2010 Unreal Enginer 3 trailer

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Check it out.

That is one shiny engine. If you wanted to make a machinima, this would likely be the engine of choice.

If you need proof that UT3 was a tech demo rather than a proper retail game, look no further. Yes, the engine can make pretty things, but I still feel like I'm fighting the controls instead of my opponents most of the time.

Quake Live (which is based on another game that was effectively a tech demo masquerading as a retail release, Quake 3) may look dated, but the controls feel as tight as they ever did.

Anyway, yes, the video linked above is rather shiny. I wonder when we'll start to see these engine improvements in retail games?

Saw that video on gametrailers. Yup it's certainly pretty alright but I find it rather depressing. Why? Because unimaginative companies are still chasing the graphics "ooooooh". Occasionally you'll see people make comments about how gameplay matters more (like you Tek) but having a shiny game still seems to be the predominate selling factor nowadays. I want a game engine where everything is destructible, with real physics, where you can dig down twenty feet anywhere, fly from the ground onto another planet, with every light being dynamic not static and with water that behaves like water. I don't care if the game is a little blocky or lacks bloom, give me something I can interact with. Give me freedom to move anything, destroy anything over detailing the grout in the bathroom textures. Give me endless streaming terrain over being shoved down a pretty corridor with load times.

Seriously I doubt most people even look at the textures to the degree I do, most probably run by weeks of work never understanding the effort put into making it. I guess you shouldn't notice if the artwork is doing it's job of drawing you in but the point is I'm not drawn in as soon as I hit an invisible wall XD. Freedom over detail will always draw me in more. I will be glad when graphics technology hits the realism wall and can go no further. Maybe at that point we will see some innovation not just the same game re-released every other year with a new coat of paint.

If game makers put as much work as they do on the pretty games on concepts like Minecraft or the Infinity game engine it could be a golden age :/ .

Last edited:
Give me endless streaming terrain over being shoved down a pretty corridor with load times.
Oo, burn on you, Final Fantasty XIII development team!

Maybe at that point we will see some innovation not just the same game re-released every other year with a new coat of paint.
But people want the same thing every year with a new coat of paint. Look no further than Call of Duty sales numbers for proof.

If game makers put as much work as they do on the pretty games on concepts like Minecraft or the Infinity game engine it could be a golden age :/ .
And some do. But many major studios are under the gun to deliver annual installments in popular franchises (sports games, Call of Duty, and now Assassin's Creed) to make the big dollars.

You'll find unique and original ideas, but chances are very, very slim that you're going to see big names like EA or Activision attached. If you want original, you're probably going to have to delve into the indie scene and check out titles like Recettear, World of Goo, and VVVVVV.

Now as for a decent arena shooter that doesn't run on an engine debuted over a decade ago (yes, I'm talking about Quake Live), well, sorry. Epic was bent on making Gears of Unreal instead of a proper sequel to UT2004 and UT3 is what we got. I've got UT3, I'll play UT3, but UT2004 was a much better package (especially in terms of controls) overall.

/brings out his soapbox too

/gets hungry

/leaves with his soapbox

Wait a second....the unreal 4 engine went into production late 2008.....why are they still buffing the unreal 3 engine?

Check it out.

That is one shiny engine. If you wanted to make a machinima, this would likely be the engine of choice.

If you need proof that UT3 was a tech demo rather than a proper retail game, look no further. Yes, the engine can make pretty things, but I still feel like I'm fighting the controls instead of my opponents most of the time.

Quake Live (which is based on another game that was effectively a tech demo masquerading as a retail release, Quake 3) may look dated, but the controls feel as tight as they ever did.

Anyway, yes, the video linked above is rather shiny. I wonder when we'll start to see these engine improvements in retail games?

I don't understand your complaint about the controls tek. Controls seem SPOT on for me.

I don't understand your complaint about the controls tek. Controls seem SPOT on for me.
/shrug

To each their own. But rockets actually go where I tell them to go in Quake Live, Team Fortress 2, UT2004, etc. etc. Not so in UT3.

