Venture

Zeromus

Saracen's Venture

By "Dante".

Ennio placed his chain back onto its belt as the wretched buggane fell to its knees; the smell of rotting flesh and metal bits still in the air.
He smiled to himself and procured a medicore jug of honeymeed. He gulped down the sweet beverage and wiped the frothy residue from his beard. Morning soon broke from the clouds upon the Isle of Glass. The bright radiance beemed upon his crimson and onyx chainmail--shining against the tan contours of his face. Saying a small prayer he then took his chain again and walked towards another undead creature.

As he slew the foul abomination, voices from the past came into his head.

"I love you, my darling Ennio."
"Feel the pain that is in living.."
"Christ will always be with you, Mr. Bangellia. All you need to do is offer your life to Him."
"Come with me, Saracen. I shall right all of the wrongs which have been placed upon your life."

A gentle tear fell from his chin as he took what little coin he could from the sodden warrior. He had lived for such a long time in his eyes, yet the youth truly spoke to him.

"God is always there for you, Mr. Bangellia. Please remember that no matter what hardships you may face, that God will always redeem those who believe.", said a young Paladin.
"How do I know this god of yours exists? My eyes have seen nothing but pain in the last few months. How can I trust a god that doesn't respond to the voices of the suffering?", replied Ennio.
The Paladin looked around Camelot Hills and smiled to himself.

"Do you see the air, Mr. Bangellia?"
"No, I do not see the air.", said Ennio.
"God is much like the air. You do believe that air exists, yes?"
"Indeed I do."
"You cannot see the air, nor can you see God. Have you ever felt a strong gust?"
"Of course I have. I have been a farmer for all my life you know. I've seen the air destroy my crops and scare my animals."
"You are right, but the air also brought your crops the rain to nourish your fields. It scattered seeds to help your crops and it kept your clothes nice and dry."
"So while bad things do happen, good things also happen as well?"
"Exactly! The Lord is much like air and wind. It works in ways no one can comprehend. Though it is invisible, the presence is always there. Unlike the air, however, God blesses those who follow His Word and even tests the faith."
"But how do you stay faithful when such things happen? Most would consider you a fool."
"That may be true, Mr. Bangellia, but I am no fool. I have followed His Calling and I am very happy with my life. No matter what grief I may endure, I am always in the Lord's Hands."

Ennio took another drink of the mead and sat quietly as the wind howled gently around him. This young man had taught him so much in the short time they had adventured together. Though Ennio was skilled in the body, his holy friend was skilled in the heart and soul.

"I wish I could find you again, my good friend. You have been like a son to me.", thought Ennio. "I am so glad the Lord has crossed our paths. I only pray that you find what you are looking for across the uncharted seas."

A terrifying memory came into Ennio's mind as he sat in the field. Bloodied, poisoned, and crippled, it strut around him as if it was playing a twisted game. Ennio saw his friend running off into the distance as he had been ordered to, and smiled softly as he had finally found learned what true happiness and peace truly meant. The creature squaked and motioned towards Ennio again. It began to slowly peck at his armor with its powerful beak as it delighted in the sick torment. Ennio let out many cries to God and prayed with all his might.

Suddenly a strange mist surrounded the beast followed by a force of convulsions as if it had been crushed by an invisible force. It let out a cry which flew all over Salisbury and soon turned into a pile of stinking flesh and dust. Ennio could not believe his eyes; his friend was right after all! His vision beginning to fade, Ennio saw a tall man with a gray robe begin to walk towards him.

Many days were lacking in memories as Ennio's wounds were nursed back to health within the walls of Camelot. Opening his eyes for the first time in many, many hours, he clearly saw the one who had saved him. He was a tall Avalonian with soft gray hair. His green eyes seemed very cold, but Ennio sensed a caring heart through the sullen exterior.

"It seems as if I have been saved by you, young man! Praise to He.", said Ennio.
The Avalonian stared blankly at Ennio and motioned forward. His voice was like a viper, but with a hint of goodness.
"You were just lucky I was around to save you, Saracen.", said the Avalonian.
'Indeed! Thank you so much, sir. I owe you my life."
"You are Ennio Bangellia, correct?"
"Yes I am, sir. Do you know of me?"
"You helped usher in the strength of a certain Paladin I know. For that I thank you, Mr. Bangellia."
Ennio smiled warmly.
"No thanks needed, sir. You have saved my life."
"I sense you have suffered great pain in your life. Would a Necromancer be to blame?"
Ennio looked at the wooden floor sadly and nodded his head.
"This man has also caused my destiny to be forever changed. I wish for his slow and painful death. Together we can defeat this abomination that has ruined our lives. Together we can set our destinies back to the right course."
"I do not wish to kill in the name of revenge, my friend. God has done these things for a reason."
The Avalonian stared blankly towards the ground as his staff seemed to hum with a mysterious energy.
"Do you not believe that He calls those to seek justice? It is the duty of a Paladin to seek justice, is it not?"
Ennio scratched his head and looked again towards the man.
"I am not very well versed in the scriptures, good sir. I cannot say what is right and what is wrong to do."
"Think of your family, Mr. Bangellia. Think of your loved ones; all slaughtered in the blink of an eye. And for what purpose? To further increase the power of their killer. What would the souls of your family say when you refused to avenge them?"
"I.. I do not know, sir."
"And what of the years you have spent on your farm? The blood, sweat, and tears of your family's bloodline have been forever destroyed. Your ancestors' hard work has been ruined.due to one man. Will you let their hard work be for nothing?"
Ennio sighed sadly to himself. Were these words true to his new faith, or were they simply the words which sounded the best? He could not decide.
"I'm not sure what to do, young man. Your words speak to me, but I cannot condone the killing of a man who calls Albion his home.", said Ennio.
"I didn't say you had to kill him. I merely asked for your help. Trust me, Mr. Bangellia. No blood will be spilled by your hands."
With this, the Avalonian procured a copper pendant which had been torn in two. Ennio realized that this pendant's other half belonged to his holy friend.
"You helped my brother, Mr. Bangellia. Will you not do the same for me? Will you not help me right what is wrong?"
"I will not kill this Necromancer?"
"No. I merely wish for you to extract vital information for me. I must learn how to be free of this man's snare."
Ennio nodded slowly and shook the Avalonian's hand. He felt a strange mix of light and dark inside his hero's soul as if an internal battle between good and evil took place.
"There is something else you must do, Mr. Bangellia. I wish for you to disguise yourself as a Reaver. This Necromancer, Suluclac, will not listen to just anyone. Please take my advice and uncover as much information as you can."

Ennio finished his mead and put the flaggon back into his pack. The undead ceased to roam in this area for the time being, and it made him very happy.

As he headed back to Caer Gothwaite his mind thought of one simple question; "My dear Maudin.. will we still be friends?"

Just wait until you see what happens when Golgaros gets to lvl 50. I have quite alot of surprises in store.
cool.gif

Back