Why are so many people against D&D?

tobias_wretch

A lot of people (you know who you are) are really against the game Dungeons and Dragons. I can see some of your concerns, but most of them is because you have never played or even observed the game. I'm not saying go buy a ton of rulebooks and dice, but at least observe a game at a local hobby shop.
("you" is a generic word not directed toward anyone)

noticing this is ur first post what makes u say that? i have no probs with D&D as long as the person can tell reality and fantasy apart from each other

depends on the individual, and their convictions. I prefer warrior characters personally. I've never been big on magic.

I agree. The only problem I have is with some of the materal in the books(girly pictures ect) and not the system itself. Actually I have a level 13ish socerer with 20 something constution.
biggrin.gif

is there like a demo for computers out?

there are D & D based games like never winter nights, unfortunately I don't like that game because of the pentagrams found in it

pentagram?? its like whitches star and satanic symbols

a pentagram, is an inverted 5-point star (central point down) wrapped in a circle.
Often it will be super-imposed with a goat's head.

It's another satanic warping of a Christian symbol, in the same way that an upside down cross is.

And each poit repersents something.
Earth, Air, Fire, Water, and Spirit.

not always considered satanic, just the inverted pentagram is satanic.
Here's a interesting webpage about the pentagram.

pentagram

I like the symbol glossary on here, its very interesting.

But I've seen the game played and its looks pretty interesting, but I know some people take it to seriously.

This and many other articles on this site state the reasons why most Christians don't like Dungeons and Dragons and many of the other RPGs, harry potter, etc... The man that runs this ministry is not only knowledgable about the Bible and what it has to say, but he also knows about occult images, etc... These articles might help answer some of your questions.

The Dangers of RolePlaying Games

I must say i saw 2 things here I have to comment on

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] there are D & D based games like never winter nights, unfortunately I don't like that game because of the pentagrams found in it

to this I must say ya know where else pentagrams are found, REAL LIFE! this kind of mindless fear drives me crazy, we are the children of God NO weapon formed against us will prosper and yet we hide our eyes as if looking at some shape will subvert us from the Lord ...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]This and many other articles on this site state the reasons why most Christians don't like Dungeons and Dragons and many of the other RPGs, harry potter, etc... *snip*

I worked for WOTC (Wizards of the Coast) at a retail store for 2 years durring the pokemon thing (from the beginning actually)
I also ran the league (organized play met weekly then bi weekly) got to know the kids and there parents Ill tell you the ONLY thing that was bad about Pokemon. Kids getting there stuff stolen AND kids gettting obsessed with the cards thats it
I knew a 5 year old who could read and do basic math (+/-) and quite a few more in the 7 year old range and most of the kids (200+ in number) were well adjusted and "played well with others"

and as far as magic (or "that cute little card game" as i call it) being an occult game ... refer to the above and ... Grow up and have some faith man. (not to any one "man" just general)

Kelmor

I read that article and some of his articles on Pokemon.

The author says he watched 3 weeks of Pokemon and took offense to the following which were included in the shows, what he calls UNHOLY PRACTICES:

Occult: "beyond the range of normal perception; secret, mysterious, esoteric; dealing with magic, alchemy, astrology, etc.…. the supernatural."

Doesn't this fit Christ as well? Seems to me like turning water into wine and feeding thousands of people with a few fish fits under this category.

Divination: "a divining or foretelling of the future or the unknown by supernatural means"

Seems to me that several people in the bible had the ability to forsee the future. The entirety of the last book of the bible is all about this. I know what you're going to say...but it says SUPERNATURAL means. That's anything other than natural. If you're hearing voices telling you things or receiving images in dreams, that's SUPERnatural.

Sorcery: "the use of magic powers derived from evil spirits" [Any supernatural "spirit" mentioned in the Bible, not including the Holy Spirit or God’s Spirit which is always capitalized, would be part of the demonic realm and therefore considered evil. It would include ghosts, psychic forces, etc.]

What is the difference in good or evil spirits? Christ and his apostles used "sorcery", only they attributed their "magic powers" to be from god.

Witchcraft: "Sorcery as practiced by a witch or witches." On page 62 in her book, The Spiral Dance, a practical manual on witchcraft, Wiccan leader Starhawk explains,

"Magical training varies greatly, but its purpose is always the same: to open up the... consciousness that allows us to make contact with the Divine within. The beginner must develop four basic abilities: relaxation, concentration, visualization and projection."

See the above regarding Sorcery, same thing applies here

Spell: "an incantation, words which properly changed or uttered are supposed to have magical effect." "To cast a spell is to project energy through a symbol," wrote Starhawk in The Spiral Dance, page 124.

Hmmm, sounds like prayer to me.

Necromancy: "the art of foretelling the future or magically achieving some purpose by communication with the spirits of the dead."

Christ wasn't the only one to rise from the dead and communicate with people. See Lazarus, et al.