Yeah, it's too bad when developers are lazy and give you a gold-plated turd of a game. The whole point of a nice shiny engine like UE3 is so that you can focus on your innovative game concepts without having to take all the time to implement your own rendering and physics and such. Seeing the constant improvement in UE3 is very heartening to me! UT3 is the prettiest arena shooter out there, but I wish some of the later features like Scaleform and ambient occlusion and such were in the game. With a Scaleform UI maybe then all the gold nugget wrapped in a turd references (which I stole and inverted since then to describe EA-style franchises) wouldn't have happened.

Also, the state of PC game development seems awesome to me. There's absolutely no shortage of innovation out there if you want it, despite all the CoD sales.

Epic was bent on making Gears of Unreal instead of a proper sequel to UT2004 and UT3 is what we got.

I for one am so very, very, very glad we got a sequel to UT with some of the new stuff instead of a sequel to UT2004. I so love that projectiles are viable again! They weren't all that useful in UT2004's wide open vistas with dodge jumping that took you miles away in a single bound. The art direction for UT3 is similar to Gears of War, but I don't complain too much there, when it does harken back a little to the grittiness of UT. Honestly, every deviation from UT2004 that made it closer to UT made me very happy. UT2004 was a great game though and deviations from it that suck aren't good however. Some of my gripes are it being tougher to mod, the heavier gravity, and the odd arch on flak that I've now gotten used to. I do wish I knew what was up with your rocket complaint, Tek, because that would drive me crazy if they didn't go where i told them to. UT rockets (every version of the game) go pixel perfect in exact direction you are aiming. That's from experience and checking the source code. There is no deviation, and i love them. It's pretty much the only way I can ever stop Mostly_Harmless, which is why he always runs and picks them up first when he duels me :). Is it maybe some kind of matter of lag when you are playing on our servers and it is behind on your rotation or something?

I couldn't agree more with danny. : )

I love the ark on the flak cannon. It took me a while to get used to it as well, but just think about how it makes the weapon much more unique in that regard. No other UT weapon functions like that. : )

Last edited:
Guess u ain't no Rocket scientist in ut 3 .... lol
I see what you did there.

Yeah, it's too bad when developers are lazy and give you a gold-plated turd of a game.
Wait, I thought you liked UT3?

I kid, I kid 'cause I love.

UT3 is the prettiest arena shooter out there, but I wish some of the later features like Scaleform and ambient occlusion and such were in the game. With a Scaleform UI maybe then all the gold nugget wrapped in a turd references (which I stole and inverted since then to describe EA-style franchises) wouldn't have happened.
I will agree with this.

Also, the state of PC game development seems awesome to me. There's absolutely no shortage of innovation out there if you want it, despite all the CoD sales.
I can agree with this. You might have to search past the marketing static to find strong gameplay, but there are still plenty of great games out there (too many, if my backlog is any indication).

I for one am so very, very, very glad we got a sequel to UT with some of the new stuff instead of a sequel to UT2004.
But UT2004 was awesome! Well, Onslaught was awesome.

And that's where I think we part ways in terms of opinion on UT3: My favorite part of UT2004 was the Onslaught game mode. I don't really even remember much in terms of standard deathmatch because I hardly bothered to play it after discovering Mantas, Raptors, and PANCAKE!s.

If I want awesome vanilla deathmatch, I go to Quake Live. For all the smack I talked about Q3 back in the day (and deservedly so), it's still my favorite arena shooter. UT99 and UT2004 deathmatch were cool, but I prefer the Q3/QL rocket launcher and none of the "hydraulic crab on speed" rot (a.k.a. dodge-jumping) that makes UT deathmatch so irritating.

If I want awesome team-based gameplay with awesome vehicles, I play Onslaught. Or, if I'm willing to sacrifice some of the awesomeness for higher player counts, I play Warfare.

