Tek shows up fashionably late to the Firefox party

Tek7 (Legacy)

CGA & ToJ President
I've always been a fan of anything that opposes Microsoft. There's more than one reason that I spell M$ with a dollar sign, after all. But until recently, I was using Avant Browser on my home PC. I run Portable Firefox from my thumbdrive while using computers in my college's computer labs, but installed Avant Browser on the student newspaper office PC and set it to the default browser.

That all changed yesterday when I lost a full page of text to a browser crash. Avant Browser, while normally stable and reliable, ate the post I had taken twenty minutes to write. I decided right then and there to switch over completely to Firefox.

I installed a few goodies to customize Firefox and make it more "comfy." I picked up the Noia 2.0 (eXtreme) theme (along with the nine other most popular themes) as well as several popular extensions (Sage, Adblock, NoScripts, FlashGot, and Tabbrowser Preferences). After an hour or so of installs and configuration, I was set and cozy. I repeated the install and customization on my secondary PC (which I use to chat and check sites while playing games on my primary PC).

I liked Firefox before, but now I love it. I'm also diggin' the Sage extension. I recently added RSS and Atom feeds to my personal site as a sort of "initiation" into the wonderful world of syndicated feeds. I also added a few news feeds to my Sage Feeds folder.

Anyway, if you're still using IE or Avant Browser, I recommend downloading and installing Firefox to try it for yourself. Push comes to shove, you uninstall it and go back to IE. But with tabbed browsing, pop-up blocking, and gads of bonus features by means of extensions, I can't imagine going back to IE again.

Rant over. I hope this was educational and inspiring for someone out there. :)

Last edited:
good job tek do u love ur fox lol

I've added a "Get Firefox" link button to my signature. Every time someone clicks the link, it adds a point to the Spread Firefox affiliate account SirThom created for the Christian Gamers Alliance.

If you'd like to add a text link or link button to your signature, personal site, blog, or instant messenger profile, click here for the HTML code and replace the 0 in id=0 with our affiliate ID, 134206.

Hmm...everybody seems to be enamored with Firefox. Perhaps someday I shall check it out, just out of curiosity. I'm happy with IE though, and my Earthlink popup blocker. It blocks the windows I need to use and fails to block the ads. Super stuff....heh...heh...I'm going to go sob in the corner now if that's all right with you folks.

IceBladePOD said:
Hmm...everybody seems to be enamored with Firefox. Perhaps someday I shall check it out, just out of curiosity. I'm happy with IE though, and my Earthlink popup blocker. It blocks the windows I need to use and fails to block the ads. Super stuff....heh...heh...I'm going to go sob in the corner now if that's all right with you folks.

I urge you to at least give it a try, you will love it. I've been a user of FF since before it was a big deal. I think I started using it in 01/02. I have never had any quarks with it. I even purchased a t-shirt and pimp it around to express my love for it!

I use to hate having to use IE at work, I was always Ctrl+T'ing and nothing would happen o_O

I love my firefox, I've got a few Ad-Block extensions setup and I never ever see a pop up or advertisment on any webpage I visit.

Also I have this mouse motion extension where if I hold down my right mouse button and go to the left or right I can go forward or back, or a half circle refreshes the page, theres like 30 commands from oppening new tabs or windows to closing firefox.

Exo-Slayer said:
I love my firefox, I've got a few Ad-Block extensions setup and I never ever see a pop up or advertisment on any webpage I visit.

Also I have this mouse motion extension where if I hold down my right mouse button and go to the left or right I can go forward or back, or a half circle refreshes the page, theres like 30 commands from oppening new tabs or windows to closing firefox.

I tried one of those but it kept blocking like flash navigation bars and such.

Back