So, I tried sPvP last night due to the laurels thing...

RyanB

Legacy of Elijah Guild Leader
...and had a blast! Wow! Unfamiliarity has kept me from doing this for 7 months, but I just dove in and it was not bad at all. Tournament play sounds intimidating, but in reality these are very easy to get into....2 team tournaments are just that - a single match with random teams.

To describe the play style, think a bit of a mix between Random Arenas and Alliance battles from GW1. You'll face the occasional coordinated team, but in general it seems to be very much a mix of randoms...so don't feel bad if it's just you. Just do it.

Avenger joined for a bit and we did great - one match we had 3 PUG with us against a very experienced highly-ranked guild team and we absolutely mopped the floor with them. :)

I want to go back. Come with!

Interesting.

I've been thinking about trying it, but haven't got around to looking at any of the maps to familiarize myself with how they work.

Think you're going to be able to get the monthly done?

I finished the monthly last night. And for the 1-match "tournament", there is only 1 map. It doesn't take long to learn your way around. Here's what I know so far:

1. There are 3 shrines: alter, gate, and temple. It's (almost) all about capping.
2. Owning shrines = points
3. Killing = points
4. Being a bunker (defenese) is a VERY legitimate and useful tactic. I was able to hop right in with my PvE build and style.
5. There are some bonus things to cap that will give your team a boost or even 1 that will insta-win all 3 shrines.
6. Matches are 12 minutes.
7. Just talk to the tournament guy and solo join. It's that easy.

People were mostly friendly. Obviously not everyone. I had one guy that talked smack when he took me down to which I pointed out that he got me but I got the shrine. Guild team mentioned above was raging about me, and when I politely informed them that it was my first night, and that they could see that by my rank at the end of the match...they didn't say another word. :)

Nice. Great stories, and thanks for the cliff's notes.

I might get a chance to get on tonight and try some.

One of the reasons I've been thinking about doing sPvP is for training for WvW. Seems like it would be good to get some intensive small fight experience without all of the running around and zerging in WvW.

In PvP, I'm still at the stage where I suddenly can't remember where my skills are even I've got a handle on them in PvE. It's such a different animal.

It's like a board game, you can read all the rules you want, but you just have to try it and you'll get the hang of it very quickly. That's actually why I used to spend a lot of time in the EB jumping puzzle - small skirmish in a non-competitive environment. Of course, there's also the advantage there of flinging people off of great heights with one's charrzooka... haha.

Last night we threw a team together with Avenger, Gigabit, Possum, Saudi, and myself...with Bascom hopping in shortly after. Very new for all of us (except Avenger) and we did just fine, won a few matches.

So... how many people are there on a team? Apologies if I missed it. Looks like at least five or six, right?

I keep meaning to pick GW2 back up... but then get distracted by other things. PvP sounds fun, though. :)

5v5 for two team quick tournaments.

And the current map is Kodan themed! Probably my favorite style in the game at the moment. Can't wait until the expansion where Kodan become playable (in my dreams, no actual evidence that this will happen).

I imagine just playing with other players in TS will set a team above many PUGs.

5v5 is correct. There are also quick join matches, which can be anything from 1v1 to 8v8, or even 3v2/etc. It's not meant to be balanced. Last night we practiced a bit in quick join, then took our game to a tournament match.

And you're very right on the TS angle. Simple communicating via voice puts you at an advantage.

Back