Warrior tanking

lanki

This is a really interesting post (stolen from HK forums) on building good agro and managing rage to generate the optimal hate (tpr = threat per rage). The post may contain some foul language (since it's an interesting topic I skimmed past the troll comments).

http://forums.elitistjerks.com/viewtopic.php?id=6877&p=1

The best reply I found to the OP was by their MT:

"In general I use HS much more than sunder.

I almost always start out the same: auto-attack once, use bloodrage (after engaging, that way you get aggro from the rage gain), queue up HS, hit shield block, revenge, HS again, then sunder if rage permits. After the opening salvo though I do different things, depending on the fight.

On a fight where rage is not an issue and I don't need to break fears (Vael, for example) I will HS with every attack and sunder\revenge between auto-attack cooldowns.

On something like Broodlord (when I do not currently have aggro) where I am not getting a ton of rage from being hit I will sunder every few seconds and only HS when I have at least 25 rage or so.

On fights where I have to be able to quickly change stance to break fear or something (Nef, Magmadar, Onyxia) I will generally avoid sunder unless I know for sure fear is not cooled down yet. The global cooldown that sunder sets off can make the difference between mitigating a fear and getting the raid shadowflamed.

Anyway, getting back to the original question, most of the time I prioritize HS over sunder and there are no fights in the game where I would try to hold aggro by just spamming sunder.

Edit: I will not HS or sunder if I for some reason less than 20 rage, since I always want 5 rage available for revenge."

The 20 rage he saves is for Sheild Block + Revenge combo. Most warriors feel that SB+ revenge/heroic queued a better combo for building agro over sunder spam. Why? Heroic Strike DOES NOT put a global cooldown on all of your spells, so you can just queue it up when you have enough rage and continue sb/revege combo hence building a great amount of threat in a short amount of time. Sunder spam doesnt work well physical dmg dealers will get instant agro if they crit big.

Hence run as many AQ20 as you can run and get revenge/hs book so you can build a good amount of threat faster. I used to play a warrior like marvel vs capcom, buttom smashing anything in sight! But after reading this post, I don't button smash that much. There are many things past MC that cannot be taunted hence get used to tanking without using taunt, and use SB+Revenge to generate hate and avoid/block crits/crushing blows.

Last edited:
Back