A new HA team build idea: Mind Blast Mesmers or Eles

dorkelf

Mind Blast Mesmer Team Description:

Mind Blast mesmers can machine-guns energy-weak opponents to death extremely quickly while using NO energy in the process except to set up the echo. This synergy is the result of the elite Nightfall ele/fire skill Mind Blast, Echoed with Arcane Echo and sped up by Quickening Zephyr and Fast Casting. MB has a cast time of well less than a second and a recharge time of 1 thanks to QZ, and does 51 fire damage per hit. Most importantly, it costs 5 to use the skill but returns 7 energy to the caster (140% the spell’s cost) when targeting a foe with less energy. Even with QZ factored in that’s still a slight net gain of energy! When echoed, MB will do more than 100 fire damage per second for the duration of the echo. After the echo it can still do well more than 51 damage per second. Remember, this is all at a cost of no energy except for the echo vs lower-energy opponents. Support skills for the MB Mesmers are based on draining energy from an enemy while providing self-healing (Ether Feast), interrupt (Leech Sig), etc.

Me/E Mind Blast Mesmers

Attributes: 16 Fast Casting, 12 Fire, Rest in Inspiration Magic

Skills: Arcane Echo, Mind Blast (Target foe is struck for 51 fire damage. If you have more Energy than target foe, you gain 7 Energy), Leech Sig, Sig of Humility, Ether Feast, Ether Phantom, Fire Attunement, Res Sig

Equipment

+energy weapon with +15/-1 mod. +energy insignias and attunement runes for maximum energy.

Support Characters:

1 Rt/R Spirit Spammer or other support character with QZ
2 Monks or a Monk and Warder

Alternate possiblity - Eles might work better than mesmers, less quick on cast time but more potential for having higher energy than opponent and more fire damage with a 16 attribute score. My math sucks so I don't know if casting time poses a problem for this.

Let me know what you think! I'm probably missing something important! :rolleyes:

Paul

Last edited:
What are the possible counters to this build?

I would imagine the skill Diversion would cut the effectiveness of one of the mesmers in half, making it so that the three could only do 250 dps combined as opposed to 300+. Not a huge loss, but something to consider.

Angelic Bond would be a tough build to beat with this. I'm thinking that a Mo/N for one of the slots carrying Vocal Minority might be a good choice.

After researching, E/Me is an OK idea. The math is: do 102 damage every 1.48 seconds with fast casting at 16 and Fire at 12, or 126 damage every 2 seconds with Fire at 16 (assuming a 1 second recast based on QZ). That works out to 68.9 dps for the Me/E or 63 dps for the E/Me. The Me/E does 5.9 more dps times 3 Me/Es, which works out to approx. 18 dps more for a team of three.

My tweak would be to run one E/Me Fire/Earth warder with Ward against Elements and have the Rt/R run Greater Conflagration. Everything would be fire damage, the ward cuts damage in half. We'd be giving up 6 dps, and the Rt's elite spot, but a good bit of the damage against us would be negated.

Yeah Sadly we did not do too well doing this. Kills Ghosts Pretty good but when we faced Actual people I felt we got slaughtered :(. Maybe we can do some more tweeking to it. Keep Posting Ideas. BTW Bill we did most of you you posted last night lol helped cut down damage but we still went down fast.

[toj.cc]WildBillKickoff;206356 said:
After researching, E/Me is an OK idea. The math is: do 102 damage every 1.48 seconds with fast casting at 16 and Fire at 12, or 126 damage every 2 seconds with Fire at 16 (assuming a 1 second recast based on QZ). That works out to 68.9 dps for the Me/E or 63 dps for the E/Me. The Me/E does 5.9 more dps times 3 Me/Es, which works out to approx. 18 dps more for a team of three.

An E/Me can't have fast casting unfortunately, but otherwise your calculations seem about right. My own testing has lead me to believe that the Me/E is definitely the better way to go. I was concerned about the lower overall energy but with a dual +15/-1 setup you'll exceed just about anything except opposing eles. Also I've tweaked the build a bit since I posted this; I now bring meteor shower which is really fantastic coupled with fast casting ability, no need for a glyph of sacrifice so it can be cast every minute.

We haven't yet formed the 6v6 team I wanted to try (Mind Blast mesmers, two ritualist spirit spammers and QZ.) So once HoH becomes 6v6 again (crossing my fingers), I'd like to give that build a shot.

Paul

Sorry for not being more clear-- the E/Me is with nothing in Fastcast, the extra damage is coming from having Fire at 16. I'm assuming a 1 second cast, one second recharge for Ele, and a .46 cast, 1 second recharge for Mes. Point is, Mes gives better DPS, Ele offers more versatility to run another line of spells like Earth or Water (for crowd control).

[toj.cc]WildBillKickoff;207654 said:
Sorry for not being more clear-- the E/Me is with nothing in Fastcast, the extra damage is coming from having Fire at 16. I'm assuming a 1 second cast, one second recharge for Ele, and a .46 cast, 1 second recharge for Mes. Point is, Mes gives better DPS, Ele offers more versatility to run another line of spells like Earth or Water (for crowd control).

Ah yes, now that I re-read it I see what you were saying. I didn't think about the potential for adding another ele-ment with an E/Me, that's a very interesting thought. Water magic in particular might be nice to look at.

Let me go ahead and throw an 8v8 team build for Mind Blast mesmers out there - please discuss this and maybe we can try to run it sometime soon.

Three Me/E with maxed fast-casting, 12 fire magic, inspiration magic for Ether Feast, and one mes brings domination magic hexes. All will have Fire Attunement, Mind Blast, Meteor Shower, Glyph of Lesser Energy, Ether Feast, Res.

Two E/Me with maxed fire, similar to SF ele but with Mind Blast, fire attunement, aura of restoration and maybe some water magic.

Two Rt/Mo (or maybe Mo/Rt) spammers with reversal of fortune and as many spirits as possible. Shelter and Union are essential. +energy armor, half-recharge for communing if possible.

One W/R with QZ and Nature's Renewal. Optimized for QZ environment (adrenaline skills)

Correct, a build that depends on 2 rits would never work in GvG.

Let me say a quick word about exactly what I'm trying to do with this build. I've always thought e-drain had great potential as a HA strategy, but it is usually hard to make e-drain work while also doing enough damage to kill off the enemy. I think this group can e-drain effectively via QZ and various mesmer skills while still spiking for around 500 damage per second. Plus the spike can be quickly switched from one opponent to the next and maintained almost indefinitely if they are sufficiently energy-drained. This can be a winning strategy in my opinion if we can pull off the coordination and energy management of our own group and manage to stay alive while we're spiking. Good spirit drops and use of Reversal of Fortune by the ritualists is essential, as is the timing and placement of the meteor showers (all three mesmers will have this skill).

Paul

Back