Ways to Improve

Mr. Mask

I'm wondering how to improve as a Christian, and be closer to God. Have made attempts--but I feel very stuck, unable to get better through prayer and bible-reading.

Do any of you feel similarly, or have ideas for how to progress?

The best advice is to be like Christ. Naturally, the next question is "Wut?"

Look at what Christ spent his time doing.
Scripture - He was an expert in Scripture so you should emerse yourself in studying the Scriptures. There' no magical trick to understanding it, just find a translation you understand. Read it alone and read it with other Christians (a bible study as mentioned above).
Fellowship - He spent a lot of his time with his disciples. He went to church (synagogue). Those are important aspects of growth in the faith. We can discuss this further if you want.
Prayer - Jesus prayed all the time. It was common in the first century for a devout Jew to pray three times a day. Jesus also prayed in groups as well as on his own.
Service - Jesus lived a life of service. He healed people, he fed people, he taught, he lead, pretty much any kind of service you can think of.

There are other spiritual disciplines you can begin to explore, but these are good places to start.

Certainly, fellowship has been a tricky one for me. I'm a fairly solitary individual.
Be that as it may, remember Jesus spent time in "a solitary place" as well as in the congregation and among his disciples. Balance is the key.

I'm wondering how to improve as a Christian, and be closer to God. Have made attempts--but I feel very stuck, unable to get better through prayer and bible-reading.

Do any of you feel similarly, or have ideas for how to progress?

The first thing that is important is to make sure that you confess to The Lord any sin you have committed to repair/restore intimate fellowship. It is normal to feel "stuck" at times, it is a battle against flesh vs the spirit. The fact that you are feeling this way is a good indicator of your true faith. I would take that to heart. Many so called "Christians" wouldn't even dream of posting something like this.

Another thing I do is memorize scripture. Write them down on index cards and carry them around if you have too. I do and have them littered on my computer desk atm, lol.

A question I have is: Do you use a Study Bible? I have a NIV Study Bible and a KJV Study Bible. I plan on getting a NASB Study Bible soon, heh. These can help with truly meditating on the Word. What I mean by "meditate" is to think about the context of scripture and understand its application. For example, Paul writes to the Corinthians in 1 Cor 11:

But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved. 6 For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head.
Does this apply to us today or not? If not, why not? If so, why?

One thing I am guilty of is reading through scripture too fast without reflecting on it. Maybe take time to read less but meditate/reflect on what you read more.

Also, set aside a time of day for prayer. We all pray throughout the day, but, set aside a special time just for prayer only (not Bible study although I recommend that too).

All these things have helped build me up in the faith and nourished me spiritually. I cannot sit here and tell you I live some Spirit filled life moving mountains and calling down fire from heaven (heh) and living perfectly. I struggle daily. I sin daily, probably more than I realize, but God is merciful and understands our struggles thanks to Jesus our mediator, the God Man.

Again, I hope all these things you will take into consideration and I will pray for you and I hope you do the same for me.

Blessings,
Daniel

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to post this awesome sermon that might help- "The Fatherhood of God" : http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=1803201531

Last edited:
Hmm... I probably need an extra solitary place. Will try and think of something.

The first thing that is important is to make sure that you confess to The Lord any sin you have committed to repair/restore intimate fellowship. It is normal to feel "stuck" at times, it is a battle against flesh vs the spirit. The fact that you are feeling this way is a good indicator of your true faith. I would take that to heart. Many so called "Christians" wouldn't even dream of posting something like this.
If I thought I was doing great, that'd be a really bad sign. As it is... even though I know and understand a lot of things, I don't know how to change my way of life to match them. I'm bad tempered, give up easily, and don't have enough love or enthusiasm. I pray not only for forgiveness, but to no longer live this way.

Another thing I do is memorize scripture. Write them down on index cards and carry them around if you have too. I do and have them littered on my computer desk atm, lol.

