Why i haven't reviewed lately and where i've been

CCGR

For starters I sent out my video card a couple weeks to someone who was having problems. It was ultimately the power supply but the beeping stopped with my card. So I may or may not have a working card this week.

To top it all off I was going to tweak out my system with a new window and lights etc but upon removing my CPU fan the lever gave way and the screw driver crashed into my motherboard. Upon troubleshooting with my hubby's CPU it some how got damaged (in his hands not mine!)

So to make a long story short, we should be getting replacement parts tomorrow and this will probably end up with another Windows 2000 reload. I will post pics of the new system and specs once I get back up and running.

Thank God for tax returns

before I gave my card out I was playing the beta of Shadowbane. I was also sent an evaluation copy of Emergency 2 which I haven't installed yet due to lack of 3D graphics

I know what that's like. Just the day before yesterday, my laptop's hard drive went out on me. Fortunately, I had just done all my backups on CDs and my external hard drive in anticipation of problems while working. I've just ordered a small form factor system from Alienware, and will be getting a 14" or 15" flat screen LCD to use with it. The whole combo will fit nicely into the front end of my rack onboard the ship, probably less awkwardly than did my laptop. And, even better, it wil have all the power of an excellent desktop PC. Finally, I'll be able to get back to my work...and play :).

my system is assembled...already broketh blue light
sad.gif
and one of my hard drives is bad.....this is not my week

Yeah...well, at least you discovered the bad drive early on instead of later. They say that if a hard drive's going to fail, it usually does so within the first week of use.

hard drive is a few months old. Probably didn't help that my machine fell over today....my main drive seems okay though

Just when I get my Windows all up and running my sound ports on my motherboard are not working! another replacement....

yay! w00t! This seems to bea time of rejoicing for PC users :). My order went out yesterday for my Alienware SFF system as well, and they're building it!

I notice your network cable seems to be unplugged in http://www.ccgr.org/images/mysystem1.jpg...please...tell me you'll never let that happen again ;-).I love all those lights and stuff in there. You might consider pushing the power cables up around the edges, both to make it look neater, and so as not to restrict air flow. Although, with that many fans...that shouldn't be a problem :).

*sigh*

Have you ever felt that God was conspiring against you and your new computer. I mean, c'mon, especially for those of us who build our own. You spend the time to research each component. You measure this motherboard against that one, this video card against that one, this processor against that one. You feel a small stab of pain each time you part with your money for a certain component, but by the time you get home, all you are thinking of is the new toy. Is it going to be faster and/or better? Will it meet your expectations? Will it be worth that small stab you felt when you paid for it?

So far with the new computer:
- The nifty case with the X-window, the blue LED fan in the middle of the X-Window, the mounting spaces for 6 case fans in addition to the one in the window and the PS fan (8 total!!), the front panel with the flip-down CD-ROM cover and the glowing, color-changing lights? Damaged in shipping. The aluminum is bent in the back, dented on the bottom, and all the plastic pegs that hold the front panel on have snapped off.
- The new MSI KT3V 333 motherboard? Useless. It doesn't even work well enough to tell the power supply to engage when the button on the front of the case is pressed (yes, I'm sure I've hooked it up right). I bought it while in Taiwan on business in their big PC hardware market in Taipei. The only receipt I have (the MasterCard receipt) is all in Chinese and I don't see how I could possibly return it to the reseller anyway.
- The new AMD processor? Dead. No life. Nothing. Also bought in Taiwan, although the AMD customer service said they'll replace it anyway. At least I had the foresight to buy a retail box.
- The new Volcano 9 heatsink and fan with the coolmod attachment? Busted. Two of the plastic supports at the top of the fan were broken during shipping. I didn't notice and only figured it out after I had burned up the motor.
- The new Apacer PC2700 512Mb DDR memory? No idea. Nothing has worked well enough for me to check it out yet.

*big sigh* Sorry. I'm just venting. Between the computer, the family being ill, my daughter getting head lice we can't seem to get rid of, my nephew hovering on the edge of death in the hospital, and everything else that has gone wrong since Lent started, I'm just happy it will be Easter on Sunday. Since Easter really is the celebration of the central core of our faith, it always lifts my spirits (even the year I ended up in the hospital on Easter morning
tounge.gif
)

Thanks for letting me vent. Happy and blessed Easter everyone.

And pray for my poor computer
cool.gif

Oh my I can definitely relate. Sorry about all the problems. Hope you're up and running soon!

Back