what is church?

Xaris

So here I am Thursday morning in a local internet cafe after meeting with other pastors in my town, and I was thinking about the upcoming sermon series I am presently working on - The Chruch. And I got thinking, why not ask my brothers and sisters of the CGA what their thoughts and understanding of what the church is: why does it exist, what is its purpose, how does it fulfill this purpose in the local body, what is its composition, what is its character, what is its function or how does it function etc ect. What are some of the marks of a church that make it a church, what are some things that must be in order for a group of individuals to be called a church, what are some things that are generally not done that the church should do...... and any other questions or things that you can think of.

So please feel free to discuss and throw some things out their regarding the church. Biblical reference would be good if you can cite it, but if you can't don't let that stop you from posting.

Thanks,
John.

excellent topic. I've got some ideas, but I want to take the time to do it right. Plus I want to give others a chance to chime in before I hijack your thread :)

I look forward to your responses as well.

Church is ekklesia in the Greek which means: a calling out, a popular meeting - especially religious congregation, or... a community of members on earth or saints in heaven or both.

The both is what really interests me. I have to ponder on that.

Jesus told Peter that on this rock I will build my church. I will really have to study that more. I wish I knew more of the life of Peter outside of Acts.

The earlier Christians were scattered and scared. Running from the religious rulers who would have them killed. Jesus said where 2 are more are gathered in my name I will be also.

I will have to look at this more. I know the church is not some building, some house or any other physical place. We are the temple of God. Praise God!! I am going to have to say Church is a gathering of believers.

I will address the other questions later.

Even the definition of the word 'church' as Shawn correctly stated is interesting.
I'd like to take it one level deeper in that ekklesia (1577) is a derivative of ek or ex (1537) meaning 'origin' and kaleo (2564) meaning 'call' or to 'bid'.

I take that to mean that when church begins (no matter where it is, either in the middle of a field amongst cowboys or in a big fancy building [Matt 18:20]), that God has originated or sent forth the call for like minds to gather, discuss, study and understand our Lord's word...
"Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." [II Ti 2:15]

I feel this answers John's questions as to why does it exist and what is its purpose. For the question of 'what is its composition?', I think we can all agree that our Lord must be at the head of the church or our Shepherd. Giving understanding and knowledge to His pastors, those that are charged with tending the flock and providing a goodly pasture. Lastly the church is comprised of the flock or congregation, who ultimate goal should be to learn about God and His ways. [John 10:1-15]

Probably to late for your series but I want to share my thoughts as well....

What the church is:

Composition -
What is it? what are some things that must be in order for a group of individuals to be called a church
Mat 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

There are no other requirements. The church is body of Christ, the members there of. It is in no way, related to any physical structure. An really, I would call the idea of relating it too a building as a lie of the enemy. Because that then locks people into a mentality, that you have to be somewhere in order to meet God.
Actually do consider, how many believe that they walk with God. Simply because they go to a specific location on Sunday or whenever. You do not go to church, you are the church; you are the Temple of the Living God.

What it looks like -
What is its character? What are some of the marks of a church that make it a church?
The Church is a living organism. Always growing, moving, never static.

If you want to see it -
Joh 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

And being exemplified by the fruit of the Spirit. I will add a note, that this is more then everyone just holding hands and getting along. The meaning here would be at a level to describe the Love and action of God, moving among the members.

Eph 4:15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
Eph 4:16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

Everyone has a part, there is no sitting in a chair/pew while watching someone else mediate between us and God. Also, this is NOT referring to some volunteer activity like mowing the lawn, doing projection or child care. Any true function, would have a place in a meeting of only 2 people. Weather it's on a beach, at house, or in a prison cell.

How does it function? -

Eph 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
Eph 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Eph 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

This may sound crazy....... Jesus is the head of the church/body, NOT the pulpit or ministry. Verse 13 says they are here "Until we all come in". Their function is to help the body function (v12), and then join the body in that. In other words, their role is to work themselves out of job.

Purpose -
Why does it exist, what is its purpose, how does it fulfill this purpose in the local body?

The simplest answer, is to edify the rest of the body and reflect/effect Him to the world.

---------------------------
Jesus told Peter that on this rock I will build my church. I will really have to study that more. I wish I knew more of the life of Peter outside of Acts.

Mat 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
Mat 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Jesus was not referring to Peter, when he said this. HE was referring to the act of hearing God (v17); receiving revelation from the Father. It is upon that rock (the ability to hear God's Truth), that the church is setup. For no man can come unto the Father, unless the Spirit calls Him.

Joh 6:65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

Salvation can not be had by mental accent (James 2:19, 1Cor 2:11). It requires hearing and properly responding to God's revelation. There is no other way to be a part of the body/church.

And it is upon this rock (the ability to hear God's Truth), that the gates of hell can not prevail.

Plus I want to give others a chance to chime in before I hijack your thread

You forgot to hijack it!

Last edited:
This may sound crazy....... Jesus is the head of the church/body, NOT the pulpit or ministry. Verse 13 says they are here "Until we all come in". Their function is to help the body function (v12), and then join the body in that. In other words, their role is to work themselves out of job.

John 15:

1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. 3 You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4 Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

5 I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

Doesn't sound crazy to me.

Why does it exist, what is its purpose, how does it fulfill this purpose in the local body?

Well each person's purpose is that which God the Father set forth from the beginning of time.

Eph 4:

11 So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, 12 to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.

So some are born to be leaders to equip his people for works of service. What are our works of service?

1 Corinthians 12:

7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. 11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.

12 Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ. 13 For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink. 14 Even so the body is not made up of one part but of many.

15 Now if the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? 18 But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. 19 If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts, but one body.

What I find interesting in the "church" today. Is that many of these gifts are thrown out as not relevant like speaking in tongues. However Paul warns that "God has placed the parts in the body, everyone one of them, just as HE wanted them to be."
21 The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!” 22 On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23 and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, 24 while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has put the body together, giving greater honor to the parts that lacked it, 25 so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. 26 If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28 And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues[d]? Do all interpret? 31 Now eagerly desire the greater gifts.

Last edited:
Back