When it comes down to it, it seems to be a matter of perception. The author is simply saying he's right because he's justified under the banner of "true" Christianity. That was the problem with the Crusades in his opinion. They weren't "true" Christians. That's easy to say with history on your side. What will history show about modern day Christianity? Only time will tell.

hahahahhaa you losers are so lame... there is nothing wrong with D&D or anyother rpg for that instance. Yeah people become obsessive w/ these games but usually its just a phase and people move on. The problem you biggots have with a unique game like this is really rooted in your faith. Strung along blindly by a core of few decision makers distributing morality like candy to children. before I dwelve into that, back to D&D... it really all started in the late 70s and early 80s when a few LARPers might or might not have (haven't got any sources on this its all word of mouth) jumped into a sewer and got lost and some died blah blah blah... yeah they took it too far lesson learned... But instead of stopping there, the religious biggots of the time saw that this game was making pple think *too much*.... sweet jumping jesus and crazy mother of mary in a handbasket, they had to act on this and made it an issue out of it, thus the pagan, heathen, sendyoutohellifyoureadonewordonapage, myth was born. Formed screaming from the mouth of jesus himself (or was it his "vassals" i can never remember if you guys consider yourself elitist enough to be the next jesus whatever). This was further propagated by the internet and the fact that being the diverse and wide reaching game that it is, DnD incorporated *Gasp* (hold your breath while you read this) many objects and creatures and beliefs from other mythologies including christian mythology and other modern mythologies... TSR took a huge frapping hit in sales because of this (mind you that this was being set up to be the next candyland in the 80s, seriously it was that popular).
 But to the present date, the catholic/christian/jewish fascist belief is further propetuated by  jack chick (jesus himself) http://www.chick.com/  (dnd related just check it out it was a good laugh for me http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp) ... just check out some of the hate filled comics on the website god its awful to think one could waste such an artistic talent on trash like that (I wonder if he diverted his eyes during life drawing class...)
 as for having faith and dnd and magic ect... being occult games, they are as harmless as liking cars, but cars are more expensive and don't give you the cultural diversity that games do...

there is nothing wrong with games that broaden your horizons and expand you culturally, but there is something wrong with mind numbing religions that brainwash you into checking your actions on a message board or bible or book in order to validate some form of decision in your life. Follow your own mind and concious and don't be a sheep being flocking by a blind man w. a big hat in a wheelchair saying that progressive women are hurting society and refuses to turn with the tides or for that matter if jack chick tells you that your gaming group willmake you sacrifice virgins and goats to the dark gods in order for you to cast magic missle its all bs (especially chick) and anyone living their life by this is just wasting it by introverting themselves and not exploring the gift that is socialization and the vast cultures on this rock called earth...

p.s. I know this post is going to be deleted faster than I can say Jesus Jackflash Jumpingjacks, but I want you to know I've been there before and religion binds your mind into not exploring possibilities like gaming
for instance based on one persons biased. And I have been a proud gamer for 10 + years and attend Origins here in Columbus, OH regularly
Thanks
flame me here mercury_ghoest@yahoo.com

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Thug_Murder @ Aug. 15 2004,1:21)]hahahahhaa you losers are so lame... there is nothing wrong with D&D or anyother rpg for that instance. Yeah people become obsessive w/ these games but usually its just a phase and people move on. The problem you biggots have with a unique game like this is really rooted in your faith. Strung along blindly by a core of few decision makers distributing morality like candy to children. before I dwelve into that, back to D&D... it really all started in the late 70s and early 80s when a few LARPers might or might not have (haven't got any sources on this its all word of mouth) jumped into a sewer and got lost and some died blah blah blah... yeah they took it too far lesson learned... But instead of stopping there, the religious biggots of the time saw that this game was making pple think *too much*.... sweet jumping jesus and crazy mother of mary in a handbasket, they had to act on this and made it an issue out of it, thus the pagan, heathen, sendyoutohellifyoureadonewordonapage, myth was born. Formed screaming from the mouth of jesus himself (or was it his "vassals" i can never remember if you guys consider yourself elitist enough to be the next jesus whatever). This was further propagated by the internet and the fact that being the diverse and wide reaching game that it is, DnD incorporated *Gasp* (hold your breath while you read this) many objects and creatures and beliefs from other mythologies including christian mythology and other modern mythologies... TSR took a huge frapping hit in sales because of this (mind you that this was being set up to be the next candyland in the 80s, seriously it was that popular).
 But to the present date, the catholic/christian/jewish fascist belief is further propetuated by  jack chick (jesus himself) http://www.chick.com/  (dnd related just check it out it was a good laugh for me http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp) ... just check out some of the hate filled comics on the website god its awful to think one could waste such an artistic talent on trash like that (I wonder if he diverted his eyes during life drawing class...)
 as for having faith and dnd and magic ect... being occult games, they are as harmless as liking cars, but cars are more expensive and don't give you the cultural diversity that games do... to Dark Virtue STFU and read something other than elitist christian sh|t please for your own an@l sake

there is nothing wrong with games that broaden your horizons and expand you culturally, but there is something wrong with mind numbing religions that brainwash you into checking your actions on a message board or bible or book in order to validate some form of decision in your life. Follow your own mind and concious and don't be a sheep being flocking by a blind man w. a big hat in a wheelchair saying that progressive women are hurting society and refuses to turn with the tides or for that matter if jack chick tells you that your gaming group willmake you sacrifice virgins and goats to the dark gods in order for you to cast magic missle its all bs (especially chick) and anyone living their life by this is just wasting it by introverting themselves and not exploring the gift that is socialization and the vast cultures on this rock called earth...

