What is your opnion on this.....

Dr. Tek

Well I got some cash for Christmas, and since I only got one game, EA's NHL 2004 for my GCN, I was goining to spend a portion of the rest on soem computer games and hardware, harddrive to be specific. The games I've decided on are KoTOR, Dungeon Siege (the one that has the original and the expansion) and the Diablo Battlechest. I'm not really asking for advice on the ;ast one, but I just wanted to hear some of your opinions on Diablo, as trying to find christian opinions on this game is very hard to do. Mine is this: A) Its a game. B) As far as RPG's go, its on the mild side of the magic and what not, and C) From the research I have done on the games, it turns out that you fight against Diablo (Satan) to stop him from enslaving humanity in unholy slavery, sort of an allusion if you ask me. Anyways, just wondering what all of your opnions are on this, kind of to make sure I didn't go off the deep end, lol

When I get it, I'll see about doing a review for it, and then that would be one of the first review of those games written by a Christian, as I have looked everywhere and have found none.

well I used to have a hitlist on CCGR and Diablo was on it because of the stanaic symbols and elements in the game. Yes you fight Diablo but there are loads of pentagrams in the game, especially when you are in hell. I mean are these really necessary? In heaven do you expect to see Jesus fish everywhere? Anyways I'm convicted not to play it, and a cleaner version of that game style can be found in Dungeon Siege.

thx for the link, never heard of that lace b4. to see where I am coming from, read 1 corithians 8. pretty much, these symbols are just that and no more, unless you happen to place some value or meaning in them that causes you to be disturbed by them. to me they do not, as in they do nothing and are represntations of wht is false, so there fore they are false, just as in the passage i gave, the meat was sacrificed to idols which are false, so there fore nothing is wrpng with the meat. apply that to games and other things, and i arrive at the same conclusions. if you do have a problem with such things, then by all means avoid them. but if your conscience and faith is strong enough and the fact that is only a game and that is the sole reason you are palying it, then go ahead. hope this clears up my positions some, so as to not make it loolk like I have lost it or anything.

Well the Diablo and DSLOA are on the way. After doing a lot of research into diablo, it is amzingly similar to tlokein's silmarillion (or however you spell it), and in comparing to other rpg's, most notably never winter nights, aside from some symbols here and there, it is not soley based on the arcane nature of other rpg's similar to it. once ive played thru them, ill write a review for the site for the games, along with my review for XIII im working on, but havent had a lot of time to put into it, so it is coming slowly, but will be done soon.

Regarding KOTOR, I got it for Christmas. It has easily become my new favorite game. Unseating 5 years of 'Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2'. Obviously I highly recommend it.

I picked it up too, wasn't planning on reviewing it because I know some people claimed it and CCGR has an xbox review on it

I have given up all claims to review it. I remember someone else asked to review it, but I don't remember who it was.

in reference to my original post, ive played thru the first diablo, and compared to other rpg's ive played, nvn, baulders gate, etc of those types, and even dungeon siege, it is a lot cleaner, no symbols at all anywhere, and very little magic in comparison to other games, which is all avoidable as are they few referenes to anything satanic in the dialogues. the only thing that I could hold against this game for some people is the amount of gore, as some of the death animations are quite graphic. from what i expected going inot playing diablo, it is a lot better then my expectations, much cleaner then i thought before. as for diablo2, havent played that yet so dont know.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]it is amzingly similar to tlokein's silmarillion

Er, Diablo is amazingly similar to Nethack... In what way is it similar to The Silmarillion?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ](or however you spell it)

Simlarillion is correct. The other word you're looking for is T.O.L.K.I.E.N.
tounge.gif

There are absolutely no satanic references in the dialoges of "nvn, baulders gate, etc of those types" as far as I know. If you feel otherwise, please give an example. As for symbols; what about the encircled upside-down star? Or was that only in Diablo 2?

Dr. Tek, can I ask why you (apparently) don't like games having lots of magic or playing a magic wielding character?

the only pentagrams are in diablo 2, and then not every time you play thru because the worlds are randomly created everytime. As for playing characters that rely on magic, would I use them, if I was bored, but I perfer regular combat instead, and as for the other games I said, they emphasize and rely on "magic" more heavily then some, as in some games the use of it can be avioded completely if you so choose, which is really up to each person playing and what they like. And i never said anything about those other games having satanic references in the dialogues, just an overall comparison of what some people may find disturbing in those games. I mainly dont play those ones, with the exception of dungeon siege, because I find them rather boring, and the design quality is not that great either compared to games like those made by blizzard or id software.

As for the part about the silmarillion, I compare it to the overall general flow of the story, an on-going struglle between good and evil in a world of humans and what not, where the evil, diablo in diablo, morgoth and sauron in the similmarillion, take up physical forms on earth in an attempt to destroy that which was created by the "good" side. I tend to compare games to different books/movies looking to see where they might have got inspiration for the game from.

hope that clears up what you asked about.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I mainly dont play those ones, with the exception of dungeon siege, because I find them rather boring, and the design quality is not that great either compared to games like those made by blizzard or id software.

Shrug. Diablo and DS to my mind are more action/adventure games; very different to Bioware or Black Isle games. Apparently our tastes differ, though I'm interested in why you think they lack quality design.

The RPG's by bioware follow the D&D ruleset, but RPG's are not limited to only that, as I find most traditional rpg's rather boring, KoTOR being an exception. I like the character development aspects of those type of games, but I perfer games that have it, but have other focuses, namely combat, in addition to that, as playing traditional rpg's tends to get wrapped up in leveling up and whatnot, which I do not always have a lot of time to do, hence why when morrowind gets here, its going to last me at least a year.

Sorry, I didn't see your post here when I posted in the other thread. Carrying out a dual conversation is difficult, so I will post any followups to the topic in the other thread now.
smile.gif

I can understand your point about leveling up and D&D's convoluted rules. I thought Morrowind did a good job in that regard, though I felt combat was more than a little lacking.

Diablo 2 has far more depth than Dungeon Siege could possibly hope to have. Again pentagrams, and such are found all over the place, but I don't really find that that disturbing.

And I would assume that there would be pentagrams in hell, mainly because one of the seven deadly sins is pride, Satan, whom represents evil would obviously be proud, therefore his domain would be a testament to himself, and full of symbols that represented his power. That is if you believe that the pentagram is truly an evil thing.

Depending on what type of character you want to play you might prefer to play Dungeon Siege over diablo. Dungeon Siege is heavily biased towards the melee based characters, with magic based characters, unless you specialize purely in magic, you quickly become useless. And if you do specialize in just magic, you will have extremely low health, and a very weak attack.

Diablo on the other hand has most of it's classes fairly well balanced, which you would expect since Blizzard has had much more experience making games than microsoft.

Lol, a month later. . ..

Diablo is by far the better game, dungeon siege, while good, lacks in the amount of depth.

On another note, considering hell is a lake of fire, there would be no pentegrams, whcih are sybols man has made, and its not exactly the type of place you would put things in, since its not Satan ruling over hell in the end, but rather him being tormented forever there....

Back