The warrior priest

ewoksrule

Interesting comments I read in a thread on this class.
I think the WP will be hugely popular at release and during the first couple of months. It's the most iconic class for Empire and the most featured in promotional art, the basic "holy" human warrior/defender is always popular.

Then, after people realize the WP is actually an intricately layered micromanaging support class rather than a frontline DPS tank that can heal themselves and instakill enemies, you'll see a huge dropoff after T2, with only dedicated players and the occassional few still trying to be MDPS.

I think that when the games goes live, there will be alot of WP's the first few days , but fast people will find out that the class is not what the majority of people thought it would be. Low dmg , decent healing but an awesome group support class.

I also think finding a good playing WP will be harder to find then other classes , due to the mulititasking a WP needs to do to be effective in a grp.

So my conclusion is : Alot of WP's the first week of realease , after that people will start rerolling other classes. The people who stays with the WP , would for the majority be people who knows how to play the class , and would be the more dedicated players imo.

There were quite a few others along these lines..

This is interesting take on the class. And if anything it makes me want to play it more now. I was a little turned off as many people in vent were all saying they wanted to go with the WP and I wondered if will become like the paladin in Redeemed-WoW (the overwhelmingly most popular class). Personally, I desire to play one of the most challenging classes as well as a support one, so I can really shine to my group. I wanted to roll a SM cause I know that tanks get the spotlight, but the "sword dance" mechanic felt a little too straight forward to me, feeling kinda of too simple to not do well.

I think that the WPs will play a vital role in support both in staying back and defending our BWs and ranged DPS and also charging in behind the tanks while guarded. It sounds like a lot of fun and a micromanagement task I am up for. WP-main ftw!! Oh and look at that, I dont even have to change my signature pic...well unless I roll my default female toon.

Last edited:
Oh and look at that, I dont even have to change my signature pic...well unless I roll my default female toon.

It's because that's my WP in that pic.

And I totally agree with your take on the career. As I've stated, it's one of the more complicated classes to play, managing two separate resource pools, one of which has to be expended to fill the other, and liberal juggling of defensive targets to get heals, buffs, and taps routed to the required player.

It's also, to me, one of the more fun careers, and the presence of a well played Warrior Priest will definitely be noted by a knowledgable party. Not necessarily by the insane numbers they put up, but by making everyone else that much better at their own jobs.

Last edited:
They have a interesting mechanic for sure, but until I get further in the game and get the feel of combat it self, I don't want to multitask with a lot riding on me to DPS AND Heal if we wouldn't have another healer in the group.

I leveled one to rank 6- it was fun in pve, but knowing my limitations, there's no way I could do one in rvr right now. My rvr skills are still too rusty.

I played on to level 10 earlier in Beta when they DPS'd like a WH and could heal. They are a cool class and concept that brings back memories of the Friar class in DAoC.

They are a very tough RvR class in the fact that managing your attack target, heal target, Righteous Fury, and Action Points. You also have to look at the flow of the battle and keep your teammates up. Too many Warrior Priests in Beta (not in this guild) pay more attention to using it a a melee DPS class that only self heals.

I agree with the fact that WP will be popular at release, but will taper off due to the multi-tasking skill required to play them. Same will happen to the DoK on Destruction. A person who manages it will be gold and recognized early.

I like that we have so many healers in this guild....just remember us Engineers need healing too! (Never been healed on my poor dwarf Engi oustide of guild runs).

Hi all,

Well.... I have played a Warrior Priest, Rune Priest and Arch Mage all up to level 11. That quote sounds right on the money with a WP. Even at the lower level, it can be challenging to heal and dps when your in the middle of the fray and trying to stay on your moving target while getting others targetted for healing. This class will be challenging but it definitely is a great support class since they are up close with the rest of the melee. One big note on these guys is that thier damage can be pretty decent but the biggest benefit is the heals they throw out to other melee during battle. This is huge because of the line of sight issues you have sometimes trying to heal when your an Archmage or Runepriest. They have some of the exact same healing spells as the other 2 classes. Best thing for a WP seems to be to throw heals on people sooner rather than later from what I can tell. If you wait for someone to get low, you won't heal them in time since you are limited on standing still and healing that target only for an extended period of time.