A question I have is: Do you use a Study Bible? I have a NIV Study Bible and a KJV Study Bible. I plan on getting a NASB Study Bible soon, heh. These can help with truly meditating on the Word. What I mean by "meditate" is to think about the context of scripture and understand its application. For example, Paul writes to the Corinthians in 1 Cor 11:

Does this apply to us today or not? If not, why not? If so, why?
Recently, I've been watching an analysis of Genesis by a fellow named Chuck Missler. I also try my best to interpret and understand the scriptures on my own, with limited success.

With that particular verse, I think that was to do with the fact that prostitutes would uncover their heads (so, the equivalent would be wearing skimpy clothing to church, nowadays?)? Assuming I remember correctly, and that was it, I wouldn't say it applies to nowadays--so much as the equivalent of it would.

That's my guess, but it quite easily could be wrong.

One thing I am guilty of is reading through scripture too fast without reflecting on it. Maybe take time to read less but meditate/reflect on what you read more.
I will be very guilty of this. I have trouble focusing on things in general, specially scripture :-/...

Also, set aside a time of day for prayer. We all pray throughout the day, but, set aside a special time just for prayer only (not Bible study although I recommend that too).
This is a good idea. Been meaning to get into a schedule... maybe I'll try again, and spend time praying?

When would you say is a good time to pray? I heard Saint Patrick prayed a hundred times a day, or something ot that nature.

All these things have helped build me up in the faith and nourished me spiritually. I cannot sit here and tell you I live some Spirit filled life moving mountains and calling down fire from heaven (heh) and living perfectly. I struggle daily. I sin daily, probably more than I realize, but God is merciful and understands our struggles thanks to Jesus our mediator, the God Man.

Again, I hope all these things you will take into consideration and I will pray for you and I hope you do the same for me.
Thank you for the well-thought out advice. You and everyone else have made me feel better about this.

I will pray for you, as well as I can. I hope it helps, despite myself.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to post this awesome sermon that might help- "The Fatherhood of God" : http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninf...SID=1803201531
Thank you for the link. I will listen to it now.

Hmm... I probably need an extra solitary place. Will try and think of something.

If I thought I was doing great, that'd be a really bad sign. As it is... even though I know and understand a lot of things, I don't know how to change my way of life to match them. I'm bad tempered, give up easily, and don't have enough love or enthusiasm. I pray not only for forgiveness, but to no longer live this way.

You might want to check out this book: When I Don't Desire God: How to Fight For Joy by John Piper (I own a copy and have read it. It's worth a read but some of the chapters are worth skipping as they are just reinforcing Calvinism and if you know the tenants you can skip those chapters)

Another book which I do not own but seems to have been a popular book for years is: Knowing God by J.I. Packer <-I have this book on my to buy list.

Recently, I've been watching an analysis of Genesis by a fellow named Chuck Missler. I also try my best to interpret and understand the scriptures on my own, with limited success.

Yea, I've heard of Mr. Missler. Keep at it! There are also many study tools available online. Here are a couple:
The NET Bible
"Come and See" Studies by Ariel Ministries Alot of topics to listen to or download the PDFs.

With that particular verse, I think that was to do with the fact that prostitutes would uncover their heads (so, the equivalent would be wearing skimpy clothing to church, nowadays?)? Assuming I remember correctly, and that was it, I wouldn't say it applies to nowadays--so much as the equivalent of it would.

That's my guess, but it quite easily could be wrong.

Yep, exactly. Paul was writing to a specific church in a specific time with their own cultural setting. Women who did not cover their heads in the ancient city of Corinth were deemed prostitutes or lascivious because, well, they were. The head covering was basically a sign in that culture. Excellent, especially if you didn't have to look it up, which it sounds like you didn't! Alot of people don't know that whenever I bring that passage up. I think you are the first to get it right without looking it up.

I will be very guilty of this. I have trouble focusing on things in general, specially scripture :-/...
I have issues with focus/concentration as well. Especially when it comes to the Scriptures because they can be so complex when you delve into theological or doctrinal issues. I have tried numerous herbal supplements like Ginko Biloba to help to no avail. The best for me is still caffeine (pill or green tea, don't drink coffee anymore) which can also induce anxiety so it's not always a good thing.

This is a good idea. Been meaning to get into a schedule... maybe I'll try again, and spend time praying?

