A few build questions

Waynos

Ok i have 4 spaces to place cooling fans
1-top of case
2-center of see-through side panel
3-upper rear panel/back plate (under power supply)
4-bottom front panel/faceplate

So how many fans should i use?
Which should blow in and which should blow out?

I'd like a decent airflow so no matter what i run
it will run at a reasonable temperature

Here is my parts list; (all parts here are new from tigerdirect)
Motherboard $50 (AM3 socket)
CPU $70 (3.2GHz triple core CPU with Heatsync and fan,AM3 socket)
RAM $44 (8GB Kit-2 slot)
PSU $25 450W Diablotek ATX 24-pin
Vid Card $65 Radeon HD 6750 1GB GDDR3 PCI-Ex16
Case fan $6/each masscool 80mm blue LED case fan (might get 4)
Total = $278

all opinions are welcome and appreciated
GOD bless,
Waynos

Last edited:
I am of the opinionnot hard and fast gots to, that exhaust is better from the back. That way you don't drag air in and send it over warm power supply and hot cards then blow it over the rest of the comp. Also if you exhaust from the top you are working with a natural effect, heat rises, not against it. By default that leaves intake from sides and from the front.

If you are looking for a general configuration, I would say use all 4 fans, 3 intakes and 1 exhaust. I would agree with Ursen the exhaust should be high the best being on top. That is just generally what I consider to be the best setup. Honestly looking at your system, I do not think it will generate enough heat that you would have any heat issues with using this setup, but here is more information if you want it.

If you are placing the system in an inclosed area, like in one of those computer desk cabinets, make sure the exhaust is blowing the air out, so that the heat is not trapped.

Generally the things that are going to generate the most heat are your video cards and your processor(the processor heat sink and fan only move the heat away from the processor, it does not help take the heat out of the system). Normally what I have seen causing the most heat issues, well besides people not cleaning the dust out of their system, is people adding more video cards than their system can handle in the location they have it, so I recommend thinking about your setup if you decide to add another one.

Last make sure your wires are out of the way, if you just clump up and stuff the extra wires in the case it can obstruct the air flow. People usually do this when they are dealing with the wires they are not using from the power supply. The way I usually prevent this is using zip ties to keep them neat and out of the way.

Last edited:
@Waynos, PMs dont seem to be working still.. If you email me your address, I will get that card shipped out to you, I will cover shipping, it wont be that much..

blsimpson AT mykeiki DOT com

Personally, I say use three fans. Two in front for intake, one in the back for exhaust. The fan on the side panel isn't really needed unless yo have a cpu or gpu that is known for being hot and is going to be overclocked. I don't think that is the case fr you. Since you are being given a video card, I would really recommend taking the gpu money and using at least some of it to buy a better 450 watt power supply. I would say if you spend $50 and get one made by corsair, seasonic, rosewill, or cooler master, you should end up with a good power supply. As I mentioned on the other thread, don't skimp on the psu.

@Waynos, PMs dont seem to be working still.. If you email me your address, I will get that card shipped out to you, I will cover shipping, it wont be that much..

blsimpson AT mykeiki DOT com

Ok sending you an email this morning
and thank you again!!!

And thanks everyone for the advice ,
some of you may not know but this forum
and GW1 is a good distraction from smoking for me.
3 weeks smoke free tomorrow all thanks to the mighty GOD I serve
with whom i could do nothing without.
Thank You JESUS
and Thank You LOE
GOD bless,
Waynos

Last edited:
Personally, I say use three fans. Two in front for intake, one in the back for exhaust. The fan on the side panel isn't really needed unless yo have a cpu or gpu that is known for being hot and is going to be overclocked. I don't think that is the case fr you. Since you are being given a video card, I would really recommend taking the gpu money and using at least some of it to buy a better 450 watt power supply. I would say if you spend $50 and get one made by corsair, seasonic, rosewill, or cooler master, you should end up with a good power supply. As I mentioned on the other thread, don't skimp on the psu.

I'm awaiting a guy on Craigslist for a
"Corsair CX500 500W Power supply" for $30
it's new in the box has all the plugs,paperwork etc..
the guy had a slim case and it wouldn't fit
but for $30 it will run anything i'd need for GW2

here is my new Corsair CX500 500W PSU ($30 via Craigslist)
View attachment 1638

Back