When do we know Blizzard has gone to far???

Angus_Og

When they plan to make a movie. Here is a quote from Sci-Fi Channel

WoW Heads To Movies

The hit online game World of Warcraft is heading to the big screen, as Warner Brothers-based Legendary Pictures has picked up film rights and will develop the project with game publisher Blizzard Entertainment, which is owned by Vivendi, Variety reported.

World of Warcraft, a massively multiplayer online role-playing fantasy game, has more than 6 million subscribers who not only team up to go on quests, but also interact and form deep social relationships, the trade paper reported.

From Worldofwar.net's site:

World of Warcraft: The Movie -- Posted by Elly

Movie site Filmforce has revealed they are privy to information regarding a possible World of Warcraft movie. Apparently it could be announced as early as this Tuesday, presumably at E3..

"Legendary Pictures, the production company behind Superman Returns and Batman Begins , may turn the massively-multiplayer online gaming hit into a feature film."

This is pretty unexpected. I can't say it jumps to mind as movie material but stranger things have happened. Doom was made into a movie and that's on everyone's top ten list I'm sure. Overkill brought you this news via a thread he started in the community forum.

Mimbari has already been approached to play the leading role, so I might be a little busy in the near future.

Autographs will be given in a first come, first serve basis.

:)

oh groan. :(

Just about every video game movie has ranged from ok to abysmal, imo.

Tomb Raider - ok
Doom - from what I hear.... well not so good
D&D - oh my! one of the worst big budget films I have ever seen.

There are others I am sure (like mario brothers), but I can't recall a really success story going from games to movies. Perhaps I'm wrong here?

faust said:
oh groan. :(

Just about every video game movie has ranged from ok to abysmal, imo.

Tomb Raider - ok
Doom - from what I hear.... well not so good
D&D - oh my! one of the worst big budget films I have ever seen.

There are others I am sure (like mario brothers), but I can't recall a really success story going from games to movies. Perhaps I'm wrong here?

Resident Evil however was awsome, both of them.

Woohoo Mimbari!! Our guild is gonna be so famous now! I will be in line to get your autograph next time we are both on, knowing of course, that you will have limited play time now with you new uber responsibilities:) I wonder if they would want pink piggytails in their movie......:) I wonder how many gnomes they will want? With a gnome in the lead role, we are obviously going to play a big part! Woohoo! This might even become a gnome movie! "The Gnomes of World of Warcraft in all Their Glory" I can see it in lights now! Gogo gnomes:)

Tinie/Angie

Wow, i was just thinking this the other. I thought this would be a bad time for a WoW movie though, given how many tolkein -genre movies there have been lately, LOTR, and even Narnia.
I agree that the World (oW) isn't conducive to a single film, given how varied and disparate the material is. I think you'd want to focus on the Warcraft 3 story line, rather than the WC2 or WoW storylines.

BTW, I'm planning to submit a comic to the WoW comic contest, and it just so happens the theme is "World of Wacraft: The Movie"
:DL

Last edited:
Final Fantasy VII - Advent Children was a great movie, however it was limited in attraction to people who had played through at least the first 2 discs of Final Fantasy VII.

As for a Warcraft movie, something from the beginings of Azeroth (eg. the first war against the burning legion) might be a better movie than anything more recently in the timeline, IMHO.

My only concern for a venture like this is that the movie will affect the game rather than the other way around. In the sale of the rights, is Blizz setting the game up to be influenced by those producing the movie.

On the other hand, the movie will either be:

1) Awesome. You saw the opening movies for WoW.

2) Crappy beyond all belief. It's a game movie.

3) An amazing comedy geared to WoW players, in the spirit of "Illegal Danish" or "Switcher". (Main characters, Mimbari and Leeroy Jenkins)

I'm hoping for 1, expecting 2, but secretly rooting for 3.

I have officially been asked to help find my stunt double for the movie, however, I am not sure I have seen another gnome as good looking as me with such an uber bald head.

Create your bald, uber gnome rogue now for consideration! :)

Lol Mimbari:)

However.....stunt double!? You are a gnome man! Gnomes don't need stunt doubles!! We can do all those stunts with our hands and feet tied behind us and blindfolded! Stunt double for a gnome...haha....surely you jest?

Ohhhh....I see now. You are just trying to give more bald gnomes their chance to be in the movie! Sneaky....I like it!

Tinie/Angie

:eek:

Oh yeah Doom was just "amazing" and that should be the whole reason they make every game into a movie.

um.. okay

I feel sad now

Back