Definitely. Even if you are unsure exactly what to pray about, perhaps just pray for the Lord to put things on your mind to pray about! Also, definitely pray about your concentration issues.

When would you say is a good time to pray? I heard Saint Patrick prayed a hundred times a day, or something ot that nature.
As far as setting aside a "special" time of prayer, I try to make sure I pray @ 9:30pm but I often forget. I basically give myself between 9 and 10pm. Other than that, I thank God every morning that He has blessed me with a new day to live in although it certainly isn't easy. I also pray throughout at the day at various times for various reasons. Just keep praying, and praising God for the little things that do go right.

Thank you for the well-thought out advice. You and everyone else have made me feel better about this.

I will pray for you, as well as I can. I hope it helps, despite myself.

Thank you for the link. I will listen to it now.

Anytime you want to discuss on forums or PM or w/e, its great. That is what brothers in Christ are for, to build up and edify each other. Pray for my concentration issues too! :)

Blessings,
Daniel

Last edited:
As far as setting aside a "special" time of prayer, I try to make sure I pray @ 9:30pm but I often forget. I basically give myself between 9 and 10pm. Other than that, I thank God every morning that He has blessed me with a new day to live in although it certainly isn't easy. I also pray throughout at the day at various times for various reasons. Just keep praying, and praising God for the little things that do go right.
Lots of good suggestions. One thing I want to point out tho. The purpose of prayer is not to ask for things. Certainly there is a place in prayer for requests, but far too often people's prayer lives turn into a spiritual convenience store where they try to do things so they can get things from God. The purpose of prayer is to get closer and communicate with God. One way I do this is by focusing on Scripture to start my prayer time. I often start my prayer time reading a section from Psalms. Are you familiar with the PRAY or ACTS format for prayer?

You might want to check out this book: When I Don't Desire God: How to Fight For Joy by John Piper (I own a copy and have read it. It's worth a read but some of the chapters are worth skipping as they are just reinforcing Calvinism and if you know the tenants you can skip those chapters)

Another book which I do not own but seems to have been a popular book for years is: Knowing God by J.I. Packer <-I have this book on my to buy list.

Yea, I've heard of Mr. Missler. Keep at it! There are also many study tools available online. Here are a couple:
The NET Bible
"Come and See" Studies by Ariel Ministries Alot of topics to listen to or download the PDFs.
I will keep at it, and check out the links you've posted. Thank you very much.

Yep, exactly. Paul was writing to a specific church in a specific time with their own cultural setting. Women who did not cover their heads in the ancient city of Corinth were deemed prostitutes or lascivious because, well, they were. The head covering was basically a sign in that culture. Excellent, especially if you didn't have to look it up, which it sounds like you didn't! Alot of people don't know that whenever I bring that passage up. I think you are the first to get it right without looking it up.
It can be useful, knowing some of ancient history and tradition (makes the bible much less confusing, when you realize the implications of the times, and when they apply).

I have issues with focus/concentration as well. Especially when it comes to the Scriptures because they can be so complex when you delve into theological or doctrinal issues. I have tried numerous herbal supplements like Ginko Biloba to help to no avail. The best for me is still caffeine (pill or green tea, don't drink coffee anymore) which can also induce anxiety so it's not always a good thing.
Being anxious makes it hard for me to focus xD. Hopefully, we'll be able to get better at this through prayer and method (prayer will hopefully reveal a method).

Definitely. Even if you are unsure exactly what to pray about, perhaps just pray for the Lord to put things on your mind to pray about! Also, definitely pray about your concentration issues.

That's a good idea. Though, I wonder if I need first to pray for answers on how I should pray. Often feel like I'm just rattling off words without meaning them, or I try to talk to God as if he isn't there (sort of like half of me isn't connecting with my believing half). Although, I might just be paranoid that I'm misconducting my prayers.

I will do my best. The enthusiasm is one of the most important parts. Need to get back to being enthusiastic.

Anytime you want to discuss on forums or PM or w/e, its great. That is what brothers in Christ are for, to build up and edify each other. Pray for my concentration issues too! :)

Blessings,
Daniel
Thank you again for taking this time to help me. Encouragement can do a lot of good :).

