Windows 7 x64 Video Problems

snake_eyes

Has anyone else experienced video choppiness and/or lockups while running under windows 7pro x64?

I never had any problems with my current hardware on XP(sp3) until I switched to 7x64 a several months ago.

Basically what happens is I will be walking along and all of a sudden the entire screen will lock up and then both monitors will go black for about 3-5 seconds, then everything will flicker and come back to normal.

Occasionally this will happen multiple times in a few seconds resulting in big multicolored "snow" pixels all over the screen.

It is hard enough to farm raptors as a ranger... it doesnt help for the game to crash too!

Here is a quick breakdown of my setup:

Athlon 64x2 3.0ghz
2 GB Corsair Ram
Nvidia Geforce 8600GT PCI-E running the latest Nvidia drivers

HALP!

I've been running Win7 Pro x64 for a while now, and never had any problems. It seems that it *may* be a problem with the graphics card/drivers. Though since you have the latest I dunno. (I run ATI graphics cards, so I don't know about anything to do with potential nVidia problems)

I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and was experiencing video driver crashes during guild wars and another game. It's an EVGA GeForce 275 GTX and I noticed on the EVGA Utility that the GPU usage would spike to 100% and that's when the driver crashed. I tried differing things like manually bumping up the fan speed when I play a game, changed the graphics driver to a cuda-compatible driver. It helped but I still experienced a periodic crash in the other game. I eventually discovered if I keep Firefox off while I'm in game I don't experience problems. I read somewhere that Firefox, which is still my main browser, has a memory leak when used in Windows 7 64-bit. I don't know the connection with my graphics card, but it seems to have solved my problem.

That is interesting. I have an older system but a similar problem. I wonder if closing Chrome will solve the problem. I'll give it a try - thanks.

For nvidia based mobos see if you have the latest nforce drivers installed. For amd mobos make sure you have the latest chipset drivers installed. These drivers contain the crucial communications paths to the video card drivers and if either of those are out of sync you'll have issues.

I disabled Nvidia Physx which I remembered I enabled just after rebuilding my pc a while back for Arkham Asylum.

Seemed like it helped at first, but I still lagged a good bit during a DOA run Saturday night. Then as soon as I mapped to my GH I got the lovely BSOD

I have all of the latest drivers... I guess its just a chipset compatibility problem with my old mobo. :(

Back