Server Additions

The Mighty Gerbil

Tribe of Judah TF 2 Chapter Leader & CGA Admin
Staff member
I added a couple plugins to our server today let's test them to see if they work sometime.

A class limit plugin. Which I set to a limit of 4 on engineers but no limits on anything else. I may be prudent to lower it to 3 but it depends on what you guys want.

An auto balance plugin which replaces the default one. It allows you to set a buddy that you don't get auto balanced from https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=77370 . I think it appears you must set it every round though.

The syntax that lets you add an admin menu selection to enable/disable all talk still eludes me even after copy pasting multiple examples found online -_-. As a note to admins you may type sm_cvar sv_alltalk 1 (or 0 for disabling it) in console to control it.

Last edited:
I added a couple plugins to our server today let's test them to see if they work sometime.
TF2sday tonight, w00t!

A class limit plugin. Which I set to a limit of 4 on engineers but no limits on anything else. I may be prudent to lower it to 3 but it depends on what you guys want.
GLORIOUS DAY!

An auto balance plugin which allows you to set a buddy that you don't get auto balanced from https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=77370 . I think it appears you must set it every round though.
Does this mean Elihu and I can actually play on the same team for more than 5 minutes at a time?

As a note to admins you may type sm_cvar sv_alltalk 1 (or 0 for disabling it) in console to control it.
Roger that. Any alternative to alt+tabbing out to HLSW to disable alltalk is a welcome change.

I wouldn't mind seeing a limit on scouts, but that's just cuz I can't stand the update.

Make it a cap of 4 for all classes and I'm cool with it.

And the only reason I say 4 instead of the 3 is that it's because we run a pub server.

Oh, and when the next class update drops, we should lift the limit for whatever class receives the update. Otherwise, our server will be empty for 2 weeks. :p

I say limit of 3 on everything. I hate playing with half a dozen pyro's on each team. I'd even be cool with 2 on pyro, sniper, and scout.

Class Limits of 4 are now in place for all classes. I may lower it to 3 later but I'll start high and work down first. The max players on one team are 10 for our server so I think most of the time we won't have more than 4 of anything.

While having 4 snipers or spies can be bad for a team I'm really only concerned about a team having to face 4 or 5 sgs (properly placed) which can really make progress frustrating. I mean when engies work together properly they can rebuild a level 3 sg you've just taken out before you can respawn and get back there. Instant respawn servers are even worse (IDK why they are so popular). Many times on instant servers I've killed an engy or multiple engineers on 2 fort gone and gotten the intel and by the time I get back with it the sg is level 3 again -_-. I think the only thing that ends one of those (~5 hour) games is the engineers get bored and play something else.

Note: I checked and I actually had the limit set correctly for 4 engineers last time so IDK why we could only use 3.

Last edited:
Instant respawn servers are even worse (IDK why they are so popular). Many times on instant servers I've killed an engy or multiple engineers on 2 fort gone and gotten the intel and by the time I get back with it the sg is level 3 again -_-.

This is why instant respawn breaks TF2. The respawn timers are necessary if you don't want stalemates on every map. ;)

Class limits are the lamest thing ever, anyone that supported putting them on our server should be ashamed of themselves...

Class limits are the lamest thing ever, anyone that supported putting them on our server should be ashamed of themselves...

Why do you say that Sarugon? I think they help to keep teams better organized and you don't run into problems where one team is awful because everyone wants to play pyro or something like that.

Class limits are the lamest thing ever
I have to strongly disagree with this. I've played too many games where 4 or more players on an enemy team of 10 players decide to play Engineer. About halfway through the round, I'll either drop from the server or stop taking the game seriously while I wait for the map to change--and hope there's fewer than 4 Engies next round.

I <3 (reasonable) class limits.

They're completely unnecessary in competitive play, but they can save the game from deteriorating into sentry spam on a pub server.

I've got this one demo (somewhere -_-) of my playing on the first stage of Goldrush with my team having 5 sgs around the second point, evenly spaced (so you could not reach more than one per uber), in a crossfire, with most of the engies helping each other rebuild. Even if the other team managed to take out one the engies would have it back up to level 3 before they could even respawn eeek. Not to mention the rest of the team was actively keeping them scattered and busy anyway.

I'd imagine it would be possible for a coordinated team to take them all out but to expect that level of teamwork from players on public servers probably won't happen.

I almost prefer the way SGs worked in Team Fortress Classic. They only had a certain forward radius (it wasn't 360 degrees, i would guess more like 90 degrees). You could come in from behind and destroy them. So placement and direction was extremely important.

At the very least I wish they would rotate a little slower given scouts a chance to run past them.

I almost prefer the way SGs worked in Team Fortress Classic. They only had a certain forward radius (it wasn't 360 degrees, i would guess more like 90 degrees). You could come in from behind and destroy them. So placement and direction was extremely important.
Plus they were easier to destroy.

1 Spy + 2 regular grenades > 1 sentry

I was being slightly sarcastic when I said that, though I suppose intent can be hard to convey through text sometimes. I just don't like classs limits because sometimes I think it's fun when everyone goes the same class just for a while, like a whole team of pyros. Maybe a limit of 4 isn't so bad though, as long as it doesn't get any lower than that.

I was being slightly sarcastic when I said that, though I suppose intent can be hard to convey through text sometimes. I just don't like classs limits because sometimes I think it's fun when everyone goes the same class just for a while, like a whole team of pyros. Maybe a limit of 4 isn't so bad though, as long as it doesn't get any lower than that.

That's exactly why I only had it on engineer. Personally I don't go either way on class limits excepting engineer which is a definite plus IMO so I'm just going with the majority :). It's no big to modify it later on if people change their minds either although I cannot do it mid-game.

I can see Sarugan's point here. Playing with friends and goofing around it's a pain to have class limits because what if everyone wanted to go scout + bat against the other team because it's funny?

The other side of that coin is the SG problem and the fact that 4 good demomen can dominate a server. For "fair" play, class limits are a must I think.

Back