Unreal 2 XMP Impressions...

Shagz

Point form...

- overall, it's a wicked game & a fantastic addition to the unreal universe

- developers made a great decision: rather than provide the same ol' tired multiplayer gametypes like tdm & ctf & split the player base along gametype lines, they created one new gametype & did it really really well, there by insuring a high standard through a single focus, & a dedicated unified player base (if you're playing unreal 2 xmp, there's only one game type to choose from & everyone else is playing that gt too, unlike ut2k3 where you have players split up across several gametypes & dozens of mods)

- class-based, arguably, promotes more team-work & more strategy. Since each class has its own strengths & weaknesses, no one player can accomplish much on their own, so a speedy ranger will always need a tech to help him hack into a base faster or a gunner to take out defensive sentry guns. Likewise, those two classes will have problems get an artifact (re: 'flag') across open ground unless a ranger is present to either snipe out nme rangers or run the artifact quickly back to base.

- legend also did a smart thing by combining roles served by several traditional classes (re: 'team fortress classes') into a simple to manage 3 class system. To use team fortress lingo, the ranger is your Recon, sniper & medic, the tech is a kind of soldier & ng mix, & the gunner is part minigunner, grenaider & flametrooper w/ the soldier's rocket launcher

- the unreal xmp gametype sort've combines - successfully - several traditional gametypes into one. CTF is present because you have to steal artifacts from the nme base & cap 'em in yours. Domination is seen in the capturing & defending of generators placed through out the map. TDM is obvious & you have Team Fortress in the class system.

- xmp also comes w/ a handy tutorial that steps you through everything

- a lot of people have compared xmp favourably to BF1942, but I can't speak to that as I've never played it.

- I think the closest comparison you can make here is to Tribes; although I never played played Tribes either, that seems to be the general consensus that I've been hearing.

- community support for xmp seems to be building & a community map pack is already under way

- it can't all be good. The game itself is great, but I've already been in 2 games now w/ rampant team killer problems. Fortunately, xmp's scoring system makes it quite obvious who the punks are & I believe the server can be configured to kick repeat offenders automatically

- a personal gripe, why is tking such a problem in some games? I've never understood why anyone would enjoy killing their own teammates on a public server. Why can't they focus their bullets on the real enemy if they want to destroy something? What pleasure do they get from helping the other team win? Never had this problem in Q3F, but I digress...

- I forgot to mention the vehicles; this is my one complaint about xmp & that's the handling & health of the vehicles. These complaints, I admit, come more from hours of halo sessions where we had warthogs that could spin on a dime and are indescrutible, but still, the vehicles in XMP feel like they're armoured with tin foil.

- the only other complaint I could possibly have is that I'm missing a few more useful radio comm binds. The ones that are there are pretty good, but there could be some better ones.

Does Unreal 2 require a unique CD key to play online? If not, I'd like to borrow a copy from a friend and try out the full XMP experience. I played the demo for about five minutes (without reading the manual) and think it's a game I could learn to enjoy if I learned how to play.

If not, can anybody find me a copy cheaper than $18.45? ^_^;; I missed out on the sale when CompUSA was selling Unreal 2 bundled with Civilization 2 for $10 and I'm kicking myself for it now. ;_;

In order to play XMP, all you need to have is the "Play" disc (Disc 3) from Unreal 2. You also need it for when you're installing XMP in the first place.

Actually, you might not even need the "Play" disc in to play, maybe you only need it for installing. I'll check tonight.

Thanks, Shagz!
biggrin.gif
Let me know how it goes.

Also, do you have to enter a CD key before installing Unreal 2? If so, then they likely use some sort of authentication system to bar users from playing if the CD key they type in is already in use.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CCGR @ Dec. 18 2003,9:23)]my unreal 2 play disc cracked
sad.gif
I can clone another copy of my friend's CD if you'd like, Cheryl (or I can just send you my duplicate). E-mail me at tek7 AT cgalliance DOT org and we can arrange shipping.

If you'd rather skip the shipping bit and can snag a trial version of Alcohol 120% (CD recording software), I can dump an ISO from the clone, RAR it, and put it up on my FTP. In that case, I would need you to download it overnight (after 1AM), and you'd still need WinRAR and a CD burner or drive emulation program (such as Daemon Tools) to git it goin'. If you prefer to download the RARed CD image file, e-mail me at tek7 AT cgalliance DOT org with the username and password you want to use for my FTP server and I'll set it up.

FYI: You need the Play disc *only* to install...after that, you can play XMP w/o the disc in the drive. And no, no CD Key required, just the Play disc.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shagz @ Dec. 19 2003,1:10)]And no, no CD Key required, just the Play disc.
Rock on. I'll have to give XMP a try during my next free chunk of gaming time...some time in Feburary. >_< Nah, just kidding. I'll have time before then, but I probably won't feel like waiting through a game install when I can just fire up Natural Selection. Still, I do want to check this out some time. Looks awesome.

biggrin.gif

Yea, I'm very quickly finding out that the game DEMANDS teamwork and communication. If everybody's trying to be a super star and is capturing artifacts, the team won't win unless another squad is running around capturing (and holding) generators, and another team is holding the permimeter around the base or just the artifact/flag room.

In that alone the game can be very rewarding (it's great to see a team really come together) or frustrating (nobody works together to help the team).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shagz @ Dec. 22 2003,10:02)]In that alone the game can be very rewarding (it's great to see a team really come together) or frustrating (nobody works together to help the team).
We need to get you playing Natural Selection. *chuckle* It's the saaame deal. Teamwork = win, no teamwork = skulk biting your kneecaps as he lunges out of the shadows. Of course, to play Natural Selection, you'd need Half-Life first. >_<

Anyway, yeh, I still intend on trying out Unreal 2 XMP soon. Does All-Seeing Eye support it yet?

re: All Seeing Eye support...no idea.

re: Natural Selection...what, what's the minimum install for NS? I have the original HL kicking around somewhere, and I also have that "limited version" of HL - can't remember what it was called, but I got it free with my old ATI video card and I received TF and CS with it as well. That plus the NS downloads, is that all I need?

S.

EDIT: Half Life "Uplink" was that freebie version I had. But I guess this is all obsolete now with Steam, right?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shagz @ Dec. 29 2003,2:52)]I [...] have that "limited version" of HL [...] That plus the NS downloads, is that all I need?
Unfortunately, mods require the full version of Half-Life. I'm not quite sure how they included TeamFortress Classic and Counter-Strike, though. Odd. If you're on broadband and can find that Half-Life install disk, it's worth a shot!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But I guess this is all obsolete now with Steam, right?

Actually, NS 2.01 runs on WON authentication servers. NS 3.0, which we all hope will be released very soon, runs on the Steam system.

It'd probably be best to shell out the fifteen or twenty bucks and download the Steam client with all official game caches (weighing in at over 700MB). Then you'll be able to snag all the nifty mods available for Half-Life: Natural Selection, Sven Co-op, Science & Industry--the list goes on and on.

biggrin.gif

Back