Favorite Bible Verses

Thrawn

We were having a discussion in Guild Chat this evening about what peoples' favorite Bible verses were, and I figured I'd start a thread on the subject for posterity. :)

I've got a few:
Proverbs 31:10
A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.

Ephesians 5:3
But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people.

1 Timothy 4:12
Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in life, in love, in faith, and in purity.

Job 31:1
I made a covenant with my eyes not to look lustfully at a girl.

And most of Corinthians.

Last edited:
Job 38

Job 38:4-13 (NIV)

4 "Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation?
Tell me, if you understand.
5 Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know!
Who stretched a measuring line across it?
6 On what were its footings set,
or who laid its cornerstone-
7 while the morning stars sang together
and all the angels [a] shouted for joy?
8 "Who shut up the sea behind doors
when it burst forth from the womb,
9 when I made the clouds its garment
and wrapped it in thick darkness,
10 when I fixed limits for it
and set its doors and bars in place,
11 when I said, 'This far you may come and no farther;
here is where your proud waves halt'?
12 "Have you ever given orders to the morning,
or shown the dawn its place,
13 that it might take the earth by the edges
and shake the wicked out of it?

The entire chapter is amazing. Give it a read sometime.

psalm 37

Psalm 37
Of David.
1 [a] Do not fret because of evil men
or be envious of those who do wrong;

2 for like the grass they will soon wither,
like green plants they will soon die away.

3 Trust in the LORD and do good;
dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.

4 Delight yourself in the LORD
and he will give you the desires of your heart.

5 Commit your way to the LORD;
trust in him and he will do this:

6 He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn,
the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.

7 Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him;
do not fret when men succeed in their ways,
when they carry out their wicked schemes.

8 Refrain from anger and turn from wrath;
do not fret—it leads only to evil.

9 For evil men will be cut off,
but those who hope in the LORD will inherit the land.

10 A little while, and the wicked will be no more;
though you look for them, they will not be found.

11 But the meek will inherit the land
and enjoy great peace.

12 The wicked plot against the righteous
and gnash their teeth at them;

13 but the Lord laughs at the wicked,
for he knows their day is coming.

14 The wicked draw the sword
and bend the bow
to bring down the poor and needy,
to slay those whose ways are upright.

15 But their swords will pierce their own hearts,
and their bows will be broken.

16 Better the little that the righteous have
than the wealth of many wicked;

17 for the power of the wicked will be broken,
but the LORD upholds the righteous.

18 The days of the blameless are known to the LORD,
and their inheritance will endure forever.

19 In times of disaster they will not wither;
in days of famine they will enjoy plenty.

20 But the wicked will perish:
The LORD's enemies will be like the beauty of the fields,
they will vanish—vanish like smoke.

21 The wicked borrow and do not repay,
but the righteous give generously;

22 those the LORD blesses will inherit the land,
but those he curses will be cut off.

23 If the LORD delights in a man's way,
he makes his steps firm;

24 though he stumble, he will not fall,
for the LORD upholds him with his hand.

25 I was young and now I am old,
yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken
or their children begging bread.

26 They are always generous and lend freely;
their children will be blessed.

27 Turn from evil and do good;
then you will dwell in the land forever.

28 For the LORD loves the just
and will not forsake his faithful ones.
They will be protected forever,
but the offspring of the wicked will be cut off;

29 the righteous will inherit the land
and dwell in it forever.

30 The mouth of the righteous man utters wisdom,
and his tongue speaks what is just.

31 The law of his God is in his heart;
his feet do not slip.

32 The wicked lie in wait for the righteous,
seeking their very lives;

33 but the LORD will not leave them in their power
or let them be condemned when brought to trial.

34 Wait for the LORD
and keep his way.
He will exalt you to inherit the land;
when the wicked are cut off, you will see it.

35 I have seen a wicked and ruthless man
flourishing like a green tree in its native soil,

36 but he soon passed away and was no more;
though I looked for him, he could not be found.

37 Consider the blameless, observe the upright;
there is a future for the man of peace.

38 But all sinners will be destroyed;
the future [c] of the wicked will be cut off.

39 The salvation of the righteous comes from the LORD;
he is their stronghold in time of trouble.

40 The LORD helps them and delivers them;
he delivers them from the wicked and saves them,
because they take refuge in him.

Because I have so many kids this is one of my favorites...

Proverbs 22:15
15 Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.

LOL:D

But this is another one of my favorites...(why?, it's a testimony in itself. I will explain in the Power Of God Thread later.)

Matthew 6:26
26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

There is also a quote about something like...
Obedience is better than sacrifice which I like to throw at the kids too :)

There are so many! But these are a few I have marked in my study notes.

1 Peter 3:15 - But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,

James 1:2-5 - Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.

John 15:18-19 - "If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.

1 Corinthians 10:13 - No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

Malachi 3:8-10 - "Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me. "But you ask, 'How do we rob you?' "In tithes and offerings. You are under a curse—the whole nation of you—because you are robbing me. Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.

Proverbs 30:5-6 - "Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar.

2 Timothy 4:3-4 - For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.

Ephesians 4:29 - Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

Jeremiah 17:9-10 - The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? "I the LORD search the heart and examine the mind, to reward a man according to his conduct, according to what his deeds deserve."

Ecclesiastes 7:20 - Indeed, there is no one on earth who is righteous, no one who does what is right and never sins.

Romans 5:19 - For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.

Romans 8:31 - What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?

