The Passion Of Christ

mynameisjoe

what are your thoughts on this movie?my church is doing a special on it and i'm going cuz i'm not allowed to see R rated movies
sad.gif
i've been half okay with that until now, cuz i wanna see this movie alot again this is a place where you can post your thoughs on the movie and i think it will be great, despite the controversy, it will be a great movie. Thank you and please respond

Well, it looks and sounds good.  A lot of Christian scholars have given it thumbs up, and said stuff like, "Go and see this R-rated movie!" If yout parents are Christians, they should be happy for you to see it.

My church also is doing something for it, since my pastor was able to see the movie last month when he was down at the national pastors conference in orlando.  Pretty much everyone here is going opening night.  I may go then, but Ill probably wait a week or two and stick to my tradition of seeing movies alone ;)

But it is a movie that a christian, and anyone for that matter, should see. Its R rating is from the fact that it gets it right, it depicts exactly what happened, and that is exactly what a lot of people need to see.

I plan on seeing it, I hear there are some Maryisms in it, hopefully glory is given to Jesus and not her.

It cant be nothing much, since my pastor, we're a non-denominational church, who saw it, and is totally against that and some other things that cathloics try to tack on to the faith, had no problem wiht the movie and had only good to say. You may have just heard something people are throwing out there to try to discredit the movie, we all know there has been plenty of that, lol.

hmm on a flyer from my church it says "this movie has been endorsed by many christian organizations. Focus on te Family encourages everyone over 12 to see this film." I've heard that the violence in the movie is braveheart-esque. I considered seeing it with some friends of mine, but I plan to see it with my church because I don't want to watch this movie and have it be just a movie. I want it to be a spiritual experience.

No matter who you watch it with, it will have an impact on you. Only exception may be some younger kids that are not able to comprhend its message. This comes from people I know who have seen it.

im seeing it. i dont like to speculate much since that can make u want to see it but may dissapoint u

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dr. Tek @ Feb. 18 2004,5:29)]my pastor...is totally against that and some other things that cathloics try to tack on to the faith.
I don't want to start a flame war, but did the Catholics add stuff on or did others subtract from what was always there?

I'm really looking forward to seeing the movie. Believe it or not, I'll be seeing it 3 times in 5 days
smile.gif
First I'll be going with some relatives, then with my immediate family, and then with my Church. While the movie isn't trying to be historical documentary that gets every minute detail right, I'm really looking forward to see and, if you will, experience what Jesus went through. I think that this will be one of the best portrayals of Jesus' passion in any form ever.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daszo24 @ Feb. 21 2004,4:15)]I don't want to start a flame war, but did the Catholics add stuff on or did others subtract from what was always there?
First off, the place they put Mary and the other saints, praying to them and what not, is not needed, as is stated in the gospels many times. Secondly, their doctrine of water rejuvination is in contradiction with what Jesus taught about baptism. Also their relieance on chruch tradition for authority over the Bible, which they admit themselves, they place the pope and tradition over the Bible for authority, is in itself contrary to the Bible itself. Ill leave it at that for now, as other things would be more likely to cause some flaming since they are also shared by some denominations also, but those are some cathloic-only things I have major problems with.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dr. Tek @ Feb. 19 2004,7:47)]No matter who you watch it with, it will have an impact on you.  Only exception may be some younger kids that are not able to comprhend its message.  This comes from people I know who have seen it.
I find that to be quite irrelevant! I plan on going with a mindset of it being a spiritual experience because if I plan on it being fun, but turns out to be a spiritual experience its alright, but not as good. Have you ever gone to church or a retreat for the purpose of having fun with people instead of being with God? I have. It isn't the same at all. If I go with a bunch of friends who will want to discuss the philosophy of the movie, and to hang out, it won't be the same as going with a Jesus mindset.

Mindset always has its effect, I was just stating that whether you went to see it with friends or on your own, IF you had the mindset to take something from it, which was the assumption I was making, I should have stated it, it will have an impact. For me, doing things with groups of other people is a far and distant concept most of the time, so perhaps I may be wrong, I only speak from what I know.

Its amazing how different this thread and this one at one of my online gaming forums are regarding this movie. While presuppositions are way different, no one can seem to agree with each other at either. Odd, lol. Its been a rather heated lengthy debate, 10 pages that are about 4-5 printed pages each, long. . . interesting read if you want to see various peoples reactions from around the world on the movie.

I have a few problems with the movie, The first one is with Judas, From what ive read He Took his money, bought land, then his guts fell out on the land and after that no one wanted that land. But the movie shows him Giving the money back to the priests then killing himself. And another thing, not exactly having to do with the movie, but where do catholics get all these rules and holidays from? And why do they call priests father if in Mathew it says to NOT do that? I dont want to start arguments i just want to know.

First off, the priest bought the land that Judas killed himself on, and there is the account he hanged himself. In acts, from my take, his body did fall on the ground, after he was dead, hence the part it burst open, meaning it fell from a height and was decaying.

Catholics value Church tradition and the word of the pope over the Bible, meaning if the two are in conflict, they go with the pope and tradition. Any Catholic priest, nun, or anyone who studied for their ministry will tell you this. The church fell to corruption as it became entangled with the politics of Europe at the time. While many people may be offended by these statements, they are none-the-less true after researching them and comparing their altered doctrines to the Word of God.

My only problem with the movie are 2, 3 scenes, 2 in conjunction with each other. The first was the little girl wiping Jesus' face. This is trying to give support to the veil of Veronica relic that Catholics look to for healing. The second starts with the scene where Peter humbles himself at Mary's feet, and then a later scene that Jesus says that He is the son of God's blessed handmaiden at the end of a line. MAybe I took this last one the wrong way, but these two scenes tied together seem to exalt Mary too high. Over all, a good, accurate movie, and in the coming months, I look to research into how this movie has had lasting impacts on people over time.

One other oddity i noticed about the movie, Jesus doesnt bleed. Blood splatters when he is struck, but his wounds instantly clot and do not bleed. The only Bleding is from his mouth and the spear wound at the end. I wonder, did jesus preserve himself by not bleeding? Or did he just produce unlimited amounts of blood? anyone got anything on that?

Hmm... That is a bit odd. You're right. I'm really not sure.

However, I did hear Pat Robertson saying something like, "They overdid it," and "a person couldn't have possibly survived that long. He would have died along the way." I might have gotten that wrong, but it was something like that.

Either way, I think it was a great movie. Sure I felt like throwing up, and I cried throughout it, but it really got the point across, and many people have been touched by it.

im suer jesus had to force his body to go on, I thought everyone already figured that one. We already know it would have been impossible for him to survive and then carry a crucifix.

He did bleed, throughout the whole movie, blood was running off him and splattering all around, and it was a lot from being in the center of the front row. And it is possible for a human being to live thru all of that, altho the human body may seem fragile, which it is in some sense to some extent, it can take a lot of abuse and pressure before death.

Back