The Hobbit

Joshinator

Christian Gamers Alliance TeamSpeak 3 Server Opera
So the Hobbit comes out this weekend. I saw it last night, so I'd thought I'd do all Tolkien fans a favor, and implore them to disregard most of the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes right now.

EDIT: I saw it in 48 frames 3D, and it looked beautiful. I didn't notice that there was much of a difference, other than it seeming very clear and realistic.

I read the book again about three weeks ago. Normally this would be a bad idea (Hunger Games), however it was fine with the Hobbit. Why? Because Jackson does a superb job of staying with the story of the book, while adding and changing a small amount of stuff here and there in order to have a movie suitable for today's cinemas.

I personally knew the movie would have to be a good adaption...
Within the first 20 minutes of the movie, the origin of the game of golf had been explained.

There has been further back story added to explain where Gandalf runs off to, where in the books Tolkien would just leave it that he was gone til the end of the book. I felt that it was fine though.
Gollum's split personalities were hilarious during the riddle game.
I enjoyed the additions.

I am happy to report there is no love story. No Aragorn dramatic relationship with Arwen.
It's the same fun adventure template that's in the Hobbit book.

Visuals are awesome. I really enjoy what they did with the Goblin king and his cave. The location shots are incredible, with arial views inspiring awe.

Truly enjoyable movie. It earns highest recommendations from me.

PS. Read at your own risk.
The crash the plates song at the beginning was present, and was as awesome as ever

Last edited:
I've got my tickets to the midnight show Thursday night - 3D Imax. I, too, reread [IThe ]Hobbit[/I] over Thanksgiving. Actually I'm basing (loosely) my Christmas series on the Hobbit - The Unexpected Journey. We also have a ton of people going to see it together after church on Sunday.

I can't wait to see it.

I will probably see it one or two more times. It was nice being able to see it free and early (Sister is in journalism :D) for the first go around. All I gotta do now is wait a year and hope my sister can acquire more early tickets next year.

Turns out that it was 48, and I didn't notice a huge difference. It was beautiful. Would definitely recommend the 48 for the increased clarity.

I'm picking up my little bro and we're going to see it tonight. We've been waiting along time and it will be nice to spend sometime together. I'm not sure if the 2D showing is 48fps or not. I've never really paid attention to that in movies either way on a budget it's going to be good for what I spent.

Back