Lots of good suggestions. One thing I want to point out tho. The purpose of prayer is not to ask for things. Certainly there is a place in prayer for requests, but far too often people's prayer lives turn into a spiritual convenience store where they try to do things so they can get things from God. The purpose of prayer is to get closer and communicate with God. One way I do this is by focusing on Scripture to start my prayer time. I often start my prayer time reading a section from Psalms. Are you familiar with the PRAY or ACTS format for prayer?
Yeah, this one often worries me... What I want, is to be how God wants me to be--but at the same time, I might be asking for that in a greedy way, since I hunger for self-improvement.

Psalms is a good idea, since they seem to work on a more emotional level (getting emotionally close to God is better than understanding God, perhaps?). Will make sure to try that next time I pray.

I haven't heard of the PRAY or ACTS format for prayer till now, I'm afraid. I am interested, though--what is it?

I am not familiar with PRAY or ACTS format for prayer but I think if you are mature enough in the faith you should be able to come to God on your own and pray without a guide or structured format but I am not discouraging that at all. The only prayer guides I use are ones for certain ministries that get sent out and give you a list of names to pray for and what they are in need of. With that said, I will google it or perhaps you can provide some links?

Prayer should be more natural to the mature Christian. Like you said it is to commune with God. I do like your suggestions, though.

Regarding praying the Psalms, I have done that many times! (I'm surprised because I'm glad I'm not the only one heh) But also remember if praying the Psalms you are praying the what David (and others) recorded and what they asked for. Now that I think about it as I type, I have a prayer book and in my prayer book I used Psalms as guide for my own written prayers when in need and in distress. Also keep in mind some Psalms are Messsianic (prophesying the coming of the Messiah/Christ) and some Psalms are Imprecatory (calling down Judgment on your enemies) I'm pretty sure you don't want to pray Psalm 58 (heh).

I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments about "asking". God is not some "giant Santa Claus" in the sky but no problem is too small to ask God for some help. Prayer is often praise and probably should be praise 99% of the time but He is not too busy or too big for even the smallest of our troubles. For example, I went food shopping yesterday and after I was done I was surprised that I didn't spend as much as I thought. So in prayer I praised the Triune God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and thanked him that I did not spend as much as I had thought and I thanked him for the fact I have money to buy food and enjoy it.

Another important thing I would like to make you all aware of is that God exists outside of space and time. So for example, if you forget to pray about a surgery for a loved one, and you remember afterward it is completed, you can pray after the surgery is completed that the surgery will go well and God will hear you before the surgery is even started. This is how powerful our God is. He does not exist on our time line so to speak. He exists outside of space and time.

@ Mr. Mask
Keep fighting the good fight as Paul instructed Timothy (1 Timothy 6:12) and feel free to email me: w i l l i a m w r i g h t j r @ g m a i l . c o m
(minus the spaces ofc hehe -- I think my e-mail is viewable in my profile to all members as well)

I felt like I was "stuck" like you say as well. A lot has changed in a relatively short period of time, but I can tell you some of the things that helped me.

Take time each day, quiet time if you will, to spend listening, and talking to God. This means getting away from distractions, read your Bible (listen), and Pray (talk). If you don't know what to read, just start from the beginning, start reading a chapter a day, or if you want to read more, read a few chapters a day. Maybe find online a Bible reading plan, etc. When reading, read slowly, and read for content, not to just read it.

If you can, get a copy of "Basic. Who is God?" by Francis Chan, it's a really good study. It is just like it says, basic. The DVD's are good, but not really needed.

I found that I tried to over-analyze everything, including and particularly the Bible. I over-analyze everything but when I was reading, and I wasn't really reading it, I was ripping it apart and studying it to the degree that I was entirely missing what it said. I found that I need to not try to analyze everything, and just read, let the word soak in.

One of the major things, that was holding me back, and a lot of others, is that I was trying to change myself. I was trying to deal with my struggles and temptations on my own. We need to understand that WE can't change. Not on our own. The only way to truly change is to submit to God and let the Holy Spirit work through you and change you.

