60-minute full game trials

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Since I have PlayStation Plus for 30 days, I figured I'd check out the PS+ perks. I found the 60-minute full game trials section on the PlayStation Store and immediately thought to download a few trials. Then I noticed the download sizes. Hoo boy.

• Assassin's Creed (7.7GB)
  • Assassin's Creed II (6.6GB)
  • Borderlands (3.3GB)
  • Dante's Inferno (8.0GB)
  • EA Sports MMA (6GB)
  • Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 (10GB)
  • God of War HD (5.88GB)
  • God of War II HD (6.52GB)
  • Mass Effect 2 (12GB)
  • Midnight Club Los Angeles (5.1GB)
  • Modnation Racers (9.7GB)
  • PlayStation Move Heroes (11GB)
  • Prince of Persia (5.3GB)
  • Prototype (6.5GB)
  • Pure (4.6GB)
  • Red Faction: Guerrilla (5.8GB)
  • Split/Second (6.3GB)
  • Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (7.6GB)
  • Tomb Raider: Underworld (6GB)
  • Warhawk (835MB)
I have unlimited bandwidth per month and my connection speed is pretty good (18Mbps), but I don't want to waste bandwidth on anything I won't enjoy.

First-person shooters are right out because I can't stand twinsticks as a control scheme for FPS games and I already own ME2 on the PC. Dante's Inferno is, well, Dante's Inferno, so no point wasting bandwidth on it, either.

I'm downloading Assassin's Creed II now since it has a score of 91 on Metacritic and I'll download Warhawk since it's under a gig. I'll probably download Split/Second, too, since the reviews were mostly positive and I'm always on the lookout for a good console racing game.

What other titles of those listed above do you recommend?

EDIT: I don't own a Move controller and probably won't any time soon, so PS Move Heroes is right out, too.

Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 2.

Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 2.
First-person shooters are right out because I can't stand twinsticks as a control scheme for FPS games and I already own ME2 on the PC.
Though I'm sure it's a great recommendation for everyone who doesn't already own the PC version.

Okay, I played the full 60 minutes of the Assassin's Creed II and Warhawk trials.

Assassin's Creed II was good, but the controls for navigating the rooftops felt a little stiff and tended toward "press forward on the left stick and jab the X button to do cool stuff." The open world design was excellent, but when it comes to virtual replicas of cities, I think I prefer Japan over Italy. (It seems I also prefer ex-gangsters to Italian playboys when it comes to main characters.) The trial was enough to inspire me to watch for reviews and sales on the next AC series game, Revelations, but not enough to send me hunting for a bargain on AC2 on Amazon. I could easily understand why people rave about the game, but I prefer a different flavor of open world game. It's more a matter of taste, really.

Warhawk seemed like one of those games that people who've never played Unreal Tournament 2004's Onslaught mode rave about because they don't know any better. (Y'know, kinda like Halo.) It's a solid game in its own right, but it made me sad that there's not a PC version with mouse and keyboard controls. :(

Both great games. Just not for me.

I'm thinking of trying Prince of Persia and Split/Second next.

Back