Tron 2 is out!

I've been promoting this one for months.  I can't wait to get it!  I thought I had listed it as a game I was planning to review, but maybe I didn't.  If you want to review it, go ahead.  That'll allow me to go through it at a slower pace.

If you want, let's play some MP.

SSquared if you called it, go for it...doesn't matter to me. I'll play ya on mutliplayer, if you can handle my 56K. I jotted down some notes on what I've seen so far if you're going to do the review.

If you are already playing through it and writing something up, that's cool. I don't know when I will fully get to play the game. I'm wanting to finish up 'Derek' first. I had just sort of got the impression no one else was interested in getting the game.

I am interested in the game...

But I have a sure-fire philosophy; if the demo works, the full game will work. If the demo doesnt work, the full game wont work.

The Tron2 demo doesnt work for me at the moment, but hopefully that will change once I get my video card here soon.

So Cheryl, what is your early opinion of the game? I might go and buy it today. I read IGN's review last night and the reviewer said there wasn't as much action as he expected and lots of jumping puzzles. I figured there would be jumping based on the little one in the SP demo.

The coolest thing I find about the game is just to be in the computer environment like in the movie. It is so beautifully rendered and keeps with the essence of the movie.

But I guess the question is, will the graphics and atmosphere carry me through the game or will there be some point I might ask, "OK, where is the gameplay and action?"

I too am a sucker for the glowy Tron feel. The lithtech engine is awesome and the people look great.

The music composer is the ssame from the movie so the music is very techy and adds to the atmosphere.

As far as action you run into ICP and they trigger when you disable stuff. So it all seems kind of timed. I do this and okay here comes more bad guys. etc

Yes there are some jumping puzzles. You have to increase your jump attribute with a sub routine. The whole loading routines is cool. You can become corrupted so check up on your self.

I'm stuck at a part right now where the system is being formatted and I have to exit or die within a short amount of time. I really do hate timed sequences....

I'm getting better at light cylces or it's pretty easy on normal difficulty.

This all plays into the story line. I have yet to see how long singler player is I did free one of my main objectives ma3a so hopefully there's more in store.

Multiplayer I can see getting old but I haven't played it yet. I bought the game for singleplayer.

Oh cool. Sounds good.

Walter/Wendy Carlos did the music? SWEEET! I was quite impressed with the music in the demos.

I can't stand timed things either. Although it worked well as the VERY last thing in Medal of Honor.

Well, last night I stepped into the computer world as Jet Bradley. I played through the first mission and finished it this morning. The first mission is hard to rate. You are sort of getting used to everything (using the disc is VERY different from anything I'm used to) plus you talk to people and read messages all meant to help you understand how to play the game. Though useful, it made the first mission a bit disjointed.

I really like the whole subroutine thing. And having to disinfect and defrag is an excellent idea. I think they do a really good job of using computer terms without it sounding forced or goofy. In other words, they aren't using the terms just to use them. They actually make sense in the way they are portrayed within the game. I thought the same thing about the movie.

I'm slowly getting better using the disc. I'm not using auto-aim, though. But as I get better, the game becomes much more enjoyable. At first, I was reloading a bunch of times and it became a little frustrating. Did anyone else run into this or am I just totally lame?
smile.gif

And now that I'm feeling comfortable with the disc, I've moved off to light cycle training.

Wahhh. I missed a build note on the first mission. I may go back to find the missing note.

I've heard that generally speaking, this game is extremely hard, so you're not doing bad so far
smile.gif

I'll be getting it sometime in the near future, but I don't have the money right now. I'm really looking forward to playing it though as it is made by the same people who made No One Lives Forever.

Yes. The game is kinda hard. The hard part is the enemies are fast. And when you have 2 or 3 on you at one time, it gets pretty tough. I've now learned to throw and duck/hide. But it can sometimes seem like an eternity waiting for your disc to return.

The light cycles were a little tough as well. Took me awhile to get used to them.

Hmmm, well that is rather disappointing to hear. I am already finding the game to be a bunch of reloads from my last save. I still haven't gotten into the groove of the game. It's frustrating when there is that one flying contraption that can get you in about 2 shots. Or when the enemy is all about you and you have no clue where they popped in from. And they give you such a limited number of power-ups.

I think I may need to start again on the easy setting.

I just read some of the reader reviews at Gamespot and they are saying the same things, so I guess I'm not alone.

Even so, I am not turned off by the game. There is enough in there to keep me wanting to play more.

you can change the difficulty at anytime...I temporarily went easy on the format sequence. Now stuck at com port puzzle but read gamefaqs.com and think I know my way now. I'll find out when I get home...

That's one thing I love about Monolith's games; you can turn down the level of difficulty at anytime during the game
smile.gif

I've turned it down to Easy and it's still somewhat difficult.

There is a patch that came out. Mostly deals with MP, but also lets you skip over the light cycles. I'm downloading it right now.

yeah I grabbe the 23MB patch after I beat all the light cycles :p the thing that stink with the light cyles is that you can't quick save but at least it plops you in the last area you were at...some have 2-3 levels to beat

Back