Tech issue with my son's PC

Waynos

i took my old motherboard and CPU and installed it in my son's case

the operating system on this hard drive started as the free windows 8 64 bit preview release. (via USB)
i then purchased the $30 upgrade download from microsoft website and made an OS DVD for reinstall/fixes purposes

upon booting it i get a screen with a missing kernel error.
so i used the disc i made hoping to resolve this error
it will go as far as letting me try a fresh install but it wont accept the product key
and most of the time only goes to display the kernel error

im trying to get his up and running so when his parts are bought he can start GW2.
i'm also trying to avoid a 6 hour phone call to microsoft or paying $200 for a new OS

NOTE: this hard drive had the OS installed on it with this same motherboard when they were in my old tower case.
it is hooked to same parts just different case and power supply

any ideas?

Yeah something must be different if it worked before. Maybe the copy of Windows 8 corrupted when it got put on a usb? Maybe the Bios got reset somehow and needs an update? I'd look for more answers before trying it but my 5 second random thought is try linux? Hmm I wonder if it will run on linux, Googles, apparently GW2 will run with wine and tinkering.

IDK! /Suddenly, and easily, met limit of technical knowledge XD.

Last edited:
Kernel errors can be a pain and can come from a number of sources. Last time I saw one it ended in an all night phone call to MS in the middle of a server rollout.

I would try a new disc or another key. It sounds like that may be the source.

Back