What the heck ?

Maddmedic

The following are quotes and bits of information from American Family Association Which I follow closely.

"Candidates With Deeply Held Christian Beliefs Are Unfit and Disqualified From Serving As A Federal Judge." - New York Senator Charles Schumer

On May 1, 2004, in a Senate Judiciary Committee session, Senator Charles Schumer of New York said that J. Leon Holmes was disqualified as a candidate for a federal judge appointment because of his "deeply held conservative religious views." Holmes is a Catholic.

On June 11, speaking of Alabama Attorney General Bill Pryor, a nominee for the appellate court, Schumer said Pryor’s beliefs "are so well known, so deeply held that it's hard to believe that they're not going to influence" his decisions. Attorney General Pryor is a Catholic. Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California also opposed Pryor because of his "deeply held religious beliefs."

Yes Its sad, I am a bible believiing christian, and That my influnce my decision, but If I am a non believeing atheist, that somehow makes me better quialified to run for a political office

Disappointing.

But the silver linning is that they are being disqualified from judging men based on mans law. That doesn't disqualify them from judging men based on Gods law during our Lords reign!

Maddmedic said:
"Candidates With Deeply Held Christian Beliefs Are Unfit and Disqualified From Serving As A Federal Judge." - New York Senator Charles Schumer

On May 1, 2004, in a Senate Judiciary Committee session, Senator Charles Schumer of New York said that J. Leon Holmes was disqualified as a candidate for a federal judge appointment because of his "deeply held conservative religious views." Holmes is a Catholic.

On June 11, speaking of Alabama Attorney General Bill Pryor, a nominee for the appellate court, Schumer said Pryor’s beliefs "are so well known, so deeply held that it's hard to believe that they're not going to influence" his decisions. Attorney General Pryor is a Catholic. Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California also opposed Pryor because of his "deeply held religious beliefs."

Welcome to the new America! Land of the free. This is an example of a very very small part of the anti-Christian bias in our government. Most democrats and many republicans in government are anti-Christian to some degree (speaking of true conservative Christians that is, not just lip service christians...it's OK to be one of those :mad: ). With the main stream media (and our fine public school system) going whole hog for them, main stream america is beginning to think that way as well. Our rights of religious freedom are slowing going the way of the buffalo. Or maybe not so slowly!

That's...interesting..but I don't agree with it. While it's entirely possible that predisposed beliefs will influence one's judgments, the same goes for anyone, not just Christians. Christians are just as likely to have a strict interperetation of the law as someone of any other faith or nonfaith. What Schumner is doing is just discriminatory.

Last edited:
Mr.Bill said:
That's...interesting..but I don't agree with it. While it's entirely possible that predisposed beliefs will influence one's judgments, the same goes for anyone, not just Christians. Christians are just as likely to have a strict interperetation of the law as someone of any other faith or nonfaith. What Schumner is doing is just discriminatory.

Is there a reason behind behind societies ever increasing ambiguitity against Christianity that is not seen anywhere else?

Is there a reason behind behind societies ever increasing ambiguitity against Christianity that is not seen anywhere else?
I'd guess it all boils down to the fact that our society values religious freedom, and people see evangelism as an attempt to force our beliefs and morals on them, when it's actually an attempt to get them to choose our beliefs and morals.

It's modus operandi in the US right now-- if there's a political view/religious view/social movement you don't like, attack it rather than explain how your view works, litigate it until you find a sympathetic judge, and prevent people who bother you from getting into power no matter how illegal or hateful the process. It's something that is done by both Repubs and Demos equally, and IMO more by non-Christians than by Christians, though we certainly aren't blameless (see Terri Schaivo case and the circus that was the people sending their kids to the door with cups of water).

Last time I checked, neither of our consititutions read, freedom FROM religion, rather freedom OF religion. Practice what you believe without fear of prosecution. When did it become acceptable to prosecute only Christians? Christians are not the only people that evangalize. Islam is one of the fastest growing religions in the world, including North America. Yet their stance on many social issues that face us today are even more stringent then Christian views. Yet they are not prosecuted. As a matter of fact, the christian attitude towards many of todays issues is alot more lenient then many other religions.

I think its a little deeper then being seen as having contrary views of how society should should work or the evangalism.

GP, you're right. There is much more to it, but it would require about a 30 page essay to fully explain, and I lack the eloquence to express my views on this topic adequately. I'll attempt to hit the high points.

1. Reverse discrimination. Throughout history, the tendency has been to oppress and ridicule the minorities of religion, race, etc. Due to political correctness, it is now improper socially to ridicule minorities (and rightfully so). However, in our fallen world, many people feel the need to ridicule something different from them. Hence, the ridicule of Christians (especially fundamentalists and Catholics, the two most vocal denominations). James Dobson talks more about this phenomenon in Bringing Up Boys, where he uses the same argument to explain why boys are discriminated against in school.

2. People in love with the world. To hedonists (no negative connotation meant by the word), Christians are downers who infringe on their lifestyle simply by our presence in the world as a reminder that there are things beyond the present time and place.

3. Because of the preponderance of the theory of evolution, Christians are seen as ignorant by those who simply choose to believe what they are indoctrinated with in Biology class. They refuse to believe that we could have possibly arrived at our faith after considering the evidence from both sides, because only one side of the argument is state sponsored. Back to the original point of the topic-- that's partly why that court ruled like it did, because of their own ignorance of the counter-evidence against evolution.

I could go on, but I need to get back to work. :D

When I say deeper, I don't necessarily mean more complicated.

Your points, every last one of the, even if you written a 30 page essay are all valid. But again, they all point to one thing.

That one things is, that the god of this world is fighting very hard to keep people blind to the truth. Satan will use what ever means is available to persecute those who follow in the footsteps of Jesus. There is no need in attacking Islam or Hinduism, when they already don't follow Jesus.

Back