It's all preference. I won't claim otherwise. I just think Q3 is more fun in terms of deathmatch. I'm not as concerned with balance, depth, skill ceilings, and all that.

It all boils down to:
  1. Do I have fun playing this?
  2. Are my friends also playing it?
Unfortunately, I can only answer "yes" to both questions for a very small number of games. I couldn't wait for the popularity of Counter-Strike to wane, but I played it because it was popular among ToJ members and I had fun hanging out with them (even if I didn't care for the game).

I loved (and still love) Team Fortress Classic, Natural Selection, UT2004 Onslaught, and Quake Live, but hardly anyone else in ToJ played or plays them.

Honestly, every deviation from UT2004 that made it closer to UT made me very happy.
And I think most of the players in what remains of the UT3 community agree. I guess that's what the discussion boils down to:

I played UT2004. I loved UT2004. I also played UT99 and I liked it, but not nearly to the extent I enjoyed UT2004. Yes, the adrenaline mechanic was silly and it had other flaws, but the game was still so much fun.

I do wish I knew what was up with your rocket complaint, Tek, because that would drive me crazy if they didn't go where i told them to. UT rockets (every version of the game) go pixel perfect in exact direction you are aiming. That's from experience and checking the source code. There is no deviation, and i love them. It's pretty much the only way I can ever stop Mostly_Harmless, which is why he always runs and picks them up first when he duels me :). Is it maybe some kind of matter of lag when you are playing on our servers and it is behind on your rotation or something?
I don't know the reason, but it really takes a sledgehammer to the possibility of the game being more fun for me. Even discovering and disabling mouse acceleration (by EDITING A .INI FILE, WHY, EPIC?), it feels like I'm fighting the controls and projectiles don't go where I tell them to. I do just fine with a rocket launcher in any other game (come play Quake Live with me some time if you don't believe me), but I might well be playing with boxing gloves on in UT3. I score the occasional cool kill, but most of the time I'm just floundering.

I love the ark on the flak cannon. It took me a while to get used to it as well, but just think about how it makes the weapon much more unique in that regard. No other UT weapon functions like that. : )
Thank goodness.

/grin

But seriously, I feel like I have to make my character bow (push my mouselook view down to an exaggerated extent) before firing the flak cannon to land anywhere near where I'm trying to aim.

In all honesty, I have tried to download and play quake live even before I knew about ToJ. I would def. give it a shot if it would work for me. I had a lot of trouble with it for some reason. I would like to duel you in that just to see if you really are that much better on ql xD Aiming the flak down or up isn't a big deal, it sounds like you need to set your mouse settings higher. The only way you need to (almost) look down at the floor is if the guys literally right next to you, and if someones THAT close you should probablly use primary fire. I do prefer the flak ball to the primary. Usually i like to bounce the guy in the air with the ball and then follow it up w/ a primary fire shot if he survives. Danny knows how much i just love to do that. He's a big sucker for my flak balls : )

In all honesty, I have tried to download and play quake live even before I knew about ToJ. I would def. give it a shot if it would work for me. I had a lot of trouble with it for some reason.
Did you play during the beta? Because they've ironed out a ton of stuff since then.

I would like to duel you in that just to see if you really are that much better on ql xD
Oh, I'm sure you'll still pwn me, but at least I won't feel like I'm fighting the controls.

Aiming the flak down or up isn't a big deal, it sounds like you need to set your mouse settings higher.
They're already a tiny bit too high for my preference. But it may be that the issue isn't aim so much as the bizarre arc on the flak that I just can't get used to.

I'm reinstalling quake live right now. As I said before, I suck at it, but I like arena shooters so I'm more than willing to come play!

I'm reinstalling quake live right now. As I said before, I suck at it, but I like arena shooters so I'm more than willing to come play!
That's what Skill Match is for!

Don't worry. You could probably still beat me in a duel. You're probably not as bad as you think you are and I'm probably not as good as I think I am.

Back