September 8th, 2005

.se3ker.

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

-Psalm 119:105 (NRSV)

ONE day while driving on a new highway I noticed several large electronic signs at various intervals above the road. Some of the signs were blank, while others flashed a message, usually warning motorists of traffic conditions ahead. I decided to look at all of them because one might say something that would affect my route or safety.

As I thought about those signs, it dawned on me that I read the Bible each day for much the same reason. Sometimes the Bible speaks to me more than at other times. But on any given day there may be a message there that will change the direction I am traveling and protect me or someone else from harm. I may find a word of guidance that helps me make a decision or avoid a sin. I may find a word of reproach that causes me to change the way I'm thinking or acting. I may find a word of grace that brings peace and forgiveness to my spirit. Each day I read the Bible to see what message God has for me.

Dick Ryley (Pennsylvania, U.S.A.)
Prayer:
Loving God, we thank you for caring enough to speak to us through the scriptures. Give us eyes to see and ears to hear your message for us. Above all, give us the will to follow your leading. Amen.

Back