What did you learn in church today?

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
(I meant to start this thread yesterday afternoon, but got sidetracked.)

The purpose of this thread is for forum users to share about sermons preached at their local churches. Users do not need to list the name of the local church they attend, but can do so if they would like to.

I figured this could be a fun and insightful thread for Sunday afternoons, Sunday mornings, and, for those that attend Wednesday evening services, Wednesday nights and Thursday mornings.

So, what did you learn in church yesterday (Sunday, June 13, 2010)?

"Your focus needs more focus," from the Karate Kid is true for Christians, as well. To face this life - to face each day - your focus needs more focus every day.

We go through the Bible in my church. Been in Revelation for a while. Revelation 12 this week (Pre-trib view). Woman (Israel) and Child (Messiah) flee from the red dragon (Satan/Devil). Bit of war in heaven, Satan loses his ability to come before God to accuse the brethren. Satan is mad, goes after the woman (Israel). God protects Woman, Satan even more angry goes after anyone who believes.

Last edited:
At my church, Giving Tree Church, this month we've been focusing on stirring up the gifts of God and it's by His grace, or his undeserved favor that we are able to use our gifts and to combat the spirit of fear or timidity that is NOT from God. While we are supposed to fear God it's not a fear of punishment it's a fear of how awesome and big God is. And we are all part of the body of Christ, but we aren't all a liver, or a finger, we are all different and have different gifts and, according to my pastor's opinion, the best gift is the one that is needed now. There is more we talked about but I haven't quite processed it all yet ;)

Sadly, I did not attend services this week. I doubled up with my youth group and we worked together to prepare our new classroom (I'm teaching them the value of hard work!)

But my church posts the sermons online, usually by Wednesday morning. I'll be downloading it and listening to it tomorrow afternoon.

If you're interested in seeing pictures, click here. I think it should let you see the pics, but I don't know for sure - security settings might block anyone that's not on my friends list.

Today I attended a church i used to attend. There, the pastor was going through the days of creation in Genesis, and focused on the fact that "God's Word separates things," speaking on the meaning of holiness and how we are to be holy.

We are going through How to Be Attractive - Without Looking Good. Today we learned that one thing that draws others to Christians is our JOY - beginning with Paul's question in Galatians 4:15:
What has happened to all your joy? Galatians 4:15 (NIV)

lol. you keep asking on skip days. My small group went on a trip to the Creation Museum in northern Kentucky. I would highly recommend going there if you are ever in the area and looking for something to do. But I would caution you to take a full 6 or 7 hours to go through - we rushed through in 5 (no kids) and still felt like there was quite a bit left to see.

We took a look at Barzillai in our Nobody Special series - 2 Samuel 17 and 19. You are never to old - nor too young - to be used by God.

We had an involved lesson on Matthew 5:4 "Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted," cross referenced with a lesson on Jeremiah. Rather than getting angry at our situation, we should be mourning the fact that God's children are lost and hurting.

We did an in-depth study on the Book of Jonah, specifically focusing on chapters 1 and 3. The point that stood out the most to me was 1:6

The captain went to him and said, “How can you sleep?"

The pastor made a great point about this. Each of our responses may be different, but when we are running away, we find something else to do. Sometimes we sleep, sometimes we play computer games, watch TV/Movies, read a book, post in the forums, or any other activity.

But when it comes down to it, we tend to avoid things we don't like, and find *anything* else to do, even if it seems like completely the wrong thing to do.

and on that note, I'll be starting my homework now...

From seedsofhopetoledo.org > Recent Messages > "The Cultural Spirit of the Last Days"

2 Timothy 3:1-5; 3:10-17

This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; and that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Not to be anxious at the Change of seasons. lol imagine him putting me where I needed to hear that! wOOt!

Back