p.s. I know this post is going to be deleted faster than I can say Jesus Jackflash Jumpingjacks, but I want you to know I've been there before and religion binds your mind into not exploring possibilities like gaming
for instance based on one persons biased. And I have been a proud gamer for 10 + years and attend Origins here in Columbus, OH regularly
Thanks
flame me here mercury_ghoest@yahoo.com
Actually it sounds more like a biased opinion from YOU.

I've nothing wrong with D&D as long as people have the sense to seperate fantasy and reality. And as long as it doesn't become more important than my God.

You know, you'd come off a lot more convincing if you'd write things without swearing and mocking.

There's nothing wrong with D&D its a card game. Empahasis on game. U have fun and thats it. I think peeople should stop looking it to everything and just relax and have fun.
Same with pokemon, I admit that I watched a few episodes, and secretly played the gameboy game, it was the kid in me. But I never thought about magic. I just wanted to to get my sqirttle evolved and win the game.

I think lots of these guys who come out protesting about this game being bad and this music is satanic, just want to be famous and find some new thing to protest against. He probobly liked watching pokemon.
tounge.gif

I think I'm going to go write an article about the wiggles being satanic. Have u een them they freak me out. Its got to be satan. It has to be.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RossMills @ Aug. 15 2004,2:31)]Actually it sounds more like a biased opinion from YOU.

I've nothing wrong with D&D as long as people have the sense to seperate fantasy and reality.  And as long as it doesn't become more important than my God.

You know, you'd come off a lot more convincing if you'd write things without swearing and mocking.
i have no biased opinion (I have no hate for religion) I can see the good of religion, but I also see the bad of religion. As far as I'm concerned religion tips more at the bad end of the scale, but hey if thats the way you want to live your life, I'll see you on the other side of the free speach protest. as the artist and poet patti smith so elequently spat it, "I'm not selling myself to god". And as for the mocking and swearing, sorry if my utilization of the english language upsets your trite tastes and if from this side of the fence, your grass isn't as green as you see it through those rose tinted glasses and I see something that deserves to be mocked and beaten into submission (by this I'm talking about the american moster religious machine). Especially when it takes advantage of youth who are willing to broaden themselves but are limited by church moderated peer groups striking their ideas down saying that its not gods will or it WILL become more important than god ect. ect. ect.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Thug_Murder @ Aug. 15 2004,1:21)]to Dark Virtue STFU and read something other than elitist christian sh|t please for your own an@l sake
Eh? I was reading that web page because someone else posted it in this thread. If you bothered to actually READ my post you'd see the bits in ITALICS, you know, the slanted words. That was my rebuttal. How else are you supposed to understand the other side if you don't read what they're writing?

Geez louise, knock the chip off your shoulder. I actually agreed with the majority of your post, but NOT the way you posted it. The only one with an anal point of view here is you.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Thug_Murder @ Aug. 15 2004,9:17)]And as for the mocking and swearing, sorry if my utilization of the english language upsets your trite tastes
It's your UNDERutilization of the English language. Why don't you try making your point without making fun of other people and your STFU's?

Or is that too difficult for you? I'm sure you could tear all dissenting opinions to shreds, but hey, why not just drop a STFU in there right?

I bow to your superior debating skills. (Note this was sarcasm..oh sorry, let me define sarcasm for you... a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual. Sorry, but I can't use any smaller words for you.)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]sorry if my utilization of the english language upsets your trite tastes

It's not my trite tastes... I do believe in the signup for this forum it asks you to be careful with your language or something.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]your grass isn't as green as you see it through those rose tinted glasses

... wouldn't I see the green grass as a kind of gray-y colour with rose tinted glasses? Poor metaphor
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I see something that deserves to be mocked and beaten into submission

I am insulted that you see my Lord and his way that he has taught me as being worthy of being "beaten into submission".  No matter whether or not you mean the "American Monster Religious Machine", I'm taking that you mean Christianity!  I'm even British, and I take offence!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Especially when it takes advantage of youth who are willing to broaden themselves but are limited by church moderated peer groups  striking their ideas down saying that its not gods will or it WILL become more important than god ect. ect. ect.

You've got to explain this one... I don't understand (British... we don't have similar views when it comes to some aspects for the formality and so forth of the church)

Back