2000 or XP

Since I found Windows XP, should I install it or should I keep using 2000?

• Total voters
XP far surpasses 2000 in a number of ways, plus XP is not only still supported and will be for awhile, but I find it much much better than Vista...

Most of the hardware in the computer was designed during XP's days.

I just liked Windows 2k because you do not have to re-register it everytime you have to reinstall.

No leash FTW.

Most of the hardware in the computer was designed during XP's days.

I just liked Windows 2k because you do not have to re-register it everytime you have to reinstall.

No leash FTW.

2k is also no longer supported by Microsoft. There are now some serious security holes present inside 2k that will not ever get patched. XP will have security update support until at least 2014
http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-us&x=6&y=9&p1=3223

Many hardware drivers if you want them updated also no longer support 2k. I would go with xp. The activation while a pain isn't that bad.

Vista with SP1 is the best OS out there...

mainstream XP support is going to be gone within a year... the extended support is not for security... it is for dork who refuse to install something else and get a problem... they will patch xp now and then with some very minor updates...

if you have a machine that can go with vista sp1... wait, and get that when you can...

but,

don't fix it if it isnt broken... if you have everything you need out of win2k keep win2k... why go through a reformat if you dont have to?

Vista r0xx0rz my s0xx0rz.

And that's the first time I have ever made a statement about Vista which did not include the words and phrases
"trash" "hack job" "sickening"
"an experience only a masochist would appreciate"
"buggy as a swamp"
"the code must resemble that of drunken monkeys pounding on keyboards with their foreheads"
"so revolting that my PC actually spit the DVD out the first time I tried to install it"

you cant really make global declarations about an OS without talking about what context. For the bleeding edge directX10 games, Vista has no competition. For rock hard stability, integrity and security Linux wins For giving a solid windows environment on legacy hardware XP is your man. But saying one is overall better without any context (usage, hardware, user environment) just becomes fanboyism in my opinion.

Last edited:
you cant really make global declarations about an OS without talking about what context. For the bleeding edge directX10 games, Vista has no competition. For rock hard stability, integrity and security Linux wins For giving a solid windows environment on legacy hardware XP is your man. But saying one is overall better without any context (usage, hardware, user environment) just becomes fanboyism in my opinion.

Very well said...thanks :)

I just got tired of having to Google my way into getting a certain program to work (latest addition to the list was DirectX for Warhammer).
don't fix it if it isnt broken... if you have everything you need out of win2k keep win2k... why go through a reformat if you dont have to?
I had an extra HD laying around.

Last edited:
Vista with SP1 is the best OS out there...

mainstream XP support is going to be gone within a year... the extended support is not for security... it is for dork who refuse to install something else and get a problem... they will patch xp now and then with some very minor updates...

security updates for XP are good until 2014...let me give yoou the official url form microsoft itself:

Products ReleasedGeneral Availability DateMainstream Support RetiredExtended Support RetiredService Pack RetiredNotesWindows XP Professional12/31/20014/14/20094/8/2014
Now what do these fields mean?
What is the difference between Mainstream Support, Extended Support, and online self-help support?
Support provided
Mainstream Support phase
Extended Support phase
Paid support (per-incident, per hour, and others)
X
X
Security update support
X
X
Non-security hotfix support
X
Requires extended hotfix agreement, purchased within 90 days of mainstream support ending.
No-charge incident support
X

Warranty claims
X

Design changes and feature requests
X

Product-specific information that is available by using the online Microsoft Knowledge Base​
X
X
Product-specific information that is available by using the Support site at Microsoft Help and Support to find answers to technical questions
X
X​

XP will be security suported until 2014. We "dorks" who do not want a drm infested, bloated operating system that requires a 3.0ghz or faster single core or 1.8 ghz or faster dual core and two gigs of ram to boot in under 4 minutes like the speed of XP. Vista in many tests has bombed. I know of one failry large DOD contractor who is under orderds to NOT deployr vista OR office 2k7 due to the massive issues they present. Vista is ok in either a vista/2k8 network with new hardware..but vista does not play well in a ton of scenarios with even xp. MS has even moved up vista 2.0(they clal it windows 7) to late next year. Google for hard facts about vista. It's not really that great. if it didn't have hte massive DRM infection i think it would be decent but the DRM and since smb 2.0 is actually not there for technical reason other than to f&^% with samba) it's a real dog.

DX10 for XP would make me literally say "I love you Microsoft", which I can not even imagine saying...

Back