The Peacemaking Church - Session 7 - Dec 22nd notes

RyanB

Legacy of Elijah Guild Leader
Very sorry I won't be able to attend tonight. We've spent the last seven lessons going over how to be peacemakers...this one addresses what to do when these efforts fail. Ultimately, we can not control what the OTHER person does in a conflict; we can only control our own actions. I'd encourage you if you find yourself in a situation like this, continue to display the love of Christ, so as not to lose your witness in the future. Others rejecting His teachings does not give us a license to "give up" and treat another person like they deserve. So, pray for God's strength to show his love, despite how others treat you.

Here are the notes for tonight:

1. We have divine weapons.

For thouth we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. (2 Cor 10:3-5)

2. Control your tongue.

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. (Rom 12:14)

3. Seek godly advisors--and listen to them!

Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited. (Rom 12:15-17)

4. Keep doing what is right.

Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. (Rom 12:17; cf. 1 Pet 2:12, 15; 3:15-16; 1 Sam 24:16-20)

5. Recognize your limits.

If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. (Rom 12:18-19)

6. The ultimate weapon: deliberate, focused love.
On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. (Rom 12:20-21; see Luke 6:27-31)

• Protects you from your own bitterness and resentment
  • May help to bring the other person to repentence.

Key Principle: Overcome evil with good.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of God (Matt 5:9)

Last edited:
Back