing effects on you 50% for 25 sec.

Troll
-Berserking [active]: Increases your attack speed by 10% to 30%. At full health the speed increase is 10% with a greater effect up to 30% if you are badly hurt when you activate Berserking. Lasts 10 sec.
-Regeneration [passive]: 10% health regen bonus, 10% active in combat. Some people say the 10% regen is useless. It seems alright.

2.0 Pre-60

2.1Leveling

Leveling is a long and boring process. It is, as most people say, a timesink Blizzard created to keep their customers occupied. With that said, we'd like to get to 60 and start "the game".

The fastest way to get to 60 is single target grinding. Here's a guide to places and mobs that are good for grinding. It's a horde mage grinding guide but many of the areas and mobs listed are accessible by alliance. Mages, like a rogue, being a dps class, both fair reasonably well against the same type of mobs.

2.2Grinding Spec

Regardless of how you want to level your rogue, putting 2/2 points into Improved Sinister Strike !!!as soon as possible!! is a must. Or else, be prepared for a long and frustrating leveling process.

Fastest way to level is to put alll points into Combat, duel wield swords. And maybe a few in Assassination. Sub is not for grinding. It should look something like this.
This spec is PURELY for grinding. A fight should go like this:

Stealth>CS>SS spam till 5 CPs>Evis>SS spam till dead.

Yes. Very boring. And repetitive. However it gets the job done efficiently.

3.0 Specs/Weapons

3.1Level 60 Specs

PvE
Coming soon.

PvP

31/8/12 (Seal Fate Dagger):
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info...500010513203000000000000000050050002000000000

21/8/22 (CB/Prep/Dagger):
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info...500010003203000000000000000050054003003110000

21/3/27 (CB/Prep/Hemo):
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info...500010003000000000000000000050055003023120010

15/31/5 (Combat Sword With MOD 5):
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info...400000003200550102030150031050000000000000000

^^ Cookie cutter specs. These by no means, are the "only" functional spec for a rogue. They're just the most popular and common. Many variations exist. Feel free to tweak around with them.

3.2Weapon Selection

Fun part. Selecting weapons. Unlike casters, a rogue's effectiveness relies greatly on their weapon.

What to look for when choosing a MH

-Damage Range: Simple. The more damage the tooltip says, the more damage you'll do with it.

-Stats: More stats=more damage/health.

-Proc: You don't want a proc that does damage over time. Nooooo, stay away.

Popular MH enchants:

-Crusader (swords): The +100 str is equal to +100 ap which will raise your SS damage quite a bit.

-15 Agility- 15 agility at level 60 is roughly equal to .5% to crit.

-+5 Damage (mainly daggers): Increase BS and Ambush crits.

What to look for when choosing an OH

-Stats: The more stats your OH provides, the better off you'll be.

-Speed: For heavy poison users, a fast OH is desireable increasing the number of poison procs.

-Proc: You don't want a proc that does damage over time. Nooooo, stay away.

Popular OH enchants:
-15 Agility: =o another .5% crit! Now if you had a 15 agi enchant on your MH, you'll get 1% crit from enchants alone!

-Crusader: Dual proc is nice. +200 str. (only if you have crusader on your MH)

-Last time I checked, Lifestealing proc breaks gouge. So stay away from that as well. Unless they changed it.

***Also. Epic does not mean>>>>>blue. I can name a handfull of blue daggers that are better than Shadowblade -_-.
Also! Blue does not mean>>>>>>>green. Tired of seeing dagger rogues run around with Julie's Dagger in their MH and complaining about their Ambush/BS damage -_-.

RAWRRRRRRRRRR read the below please.

WEAPON SPEED HAS NO EFFECT ON YOUR DAMAGE. SINCE PATCH...1.9? or was it1.8... WEAPON SPEEDS HAVE BEEN NORMALIZED!
For instant attacks, swords and maces are calculated with a speed of 2.4. Daggers have all been normalized to 1.8.
Note: This only effects instant attacks, your white damage, on next swing, w/es will reflect the weapon speed in your weapon's tooltip.
******ATTENTION****** Hemo has not been normalized. I'm not sure if it's because blizzard forgot or if it's "working as intended". So if you're a hemo build, look for high damage range AND slower weapon=bigger hemo hits.