Everything else I will let the Word speak for itself.
27 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.” Mk 10:27.
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 19 Do not quench the Spirit. 20 Do not despise prophecies, 21 but test everything; hold fast what is good. 22 Abstain from every form of evil. 1 Th 5:16–22.
16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. Ga 5:16.
22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. 23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. 24 For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. Jas 1:22–24.
9 Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. 10 Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. 11 Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. 12 Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. 13 Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.
14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. 17 Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. 18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. 19 Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” 20 To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Ro 12:9–21
16 But when one turns to the Lord, the veil is removed. 17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 2 Co 3:16–17
33 Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need. Mt 6:33. NLT

All Verses are from the ESV unless noted otherwise.

Last edited:
I am going to affirm those who've said to take your time reading. Getting a reading plan is good, but the Bible in a year plans will push you through it too fast. It's like getting a wonderful steak dinner and eating it all in five minutes. Sure you were fed, but you can get sooooo much more out of it by taking your time and savoring every word and verse.

The ACTS and PRAY methods are essentially the same and are bassed on "The Lord's Prayer" as a guide (Matthew 6:5-15).

First I want to point out that this is not some recipe that will get your prayers answered. This is only a way to organize your thoughts. Once you have done these for a while it will be second nature to do these things and you won't have to think about the "method."
A - Addoration: Praise God for who he is. This isn't thanks for what He has done specifically, but a general praise and meditation on the nature and qualities of God.
C - Confession: We will never be perfect on this side of eternity. Repent of your sins but don't get overly bogged down in them. Pray specifically, the Holy Spirit will point things out you need to particularly need to work on. At the same time praise God for His grace because you are forgiven! Nothing you have done can separate is worse than God's grace.
T - Thanksgiving: Give thanks for specific things. Helping your through the day, providing a job, food, shelter, and the people in your life. The list of things to be thankful for can be endless. This really helps when you are down, it helps to remind us how blessed we really are.
S - Supplication - God does want to hear your requests. That do you think you need? What do you want? As you get closer to God you will see these things change.

PRAY is much the same but I've forgotten what the acronym stands for, lol.

Anyway, this will help you focus on God before you make requests.

@Mr.Mask: How are you doing? I hope you are doing well. I was ill and away from these boards and not spending much time on the computer for quite awhile.

I certainly know what it is like to feel stagnate in my faith and frustrated. But do not be discouraged. Keep pressing on. Many times in my life I get stuck and then I'm fine and then I'm stuck, etc...Frustrating!

The ACTS and PRAY methods are essentially the same and are bassed on "The Lord's Prayer" as a guide (Matthew 6:5-15).

First I want to point out that this is not some recipe that will get your prayers answered. This is only a way to organize your thoughts. Once you have done these for a while it will be second nature to do these things and you won't have to think about the "method."
A - Addoration: Praise God for who he is. This isn't thanks for what He has done specifically, but a general praise and meditation on the nature and qualities of God.
C - Confession: We will never be perfect on this side of eternity. Repent of your sins but don't get overly bogged down in them. Pray specifically, the Holy Spirit will point things out you need to particularly need to work on. At the same time praise God for His grace because you are forgiven! Nothing you have done can separate is worse than God's grace.
T - Thanksgiving: Give thanks for specific things. Helping your through the day, providing a job, food, shelter, and the people in your life. The list of things to be thankful for can be endless. This really helps when you are down, it helps to remind us how blessed we really are.
S - Supplication - God does want to hear your requests. That do you think you need? What do you want? As you get closer to God you will see these things change.

I like this, thanks for posting. This will be helpful in prayer because the acronym makes it easy to remember and it is a Biblical approach to prayer. It is easy to get caught up or lost in the "S" of ACTS, especially when in pain or distress.

Read lots. Read the Bible, read books about the Bible, read sermons (or podcast them). The more you wash yourself in the words and things of God, the more growth you will see. Think of a tough questions or doubt that has been nagging you and seek to answer it earnestly. You will find yourself growing closer to God very quickly.

Back