Techies unite!

Avesther

In the office I have a router splitting incoming internet to 4 stations. I need to add a 5th which will be a VISA\MC merchant machine. From the wall, can I connect another router to split to a computer and the merchant machine.

Basically go from:

ISP -> Cable Modem -> Router|-> Station 1
.........................................|-> Station 2
.........................................|-> Station 3
.........................................|-> Station 4.

To:

.........................................|-> Router 2 |-> Station 4
..........................................................|-> Merchant machine

Last edited:
In the office I have a router splitting incoming internet to 4 stations. I need to add a 5th which will be a VISA\MC merchant machine. From the wall, can I connect another router to split to a computer and the merchant machine.

Basically go from:

.........................................|-> Station 4.

To:

.........................................|-> Router 2 |-> Station 4
..........................................................|-> Merchant machine
easy:
isp--cable modem-router-8 port switch-
station 1
station2
station3
station4
merchant machine
future growth

here's a good switch:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122115

I can rewire the office (It is professionally wired when we renovated the office), cost about $500 plus the cost of a 8 port router. Or, if my solution can work, its a $100 solution.

Last edited:
rewire? See how i depicted it above? that's all you avhe to do. just drop the switch behind the router. run a standard cable from one of the lan ports of the router right to the switch..then ;lug everything into the switch. It'll jsut work. Then you ahve 3 ports on the switch for future use and 3 on the router for future use. no need to rewire jsut drop the switch in right where the router is and plug them in..it'll jsut work..:) The switch i gave you will work for less than half of 100 bucks.

I would recommend using the switch. You can set it up using the second router and everything can get to the outside; where you will run into trouble is trying to do "LAN"-type stuff. If you try to go from the computers outside of the router to station 4 inside...you can't get there. Of course, you can create all sorts of special routing rules, but it's just more headache than it's worth. Really the only reason you would ever want to use multiple internal routers is if you have a huge network, or want to otherwise segregate things (like having a public/non-public side of your network)

Everything -> Switch
Switch -> Router
Router -> modem

As stated above...same physical wiring, just a different configuration.

[gfc#6]suicidebomber;374928 said:
rewire? See how i depicted it above? that's all you avhe to do. just drop the switch behind the router. run a standard cable from one of the lan ports of the router right to the switch..then ;lug everything into the switch. It'll jsut work. Then you ahve 3 ports on the switch for future use and 3 on the router for future use. no need to rewire jsut drop the switch in right where the router is and plug them in..it'll jsut work..:) The switch i gave you will work for less than half of 100 bucks.

The back room with the modem, router and all the telephone equipment is in a back room, about 50' away from the reception desk. There is a plug at the reception desk for the network but only one. I really don't want to wire up another LAN wire to it because it has to be fished through a firewall between a neighbor and I. I've been told that it has to be a rated CAT5 due to fire code. So what I was thinking is plugging in a switch at the reception LAN connection so I can plug the merchant equipment into and the computer into. Under the reception desk there is a nice shelve to keep things tidy and out of the way.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't know why the idea of a switch skipped my mind. I had done the switch thing in another company like was mentioned above. Now thinking of it, placing a switch at the wall outlet would\should work, I'm just putting it at the end of a longer cable.

yes, you can drop a switch onto the end of that network drop and expand it. I have a switch in my office (because I have 4 pc's in it). The way our office is wired is:

Router - > Switch--> Servers
-------------------> Office 1, Office X
-------------------> My Office -> Switch -> PC1, PC2, PC3, PC4
-------------------> Tech Bench -> Switch -> Printer, PC1...

You shouldn't need an additional router in the office, just a simple switch will suffice.

Switch is working great. I will have to come in early one morning and work at hanging it nicely under the desk and presenting the Visa\MC\Debit card merchant machine appropriately for an accounting firm. I don't know why I was thinking I needed a router....thats one heck of a brain fart.

And yet you knew it was a brain fart and posted on here. Problem solved. Glad to hear it's working out well. :)

Back