What are you reading right NOW??

Neirai the Forgiven

Christian Guilds List Manager
Hey, I figured I'd use this new forum to ask: What are you reading right now. Okay, I know it's this post. Yes, I get it. Oh yeah, just a second.

FIRST!!! (in this section) Alright. Back to the post.

What books are sitting inverted with their spines in the air in your bathroom and/or on your side table while you read this post?

For me, it is The Dragon Reborn, book #3 of 5 million in the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.

Mission Compromised by Oliver North
The Next Reformation by Carl Raschke

Those are non-school-related. Anything school related will not be listed. :)

• Dracula by Bram Stoker
  • The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
My wife and I are reading through the New Testament together. We're currently in the book of Acts.

The Shepherd's Path by David F Gray. Read it before, but it's a good read.

Also, my Making of the West textbook. And that is NOT school required, just love history textbooks.

Kildar by John Ringo. This is an excellent series. I highly reccomend it.
Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert. Same goes for this one.

Obsession by Ted Dekker.
Just finshed Avenged by A.R. Chandler
Also, Read the book House by Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti...
PLus my devotional and Bible. :)

The Dune books are "okay" but there is a lot of immoral content, primarily sexual, that really does NOT edify the reader in any way...particularly when one discovers the "Honored Matres" *shudders*

I'm reading Paul by N.T. Wright. While I have some disagreements with Wright, this is an excellent book to read and will certainly correct the WASP perspective of the Apostle Paul.

I'm reading Paul by N.T. Wright. While I have some disagreements with Wright, this is an excellent book to read and will certainly correct the WASP perspective of the Apostle Paul.

Disagreements? I have not read the book myself. But are the disagreements based on the Bible or purly theological or not liking his style?

They are theological...yes. Frankly, Wright's perspective is a lot more Biblical than most other perspectives out there, so I have a great deal of respect for it. :)

I would argue that the Dune books are sheer, unadulterated genius (just finished rereading Dune myself) -- however, I did tune out between Children and god emp because of the "other stuff."

I did want to put a plug in for the book on your sig, David -- Boy Meets Girl is a great manual on dating for a Christian guy OR woman who wants to do so with integrety, honor, and true love, AND while keeping himself in the 21st century. IKDGB notwithstanding, it's about real dating/courting and not just the "pop-church" courtship fad.

Currently, I'm reading my own book. Not that I'm self-absorbed, but I'm trying to get it done so all the time I would like to dedicate to reading, I use to work on my book.

For me, it is The Dragon Reborn, book #3 of 5 million in the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.

I bought most of the Wheel of Time series on ebay a little while ago. I started reading a little, but I have mixed feelings about his writing style -- it's a little too slow for me.

And for a little Robert Jordan news, he's dying. :( He has some bad thing that supposedly will kill him in 2 years. He said he still has enough writing planned for 20 more years of writing. He said he doesn't plan on dying anytime soon.

Robert Jordan, yes...

Robert Jordan is an episodal writer, you know, like the guys who put out The Hardy Boys or Tom Swift. Everything in his books start off with the same bang and end with a very familiar type of ending. You really are simply reading the same book about thirty times. It's just another episode in a giant TV show except that it is written down, not on TV.

Now, before I sound like I'm bashing him, let me say that Robert Jordan is, in my mind, the reigning king of episodal writing. His "Wheel or Time" fate motif allows hims to do the episodal writing thing -- which is typically repettative and dry as three-year old rice crackers -- without it seeming to churn out the exact same thing over and over again. I mean, you would never lump The Wheel of Time in with The Hardy Boys, even though they use very similar techniques.

Unfortunately the beef I have with Robert Jordan is that his writing quality tends to occillate between sheer genius of art to mundane return to the "balance" and then back again. It's a consequence of his amazing writing ability coming into conflict with his episodal framework. Yes, it's an amazingly well-crafted framework, but eventually it becomes a framework and so it holds him back.

My 2 cents worth, not like it matters :)

I am re-reading (for like the 500th time) The "In the Hall of the Dragon King" Trilogy by Steven Lawhead. I am up to book 2: The Warlords of Nin.

I think these are his best works. Though I enjoy almost all the books by him.

Back