Romans 14:11 - It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "

Psalms 66:18 - If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened;

Thrawn, you're scaring me! I was planning to start a "Favorite Verses" thread at lunch today, and I missed the guild chat on the topic! :eek:

Okay, here's one of mine:

The LORD is my light and my salvation;
Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the strength of my life;
Of whom shall I be afraid?

Psalm 27:1

Our church is going to create some sort of meditation garden, so they had members write something (scripture or scripture reference, quote, whatever) on a small stone to become a part of the walkway; this was my choice.

Last edited:
You missed that? That was when I accidentally said I was studying Song of Songs in Alliance chat... :D

And azure, I love that verse in Malachi. It's like God's saying to us, "C'mon, I dare ya." :eek: :D

Oh, I caught your comment in Alliance. As evidenced by the resulting (good-spirited) teasing. :D

I didn't know there was a conversation going on in guild chat; I must have had it turned off. I know I had alliance turned on for the PvP announcements.

Wow the depth of verses chosen here is INCREDIBLE. These verse all go so far beyond the usual John 3:16 or 1John 4:7&8. We even have some form the Old Testament and LCA quoted the Italian prophet (Malachi :)). My respect grows for this guild and its member every day.

Romans 8:18
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.

Numbers 11:18-20
18 "Tell the people: 'Consecrate yourselves in preparation for tomorrow, when you will eat meat. The LORD heard you when you wailed, "If only we had meat to eat! We were better off in Egypt!" Now the LORD will give you meat, and you will eat it. 19 You will not eat it for just one day, or two days, or five, ten or twenty days, 20 but for a whole month—until it comes out of your nostrils and you loathe it—because you have rejected the LORD, who is among you, and have wailed before him, saying, "Why did we ever leave Egypt?" ' "

Kel realy gets into the poetry in the Bible and some of her favorites are:
John 1:1-5 and 14
1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2The same was in the beginning with God.
3All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

14And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Psalm 8
1 O LORD, our Lord,
how majestic is your name in all the earth!
You have set your glory
above the heavens.
2 From the lips of children and infants
you have ordained praise
because of your enemies,
to silence the foe and the avenger.
3 When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have set in place,
4 what is man that you are mindful of him,
the son of man that you care for him?
5 You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings [c]
and crowned him with glory and honor.
6 You made him ruler over the works of your hands;
you put everything under his feet:
7 all flocks and herds,
and the beasts of the field,
8 the birds of the air,
and the fish of the sea,
all that swim the paths of the seas.
9 O LORD, our Lord,
how majestic is your name in all the earth!

I really enjoy Phillipians 4:11 but as a whole I greatly enjoy the Book of James. I would have to say it is my Faveorite book in the Bible right now. Also the Faith Chapter in Hebrews I enjoy I believe Chapter 11 correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
We just finished studying Job a couple of weeks ago, and I think chapter 38 is evidence that God has a sense of humor!

Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said: Who is this who darkens counsel by words without knowledge? Now prepare yourself like a man; I will question you, and you shall answer Me.

Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell Me, if you have understanding. Who determined its measurements? Surely you know!

Job 38 1:1-5
If you go on and read chapters 38 and 39, it's great. As my Sunday School teacher put it, Job's friends must have been "calling for their camels and sneaking out the back door of the tent..." :D

I think we all need that reminder sometimes.

MaidMirawyn said:
evidence that God has a sense of humor!

Manyik said:
Numbers 11:19-20
19 You will not eat it for just one day, or two days, or five, ten or twenty days, 20 but for a whole month—until it comes out of your nostrils and you loathe it—because you have rejected the LORD, who is among you, and have wailed before him, saying, "Why did we ever leave Egypt?" ' "

Meat coming out of your nostrils is gross, yes, but it's also pretty funny stuff. :D

Thrawn said:
And azure, I love that verse in Malachi. It's like God's saying to us, "C'mon, I dare ya."

That's why that verse is one of my favorites! The Lord is actually daring us to test Him!

Thrain said:
Job 38

The entire chapter is amazing. Give it a read sometime.
oo i read Job!

anyway, I basically like most of Genesis, and then Romans (i'll pick a Romans quote):

"God 'will give to each person according to what he has done.'" Romans 2:6

also, i like the location where my name is found (ill just use where it tells how long he lives):

"Altogether, Jared lived 962 years, and then he died."

aw i died :(
:p

I was reading something once that said (jokingly) if you really wanted to get in trouble in Sunday School, tell the teacher your favorite Bible verse is Ezekiel 23:20. :eek: :p

"Altogether, Jared lived 962 years, and then he died."
Dang, you're old! :p

Thrawn said:
I was reading something once that said (jokingly) if you really wanted to get in trouble in Sunday School, tell the teacher your favorite Bible verse is Ezekiel 23:20. :eek: :p

Dang, you're old! :p
i love Ezekial 23:20!!!
JUST
KIDDING.
that would so get you in trouble o.o

LOL

There are plenty of verses to get you in trouble. Like much of Thrawn's new favorite book, Song of Songs/Solomon... :D

Another wonderful passage:
Praise the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heavens.

Praise him for his acts of power; praise him for his surpassing greatness.

Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet, praise him with the harp and lyre,

Praise him with tambourine and dancing, praise him with the strings and flute,

Praise him with the clash of cymbals, praise him with resounding cymbals.

Let everything that has breath praise the LORD!

Psalm 150

A fitting close to the Psalms!

This scripture came up on the toj website when I went there...
I really like this one :) for obvious reasons

Psalms 127:3-5
Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.

Back