1.8 Info

Gator

What I'll try to do with this thread is keep you guys & gals up to date on what's happening with the 1.8 Update.
tumblr_lnvpoh3rJE1qzb7ox.png

Notch said:
Most of the basics of the game engine is in place, so it’s time to flesh this game out into something more gamey.
More content, more exploration, more things to do, and interesting combat!
Once this update is out, there will only some tweaks, optimizations and code cleanups left to the core game before we can call it a full release.

We’ve got a list of some 40+ things we want to add to the game, some small, some big. Some huge.
We’ve finished a fair number of the items, but there’s still a significant amount of work left.
While I can’t reveal the date yet for various reasons, we do have a release date for the Adventure Update in mind, and we’re hoping we’ll be able to hit it.

Jens and I are keeping the exact contents of the update secret, but we do leak some information every now and then to keep people interested and to stop us from going insane.
For the most immediate spoilers, you can follow us on Twitter (@notch and @jeb_), or on Google+ (+Markus Persson and +Jens Bergensten).

As soon as I can reveal the release date we’re aiming for, I will!
Oh, and the modding support is happening, honest.

Here are a few of the things we’ve revealed so far:

NPC villages(Not The Final Look)
Randomly generated dungeons(Ruins?)
New biome code
Fully working Creative Mode (and individual admins can enter Creative Mode on a Survival Mode server if they choose)
Critical hits
Sprinting
More farming options

Last edited:
Oh yeah we just need some Team based raids in there and Minecraft will be played for a looooooooong time. :)

Coming soon to 1.8: hold-to-charge bows, huge pile of tweaked and improved sounds
Blocking & New Mob/Monster Animations

Last edited:
Full Article Here

IGN: For those currently playing the PC beta, we're anticipating the release of the Adventure Update. It seems as though the release of this patch is going to significantly alter the game experience. What makes now the right time to add in more gamey elements, and was that always the plan from the start?

Markus Persson: I've always intended for Minecraft to be more of a comprehensive game experience, even if it will always be extremely sandbox in nature. Recently, most updates have been less bold than they were earlier on when I added things like infinte sized worlds, crafting, a lighting engine and so almost on a whim. In order for us to be able to finish the game in time for the release date we're aiming at, we had to step up the game and focus on game features again.

There obviously are players who prefer the less gamey aspects of Minecraft, so the Adventure Update will also include a fully fleshed out Creative mode where you can access all blocks in the game, take no damage, and can fly if you desire. You'll even be able to set this per-player in multiplayer in case you want your moderators to have the ability to easily navigate the map and deal with griefing.

IGN: Can you provide more detail on the NPC villages? How large will they be? What will the NPCs be doing there? Will they live in houses? What sorts of services will they provide, if any? Can you kill them and break their stuff? Are there a limited number of villages in someone's world?

Markus Persson: I'd rather keep this secret for now, but I will say that you can choose to either help the villages or to destroy them if you wish.

IGN: What are some of the additional farming options for the update? And can go you into detail about how the random dungeons will function?

Markus Persson: We've added melons, and made both melons and pumpkins farmable so you can grow them. Both have a central stem that slowly grows to max size. When it's max size, it will randomly spawn a fruit next to it if there isn't one next to it at the moment. We might add even more farming options if needed.

The random dungeons are part of the terrain, and will contain a reason to explore them. It's likely our first boss monster may appear in the dungeons, but we haven't gotten that far in their development yet.

IGN: Is there a release date or window for the Adventure Update? Would you be able to share it?

Markus Persson: We're taking the time to play around with this update. There's lots of playtesting and brainstorming going on, so we decided to just set a fairly distant release date for once. The first publicly playable version of the Adventure Update will be available at our booth at PAX in August. Then we'll go back, tweak it based off the feedback we get, and release 1.8.

Back