What is the difference with OpenGL,

Corpfox

OpenGL, D3D and Software(mode) Overall specs for games.

Specs as Controls, Smoothness, Textures, Models (Gun/Weapon). How it looks.

Let say, 16mb vid card is low performance. 32mb vid card is med performance. 64 and up+ vid card is high - 'the best,the one' performance.

Which of the 3 are better for the low, med and high performance vid cards?

I'm using 64mb vid card which would be high performance, if it was TRUE!
mad.gif

Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat and Sven ive tried to compare, this is what i got and I'm using a Wireless keyboard/mouse which is 1 1/2 feet away from monitor; must be at least 3 feet away from any electronic devices,... monitors:

OpenGL: smooth graphics, crappy controls, movement bad/slow downs.

Software(mode):crappy graphics, average controls, crappy movement.

D3D: smooth graphics, average controls, good movement, bad text(their squished together, barely see what it says).

So, if I had a new video card, 256 mb vid card I should say, will all those 3(OpenGL, Software((mode)) and D3D) have the same effect as the old one?

I wouldn't get less than 128MB card these days. Both ATI and Nvidia cards can do OpenGl and D3D. Some argue they render better than others. Linux games use OpenGL because it's an open standard.

If you want a good card that gives you excellent bang for your buck, I'd suggest a Geforce Fx card.

No, it may not be a popular choice, but if you're not doing video editing and just playing games, it's a good card.

I have a GeForce Fx 5200, not the greatest card in the world, but Doom 3 plays very nice on it.

If you're not too worried about money, I'd look into an ATI card.

When I get a job, my first pay-check will be for the video card!!! Hopefully, I can get those Radeon X800 or Geforce 6800!

And I found out the disadvantages of using Software Mode, D3D and OpenGL:

All I have to say, I HATE D3D!
mad.gif

Crashed every game I played with D3D!
mad.gif

So, I'm staying AWAY from D3D!

recommends ATI Radeon 9600 XT for like the gazillionth time :x

good price range, nice performance/price ratio, and compatible with DirectX 9.0 too. it's awesome. Powerful enough to withstand Half-life 2.

ATI just released a new driver and it improves opengl and d3d drivers. u get more performance out of doom3 too, go check it out
biggrin.gif

Nvidia and ATI, which of the following games can use one or both of them, preferably:

Call of Duty
FarCry
Half-Life 2
Doom 3
Counter-Strike: Condition Zero
Battlefield 1942/Vietnam/2
Command & Conquer: Generals
Halo

Back