Cassadine/Souldestroyer

My WP is level 17 so far, and after last night's Phoenix Gate runs, I must say that Warrior Priests are not primary healers (and that's not because I don't want to heal either!). All they do is HoT's, and at level 17 they are nice for 1 on 1 or maybe 1 on someone else, but they will certainly not save the day in battles larger than that!

Warrior Priests have other heals too, their Moral Abilities... all of which heal in some fashion. The latest one I have received is called "Steal Life", it has quite the creative name and it does exactly that... it steals life and gives 50% of the damage it does back to the Warrior Priest. The problem with this spell is that it is a moral ability level one spell. So you would have to replace your other moral ability level one spell, a gigantic heal (800 damage heal for me at level 17) in order to use it. The moral ability level 2 is an AOE type of spell that hits all enemies around you and heals you and your group for the total amount of damage done. It's really nice, when it hits people.

Warrior Priests are not completely useless though. They are sufficient at keeping a fleeing flag runner up so long as they keep running and don't try to fight of the ensuing mob behind them. Like I said, Warrior Priests have HoT's that are sufficient in one on one battles. But because of the way they are made and because of how they rely on Righteous Fury to keep healing, they will never be main healers. One could argue that the Warrior Priest could use supplication to regain the lost Righteous Fury used when healing to keep someone up. The only way that could work is that if you used your big heal on them before you used Supplication, and that big heal is only usable when you have enough morale and when the downtime timer runs out. Because of how complicated all this is, Warrior Priests will always be DPS before they are healers (for the most part).

Pair a WP with an IB; with Oath Friend and Guard, the WP takes only light damage. The IB can take such a beating that the WP can usually keep him alive. At least, it works in T1 scenarios.

QFT. Odale and Sam have it right on, from what I can tell on my L11 WP. In Scenarios, I was tossing heals to people near me (if they're on my screen, they could get heals). I wasn't about to chase people down to heal them. I tried standing in the back and healing by only using Supplication. It's alright, but losing 5 seconds of cast time for channeling Supplication every 15 seconds (because you burn through the Righteous Fury waaay too fast) just doesn't seem effective for main heals.

I ran into another situation with a Rune Priest last night. The two of us faced off against a tank, 2 healers, and a DPS Destro group. We pushed them up and down the hill for the better part of 10 minutes. I couldn't DPS the healers down because they were cross-healing effectively, but just the two of us held solid against their group.

I think that the WP has enough HoTs, coupled with buffs, talents that make them a useful secondary to any group. But so far, they seem like the jack of all trades, master of none.

oh noes! its the wow paladin class all over again, can do some dps some heals some tanking. Oh wait.. I loved the wow paladin class

in RvR it seems to be almost even heals/dps. the BW has 40k dmg, the Runepriest has 40k heals and the WP has 20k heals and 20k dps

Last edited:
oh noes! its the wow paladin class all over again, can do some dps some heals some tanking. Oh wait.. I loved the wow paladin class

in RvR it seems to be almost even heals/dps. the BW has 40k dmg, the Runepriest has 40k heals and the WP has 20k heals and 20k dps
I have actually come very close to 40k damage before, but that was with a very good group.

Woah! Everything has changed at 20 for me. I went from a balanced dmg/heals to an outright healing machine. In the MT scenario I was top healer 4 times, with heals of 65,000+ a few times.

The new group heal works real well and having a 2nd tactic slot is great. I am running the one that gives me +90willpower and the one that gives back 10 more righteous fury with each skill. Now 1 supplication will give me enough to cast my direct heal, a HoT, and a group heal twice, then a divine assault and back to supplication.

Not sure what the future holds being only 21 but my mind has really changed from what I saw 1-19. The WP can post some serious RvR healing!

Yeh, I've seen a big difference even between ranks 10 and 17. I'm still doing around 8-10k damage, but healing for upto 30k in the scenarios. Sadly, I can't keep up with that kind of healing in keep raids - my system lags waaay too bad for that.

Looking at building a new system, I guess *sigh*

Yep. I spent about 6 hours looking over recommended items, finding similar items where some parts were already unavailable, checking prices, looking for sales...

looks like I can put together their "high budget build" (including the OS, which was not covered), "upgrading" to a mobo that supports upto 16G RAM (which was a touch cheaper than the ones they recommended, but still got good user reviews on hardware sites) .... all for about $975, including 3-day shipping on everything.

I am messing around with a WP at the moment. Fun class and takes coordination. Any help on mods or advice with the class from others would be appreciated.

Back