1.6 tech help

Zealot

My fps has gone from 50 to 18 for some reason... does anyone know how I can fix this?

(Radeon 7500 graphics card set on open_gl with vsync off)

Everyone FPS has gone down including mine. I went from 100 to 40 fps in the conversion. Its mainly because of the new graphics of 1.6
How to fix it?

Got me there =\

If everyone had not, i have some solutions that fixed mine.

First, Turn off your vertical Sync. This is supported by most videocard drivers. Mine allows it to turn off during OpenGl's launch. I believe most of you have a way of turning it off somehow..

Sencond solution is trying to regulate your resolution while turning on OpenGl and such. Mine were on 1152x864 in 1.5, but i lowered it to 1024x768 in Steam, and i had a better fps.

Third thing (this may not comply for all of you), if your computer can hold it up, try putting some quality points up the OpenGl. In my video card, there are options for OpenGl, such as Vsync off, balancing quality and performance and such. If your vid card software has it, i recommend using it. However, if your videocard's memory is short, or computer specs are not so good, do not.

Even if these worked for me, sometimes i get a laggy part of the game. the fps depends on your connection, and your videocard's processor speed. Also, depending on your location in the map, it also changes. By doing most of the steps i showed, i got it fixed, but my fps shifts from 100 to 70ish. Sometimes, down to 40.. I guess this means i won't be able to put 1.6 and Steam on to my other comp
tounge.gif

fyi Vsync does not give you lower fps.  Actually it limits your fps to your monitors refresh rate.  Say refresh is 85Hz.  Your monitor will NOT display anything faster than 85 fps...even though your comp is putting out 100fps.  Vsync prevents your comp from trying to produce fps higher than 85, and this gives your vid card some extra punch it can use on other things like anti-aliasing.  In other words, I dont see any point in turning V-sync off,  outperforming your monitor gets you nowhere.
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Flash @ Sep. 20 2003,10:09)]Sencond solution is trying to regulate your resolution while turning on OpenGl and such. Mine were on 1152x864 in 1.5, but i lowered it to 1024x768 in Steam, and i had a better fps.
  Whats the matter Flash? your 1337 compzor cant handle 1.6?
tounge.gif
 ...oh wait that would mean mine cant either
sad.gif

Is the steam network down for anyone else?   ...maybe its just so laggy my 'nonlaggy' computer thinks it down  
laugh.gif
Anyway dont expect to see me around, I havent even been able to successfully launch the program since I upgraded from the beta. Lets face it...Steam is the sux. We're probly gonna need a "steam Tech support" section In our cs forums to help all the noobs such as mysleff.

actually, i did switch bak to 1024x768 in 1.5, cuz i didn't like the ultimate big big screen somehow.. i like the size right now, and i'll keep it.

Another thing is the addition of weather on maps like aztec. You can turn it off with cl_weather 0. Doing this got me back to 60 fps solid versus the occasional 30-50 fps.

Just remember, visually, you aren't going to see much of a difference on anything over 30 FPS. So, why not just make it look good?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheElite @ Sep. 22 2003,3:36)]Just remember, visually, you aren't going to see much of a difference on anything over 30 FPS. So, why not just make it look good?
Roger that. btw, I havent had any problem after installing steam. I love the new shield.

Cory

30 fps would be fine if it really did that consistently, but the problem is really the choppiness... its so UNsmooth when it goes from 60 to 20 then back to 40 then 10 depending on all the things mentioned above (map size,weather,smoke grenades).

Back