Operation Burnination: Tek's PC situation

Tek7 (Legacy)

CGA & ToJ President
NOTE: This thread is dedicated to posting updates concerning the status of my primary PC. If you are looking for an educational or entertaining thread, this is not the one you want.

To get everyone up to speed, let's review:

1. I first knew there was something wrong when my PC hard-locked and I rebooted to the hideous "Missing or corrupt \WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM" error message. I was able to restore a nearly-blank registry and re-install my drivers to get back into Windows. When I tried to pull up video files on my 200GB drive, I discovered that whatever had corrupted my Windows registry had also corrupted several of my media files. After freaking out, I got on my backup PC and asked around for online radio stations. I backed up my essential files and burned them to four (yes, four) CDs.

2. When running RAM diagnostics, I noticed the testing utility exhibiting some strange behavior. I opened my case to pull my 256MB stick of RAM. While digging in my PC's innards, I noticed swollen capacitors on my motherboard. I called Crucial to start the RMA process for my RAM.

3. I briefly flirted with the idea of purchasing a new motherboard, then remembered my mobo might be under warranty. I called Giga-byte to start the RMA process motherboard, then ventured back into my PC's case to get my mobo's serial number. I used a compact mirror to read the number without pulling the motherboard (heh) while Ember so kindly wrote it down. I called G-B back, started the RMA process, hung up, and went back to my case to start disconnecting cards and cables. I struggled with the power supply lead to the motherboard for over ten minutes. When I finally disconnected, I found charred pins on the power lead. I would need to RMA my power supply--and possibly my UPS as well.

4. Freaked out and fearing whatever had charred my power lead and motherboard power socket had fried every other component in my box, I called APC and asked if my UPS could have failed and let a surge through. The tech took my information, but I decided to wait on starting the replacement process when I learned that I'd have to pay to ship my 40+ lb. UPS back to the manufacturer.

5. I called Antec to start the RMA process for my power supply. The tech asked if I was using an AMD processor. When I replied "Yes," he told me that AMD processors tended to pull too much power and carmelize the power supply lead. I decided it best to RMA my processor as well.

6. I called AMD to start the RMA process for my CPU. The rep said that she hadn't heard of AMD processor toasting power supply leads, but approved the RMA request anyway.

7. I reviewed the instructions for my four RMA requests.

8. I pulled, wrapped, and boxed up my RAM, motherboard (thanks to the kind people at Computer Concepts for the free large anti-static bag!), CPU (with heatsink and fan), and power supply.

9. I mailed out my RAM, motherboard, and CPU (with heatsink and fan) from a nearby USPS branch.

10. I opened up Ember's PC and removed her CD-R/W. I then pulled my Lite-On 52X CD-R/W drive and 200GB hard drive and installed them both in Ember's PC. After the original 20GB drive in her system and my 200GB drive passed the Western Digital Data Lifeguard diagnostics, I booted the PC into Windows. Win XP ran chkdsk on my 200GB drive and fixed a whole mess of problems.

11. I checked several of my anime files to find they'd been fixed! Unfortunately, I still lost 209 audio files to corruption.

12. I installed a new BitTorrent client, ABC, on Ember's PC. (Azureus was just too resource-intensive to run on her machine and one of the BitTorrent sites I visit blocked BitComet users.) I resumed all the torrents that had been running when my PC flipped out.

That brings us up to the present! I'll ship out my power supply for RMA as soon as Antec approves the request and gives me a RMA number.

So, what does it all mean? It means that I'll be without my primary PC for approximately a month. During this time, I can't play Half-Life 1 or 2, any HL or HL2 mods, UT2004, or any UT2004 mods. Basically, I can't play anything but Starcraft.

I was able to restore all my e-mails to my user account on Ember's PC, so I have access to those again. I'm able to send and receive e-mails, post on the forums, and chat, so I'm still available for discussion and brain-picking.

In short, I'm social, but not gaming. I should be back in the game in about a month, God willing. In the meantime, I intend on spending what time I can with the community and bringing in new CGA affiliates. I'll also be leading ToJ staff meetings, so no worries on that front.

I believe that about covers it. Phew. Aren't your eyes sore yet?

Stay tuned to this thread for updates!

Last edited:
Ah, glad you're making progress, Tek.

"strongbad, do you have any viruses?", "no", "do you have 400,000 viruses?", "yes, very yes!"

That's too long of a post Tek. I'll finish reading it when I need some sleep tonight. :p :p

Just teasing, lol. Was everything under warranty for a free replacement, or what? And how much will all of the combined shipping cost? Will you need to buy anything new (I know that you were looking at a mouse too)?

Hey! Now we can play StarCraft!

Bowser said:
That's too long of a post Tek.
*chuckle* I totally agree.

Was everything under warranty for a free replacement, or what?
Everything was under warranty.

And how much will all of the combined shipping cost?
I've spent $15 on shipping three packages ($9 on shipping my motherboard alone). Today, I'm going to the post office to ship my power supply, which will likely be the most expensive to ship.