3.3Stats

30 Agility= 1% to crit @ lvl 60.
15 Agility= 1% to dodge @ lvl 60.
1 Agility= 1 Str= 1 Attack power.
^^ are just things to keep in mind when making a "set".

For those interested, Ming, a former rogue, developed the AEP system which gives each stat a value equivalent to agility (exp: 1 stamina=1 agi= 1 aep). The AEP system is used to rate gear giving each gear an AEP value. The higher the value of the item, the more useful that gear will be to the rogue.
It can be used to make a "standard" or all purpose set.
AEP

4.0 Combat

4.1 Movement

Being a rogue is all about being agile, precise and quick. We're the only class that has direction reliant abilities. Ambush, Backstab, Gouge, Garrote come to mind. With this being said. If you're a rogue and you're keyboard turning (using WASDQE to position yourself)...=\. It might be "adequate" for PvE, you'll find that there is no time to keyboard turn at all in PvP and in some PvE encounters, using a mouse+keyboard will make a rogue more effective.

Right click+hold/drag changes the direction your character is facing.

Left click+hold/drag changes the camera angle. It's different from Right click because your character will not be facing in the direction the camera is. This is commonly used when being chased. Hold down "W" to run foward, left click drag to see how far your pursuers are behind you without having to stop and turn.

Right click+left click+hold/drag This moves your character in the direction he/she is facing.

It's very hard to explain how and when to use differen't keyboard+mouse combos so you'll have to explore this topic on your own ;).

=\ I'll finish it...eventually.

Last edited:
I was looking at the PvP builds, interesting. I have a 60 rogue and a build similar to the 21/8/22 cookie cutter. I noticed the improved exposed armor, which would be great against warriors. Alas, I'm at work right now...and have no time to comment any further

Yup, imp ea is great against warriors. Especially ones with one hander+shield.

I'll add more stuff while I'm at work. However! The Edit buttons disappeared on all the posts I've made in this thread =\. How do I get them to reappear?

Regular members can only edit their posts for a few days, then they are no longer editable. Only moderators can edit posts for days, weeks, months, years later. :( Limitation of the boards.

You're welcome Sass.

Was wondering if this was of any use to anyone since no one replied to it hehe.

Does anyone use slice and dice as a finishing move? I find myself always using evis or KS if I can and expose armor if there isnt a tank sundering already. Im just curious if the 3 points in improved can be put to better use elsewhere, I personally like to get the increased speed while stealthed for pvp and pve. I went with a homeade spec right now and not really happy with it, thinking about going more into combat but keeping daggers and mainly using ambush/backstab whenever possible.

I never really use slice and dice as a finishing move in PvP. PvP is all about burst damage, doing lots of damage in a short amount of time so in PvP, Eviscerate and Kidney Shot and sometimes a strategic EA or Rupture is used.

Slice and dice is more of a PvE finisher. Most mobs have a huge amount of armor lowering the damage done by eviscerate by a lot. Rupture dot isn't too efficient damage wise as of this patch. So most rogues Slice and Dice. ~30% of a rogue's damage comes from white damage. Slice and Dice increases attack speed by 30% o_O

The 3 points in improved slice and dice can be moved to where ever you want- assuming you have 3/3 Ruthlessness, 1/1 Relentless Strikes, 5/5 Malice, 5/5 Lethality. If you don't, the 2-3 points from Imp SnD should be used to fill those talents.

Does anyone use slice and dice as a finishing move? I find myself always using evis or KS if I can and expose armor if there isnt a tank sundering already. Im just curious if the 3 points in improved can be put to better use elsewhere, I personally like to get the increased speed while stealthed for pvp and pve. I went with a homeade spec right now and not really happy with it, thinking about going more into combat but keeping daggers and mainly using ambush/backstab whenever possible.

ahh my first post, what a newb:p

Back