When do you all play

James

List the times you play so we can all get together and clan a server.
biggrin.gif

As a side note maybe we can each chip in a few bucks and rent an exclusive server for a month at least.

M-F 1:15am to 3am EST and some in the morning between 9am and 12:30 pm. Sat - Sunday it varies . usually 9pm to 3 am. also not full time in these time slots. They all vary.
I was playing yesterday with you James but work time came along. it's the first time your name has appeared in the buddy list. it was a very laggy server to me.

usually somewhere between 10pm-2am EDT.  Like CS not full time during this period.

Tonight lookin at now to 3am.
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ColdSteel @ April 22 2004,12:08)]M-F 1:15am to 3am EST and some in the morning between 9am and 12:30 pm. Sat - Sunday it varies . usually 9pm to 3 am. also not full time in these time slots. They all vary.
I was playing yesterday with you James but work time came along. it's the first time your name has appeared in the buddy list. it was a very laggy server to me.
Yep I remember that game. I wanted you to join my team and we were one man short but you still stayed on Red.  
sad.gif

Those emotional scars will take a long time to heal...
tounge.gif

I usually play (at times) between 9:00am and 12:00pm or between 1:00pm and 3:00pm.

My schedule is pretty erratic and I can't get a game in every day so if you want to play with me either e-mail me or AIM me and setup a time is best, or you will just check the buddy list and hope I'm there.

That's why I like to setup times where we can all meet.

Sorry about that James. Sometimes I don't read the messages (busy fragging). I think my font is to small. I'll make it larger for viewing.
wow.gif
Microphone talking is good but sometimes it doesn't work so well with my dial up connection.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (James @ April 23 2004,3:09)]I turn voice off completely because I don't need kids swearing at me while I'm trying to have fun.
I know what you mean there. It's pitiful at times. Check the Roger Wilco Post.

I haven't had too many problems with the "(microphone + audience) * anonymity = big loud jerk" equation, at least so far. In fact, a lot of the Onslaught games have had well organized players with somebody with a microphone giving the orders. Might just be the exception to the rule though.

re: times....I'm sort've erratic too, but I usually play in the evenings, 11pm EST and onwards, or right after work for a little bit if I'm not busy, 6pm-7pm.

Ok, so CS plays in the middle of the night or the morning, James in the morning or afternoon, and stumpt and I play in the late evenings. We're all over the place.
smile.gif

Maybe we should try scheduling an actual day for us all the meet up? Like a couple of weeks from now so we can all book it off...a Sat morning perhaps as during the week seem problematic for most. I don't mind getting up early on a Sat if it's to play video games.
smile.gif

stumpt, saw you last night, not sure if you saw me. Laggy server I'm afraid, had some problems (>120 ping). Where are you located? I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada (specifically Oakville, but most people don't know where that is so I just say Toronto to make it easy
smile.gif
)

I play Mon, Tue, Thurs, Fri, 5:00 PM to 10:00 PM, EST.

Saturdays, I play whenever I feel like it, which is usually a lot.

Sundays, I'll be on any time from 1:00 PM to 10:00 PM, EST, except on the 2nd Sunday of each month, in which case, it's more like 1:00 PM to 6:00 PM.

w00t, time for the manditory chapter "When do you play?" thread...and it's about time! UT2004 has been a blast since the day Epic released the demo and Onslaught continues to rock the house.

The Job Search™ and planning the Christian Gamers Alliance Convention is taking up most of my day time hours nowadays, but I'm usually around after 8PM Central. I'm usually away from the computer during the weekends, but if I do hop on for a game, it's still usually after 8PM Central.

EDIT: I believe 8PM Central equates to 9PM Eastern...though I'm still a klutz when it comes to time zones, even five years after founding ToJ. *blush*

Yeah, I saw ya.  I'm in central timezone too.  (Tek7, your right eastern is + 1hr)
Alabama to be exact...keep that in mind if you hear me on the voice chat with a little draw.
wink.gif

Heheh, probably why I couldn't understand you when you did talk.
wink.gif
Actually, your voice broke up a lot, it may have been my ping. I'm not sure how voice chat works, whether your info is sent to the server then "broadcast" to all "listeners" or what...