Will you need to buy anything new (I know that you were looking at a mouse too)?
Not unless my mouse really is dead. It had been cutting out sporadically a few days before my PC crashed, so I'm hoping it's the motherboard, and not the mouse, that was causing the problem. If the mouse is dead, then I'll need to buy a new one, eventually. True, I have a few spare ball mice, but that's unsatisfactory for gaming. I'm still taking suggestions for a new mouse in preparation for the worst case scenario.

Last edited:
From my experience RMA processes dont take that long. Western Digital is really fast, took 1.5 weeks to get back from when we shipped it till we got it back. Then my laptop took a week from ship to recieving it back. The mouse issue sounds odd, but i agree, it might have been the USB ports themselves or the controller for it on the backside bus going crazy since the processor is also located on the backside bus.

Talon said:
From my experience RMA processes dont take that long.
A Giga-byte tech told me that their RMA process takes 10 to 15 business days. That's two to three weeks in addition to the time it takes for the package to travel from my local post office to their headquarters.

at least i found something entertai... i mean educating while im being bored to death in my comp sci class.

MAY 11, 2005 UPDATE:

- Power supply: Antec gave me my RMA number Monday (5/9); I shipped out the power supply the same day...FOR ELEVEN DOLLARS. Grr.
- Processor: AMD received my CPU with heatsink and fan Tuesday (5/10). They shipped out a replacement the same day. FedEx tracking indicates the new CPU with heatsink and fan should arrive Saturday, May 14. It should be noted that I sent in an AMD Athlon XP 2600+; they're sending me an Athlon XP 2700+ as a replacement. A very slight upgrade, but still appreciated.
- Motherboard, RAM: According to the USPS Track & Confirm page, my motherboard and RAM have also reached their destinations. I'm currently waiting on updates from Giga-byte and Crucial on RMA status.

MAY 12, 2005 UPDATE:

- Crucial sent e-mails confirming that they received my RAM at 10:10PM on May 11, 2005.
- According to the USPS Track & Confirm page, Antec received my busted power supply 11:53 am on May 11, 2005.

MAY 13, 2005 UPDATE:

- FedEx delivered my replacement CPU with heatsink and fan today.
- According to UPS Package Tracking, my RAM should arrive on Monday, May 16.
- Still no word from Giga-byte or Antec, even though USPS tracking confirms they've received the packages.

MAY 27, 2005 UPDATE:

- I received my Antec power supply on the 26th.
- FedEx attempted to deliver my motherboard while I was out with Ember shopping for the apartment this afternoon. Since it's a home delivery, they'll try again tomorrow. Provided nothing goes weird, I'll have the last component for the rebuild tomorrow evening. w00t!

MAY 28, 2005 UPDATE:

w00t! My motherboard JUST arrived from FedEx. I need to finish up a few more tasks for my Job Search(TM) and internship application, but I'm going to try to rebuild my PC tonight.

:D

MAY 31, 2005 UPDATE:

I rebuilt my PC tonight...only to boot Windows to a corrupted D drive once again. I rebooted and Windows started chkdsk. About five minutes in, the system halted and the entire screen glitched. See below:

(File names blurred for security purposes.)

So now it seems my video card was also fried in the power surge that toasted my motherboard and power supply lead.

Unfortunately, the RMA process for my video card is a wee bit more difficult...since Gainward, the card's manufacturer, is based in Germany.

The plan now is to buy a new video card, RMA the Gainward card at my leisure, install the new video card in my system when I receive it (I'll likely buy the card online), and place the replacement Gainward card in Ember's PC when it arrives.

This has been a nightmare.

EDIT: I pray that the video card glitch didn't damage other components. My motherboard was reading my 512MB RAM stick as 256MB; perhaps this replacement motherboard was damaged by the video card as well. (See "512MB RAM stick only showing as 256MB?" thread for details.) Since I don't know what originally caused the problems with my PC, I can't say.

Last edited:
New plan:

• RMA the 512MB stick of RAM again.
  • Test the PC with the same video card and the 256MB RAM only in order to exclude the possibility of the 512MB stick of RAM causing the problem.
  • If the system does not throw graphical junk with only the 256MB RAM installed AND the system recognizes the new 512MB RAM as 512MB, then the motherboard and video card are probably good.
  • When I receive the replacement 512MB RAM, test the RAM in the PC. If the motherboard recognizes it as 512MB, then the motherboard may still be good.
  • If the system still gives graphical glitches with just the 256MB RAM installed BUT recognizes the new 512MB RAM as 512MB, then purchase a new video card.
  • If the system still gives graphical glitches with just the 256MB RAM installed AND the system does not recognize the new 512MB RAM as 512MB, purchase a new motherboard and RMA the Giga-byte board. If a new motherboard does not fix the graphical glitch problem, purchase a new video card.

I just tested my system again with only the 256MB RAM installed and it gave the same graphical glitches. This eliminates the possibilty of the 512MB RAM interfering with the video card.

So, when the 512MB RAM arrives, I'll pop it in and see if it reads it as 512MB. If it does, time to order a new video card. If it doesn't, time to order a new motherboard.

Phew. At least I have a plan of action.

I called Crucial earlier today (May 31) and received an RMA number. They'll ship me a replacement for my 512MB RAM today or tomorrow. Once I receive it, I'll send my 512MB stick back.

I'll post again once I receive the RAM and test it.

Back