Unreal Tournament 2003

Pilgrim

I'm thinking of picking up Unreal Tournament 2003, a store near me is selling it for $9.99 CAD (Radioshack..now its called 'The Source'). This is not what you all play, correct? You play 2004? What are the main differences between UT2003 and 2004?

I'm not planning on playing a lot, I liked the first Unreal Tournament a lot and figured I would pick this up.

UT2003 and UT2004 are nearly identical but not compatible. The main differences are:

• UT2003 calculates wall dodges slightly differently
  • UT2003 has a laggier netcode
  • UT2003 runs worse on slower machines
  • UT2003 lacks the popular Onslaught and Assault modes that UT2004 has
  • UT2004 has more and better maps-- nearly twice the content for every gametype
  • UT2004 had the Make Something Unreal contest which spawned literally dozens of professional-quality mods available for free (Jailbreak, Team ArenaMaster, Red Orchestra, et. al.)

I would suggest that you get UT2004 instead, because you would nearly always have someone to play with (I see Killerah on about once a week, I see Shagz and ColdSteel on about twice a month, and I'm on 4-5 nights per week).

Additionally, you can get UT2004 from NewEgg for 15 bucks: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832129122

Overall, UT2003 isn't bad, but nobody plays it-- everyone has moved on to UT2004. And there is really no single-player to speak of other than a series of bot matches, much like the Battlefield series.

Last edited:
He speaks the truth. Getting UT2003 nowdays is usually a waste of money (unless it's free or absurdly cheap).

Yeah..I picked it up mostly to play with my friend on LAN..it cost me $7 plus taxes..Canadian. I will pickup Unreal 2004 soon..or maybe wait for Unreal 2007. Thank you for the info Kraniac!

No problem. I still have my UT2003 discs somewhere, I'll see if I can't dig 'em up and reinstall so I can play some games with you.

Back