Anyways, it looks like our list of active players is growing...

amusedtoe
Coldsteel
Elite
James
Kraniac
Shagz
stumpt
Tek
Thad (né Thaddius)

...and I see Plankeye's name on the USSR Clan Server Stats page...must be playing incognito.
wink.gif

We've also had a bunch of new sign ups to the Chapter, but I haven't seen them post in these forums yet, Kraniac being the exception. In fact, I think I count about 5 new names on that list that I don't recognize. I'll have to drop them a line, to get them to post in here and introduce themselves.

Kraniac, ColdSteel and I had a good Deathmatch game last-night, just us on an empty server. Then we all got tired.. Heh heh

Miniguns, rockets and the Shaft sure tire you out...
tounge.gif

Yeah, that was great.

Oh, and one thing I forgot to say: One of you, James or ColdSteel, said that you turned dodging off because you found yourself dodging unintentionally. Well, in the options menu, under the Input tab, there's a parameter you can adjust to set the max double-tap time, in seconds, to two decimal places. The default is .25 s, I believe, but I've set mine to .15 s, because I had the same problem.

Dodging, especially dodge-jumping, helped my game tremendously, because it opened up all sorts of new lines for the deathmatch levels.

That was me  
biggrin.gif

I used to be a heavy Quake player, and back in the olden days we didn't have dodge jumping so when I found out about it I turned it off so I could better transfer my Quake skills to UT.

I may give it another shot... Your suggestion might help. It would be like I'm jumping on the wing of a manta, and I try to inch my way to the right spot and next thing I know I dodge jumped off the wing entirely.
mad.gif

Dodging can take some getting use to, but it's absolutely essential to master, especially if you find yourself w/o a vehicle on an Onslaught map.

There's no strafe/circle jumping here, but there is a similar movement in order to get across maps faster.  You can't dodge multiple times in a row, you need a little bit of a "breather" between dodges, so what I do is basically start running forwards, then start looking a little to the left or right (so that I'm turning one of sides towards the direction in which I want to keep moving).  Dodge towards the direction you want to be moving (remember to use the double jump to extend the distance of the dodge) and then move your view back to the forwards direction, always holding down the forwards key.  A second or two later, turn sideways again, dodge-jump and then look forwards again.

Once you got that down, you can speed it up, so that in the end, the movements you're doing with your mouse and the keys are kind of similar to circle strafe jumping and on screen it looks like you're "snapping" the mouse to the right and left as you do your dodge jump.  In reality, you're not snapping anything, and the movement has nothing to do with how fast you can go like it does in the Quake series.  All you're doing is running forwards, turning sideways, dodge-jumping and turning forwards again in mid-air so you don't lose a beat in walking forwards.

In UT2003, you could also "dodge-boost jump".  I never quite was able to figure out how to do this really well, but basically you'd power up the shield gun, aim it at the ground in front of you on an angle, then dodge backwards just before releasing the shield gun, throwing you a good few more meters then a regular dodge.  Of course, you could extend that by jumping again at the height of your dodge.

Apparently you can't do this in UT2004, unless the UT2003 mutator is turned on.  I've also noticed that shield gun jumping, period (UT's version of Quake's rocket jump) is no longer as effective as it was before.  Anyone else notice this?

BTW, James, there's another movement tip you should know about: lift jumping. If you're on an elevator, just before it stops or slows down, you can jump and that will send you flying up into the air, the momentum of the lift added to your own jump.  DM-Antulas is a good place to practice this.

(Sorry if you know this all already, I assumed you didn't based on your dislike of dodging)

I got this game just a lil bit ago, an am in the process of installing it now.

who wants to play??!?!?

Back