Windows 7 upgrade $30 valid student email address required

I'm still paying off student loans (and probably will be for many years to come). Does that mean I qualify? >_<

Windows 7 RTM was released on MSDN, so if you have access you can go ahead and install it. Since I [finally] got a new machine at work we went ahead and did 7 to see how much it breaks.

So far the only issue is trying to get VS 2008 SP1 on. It has been sitting here for about 2 hours... Oh and having to reboot a half dozen times to install update chains for an OS that hasn't even been released...

The only down side to having the upgrade is that you may(or may not, haven't confirmed) need to install and activate and XP or Vista version every time you do a install of 7. I think I'll just buy the full version so I don't have to install 2 OSes every time I clean and format my HD.

A lot of retailers and MS partners can get a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate for $10 through Microsoft Expect Zone. You have to go through some training material and a few tests. I skipped to the tests and finished in under an hour figure it was worth the $319.99 ultimate retails for.

A lot of retailers and MS partners can get a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate for $10 through Microsoft Expect Zone. You have to go through some training material and a few tests. I skipped to the tests and finished in under an hour figure it was worth the $319.99 ultimate retails for.
And this Expert Zone is available to everyone? For free?

It's open to retailers and some companies tied to MS, it's pretty wide ranging from Best Buy to Blockbuster, the company I work for has some ties with Costco so we get in under their account info. It's actually pretty nice they have promotions all the time like free office or this Windows 7 things and they also have deals where you use points and can get nice swag like 360 games for $10. If you are in retail or tech I'd check with your company there are a ton that can sign up.

I can get Windows 7 free through MSDNAA, but if I do I'll not be able to access the internet until the Cisco NAC our college uses gets updated to support it (which they say is going to be around November).

I look forward to the day I can ditch Vista...

Just as an update to anyone doing the Expert zone thing I just received my copy. Apparantly the first 3000 people to complete the sign up got an early copy.

I ordered the Home Version and should have ordered the Professional version because they said the home version will not let you log into a network domain. When I try to get on the internet at school I have to log into a site and then I can access the internet - I'm assuming that's a network domain. I was gonna put it on my netbook (why not!).

Anyway, I sent them an email explaining my problem and they said they couldn't change it because it was a one time purchase... =P

Oh well. My gaming computer will be Vista free here soon unless I am confused and I can log in to my schools thing with Win7 Home edition.

I'll post a screenshot of the login page to show you all when I'm at school.

Here are the some screenshots to help. I am still unsure whether or not this is a network domain or not.

Network2.jpg

Is that a network domain?

This one also comes up but I don't think it has much to do with network domains...

Network1.jpg

This is the school's wireless I'm talking about.

Here are the some screenshots to help. I am still unsure whether or not this is a network domain or not.

/* removed large image */

Is that a network domain?

This one also comes up but I don't think it has much to do with network domains...

/* removed large image */

This is the school's wireless I'm talking about.

No. A domain would be indicated in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System, System -> Computer name -> Network ID. This involves the administrator of the domain joining the computer with their password. This makes the machine 10x slower and gives them absolute control over the machine. Unless you were using a school owned laptop, you probably wont be asked to join a domain.

Back