A new season of life

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
My wife graduated yesterday (May 10). She has earned her doctorate degree and will begin looking for work in the area tomorrow.

We've moved back to Springfield and will be living in my wife's parents' home until we find jobs and figure out where we'll be living for the next few years.

I also start the job search tomorrow; I'm hoping to find a job that I can enjoy, instead of just trading time for money (like my last several jobs). I'll be looking for jobs with benefits so I can see a doctor and try to find a solution for my recurring back and join pain.

We've been traveling for the last eight months and we've finally "landed" somewhere. I hope to spend time (when I'm not searching for work) plotting out goals for both the Christian Gamers Alliance and Tribe of Judah for the coming year.

It's a new season of life for both my wife and me and we would greatly appreciate your prayers.

First of all I would like to congratulate both you and your wife! Its an amazing feat to pull off a marriage and school! With prayers and faith I sense blessings will continue even though you both had a strenuous time and can't see them yet. I will continue to pray!

Congratulations!!!!

You would not believe it but my wife graduated on the same day (give or take the 10 hour difference between here and there) with her masters degree.

By the way what was your wife's discipline and research topic.

Im really happy for you guys, and I know stuff has been a trial for you consistantly in the last few months but its over now and like Tek said, you start a new chapter n stuff in life. We'll all continue praying both of you.

ps. ember you gotta post more lol, you wield more power here then tek since your his wife

UPDATE: It's my third full day in Springfield and I feel completely lost as to how to look for a job. I've updated my Monster and LinkedIn profiles, but those are geared toward computer tech support jobs. I like computers as a hobby, but I don't want it to be a life-long career. At this point in my life, I need to seriously consider how I'm going to build a career in a field I enjoy and am willing to commit to.

I have (what I think is) an awesome idea for a puzzle game for the DS, Wii, and PC, but I have no programming knowledge. My friend, who does have experience programming, already has a packed schedule.

I think I'd like to work as a reporter for the local newspaper, but I couldn't help but lose some of my enthusiasm for journalism after 2 years away from the field.

Over all this hangs the possibility that my wife won't be able to find work in her field here in Springfield. Her graduate degree wields significantly more earning potential than my Bachelors degree in Communication, so her career takes priority right now.

To throw yet another wrench in the works, I've also been thinking of going back to college to earn my graduate degree. Problem is, I don't know what discipline I would choose. I've thought of pursuing a degree in History or English and trying to find work as a professor after I graduate. All this is moot right now, though, since my wife and I could not afford for me to go back to school until we make at least a major dent in our student loan repayments.

Then there's the matter of finding a non-trendy church hospitable to 20-somethings in the Midwest. Trust me, it's more difficult than it sounds. Springfield might not be as bad as Tulsa when it comes to "jazz hands" churches (that feel more like a concert performance than a worship service and sermon), but it's still close enough to the buckle of the Bible Belt to make things troublesome.

/me breathes into a paper bag

Please pray that I'm able to plot a course for the next month and move forward with it. The immediate future wouldn't be nearly so daunting if I had a clear path to follow.

If you are interested in both education and computer technology, I recommend that you consider an LSTC, TST or other computer support job in the public school system or at a local college or university. LSTCs in the school system where I work install and troubleshoot software, but they also conduct staff development and even proctor tests, so there is an actual teaching element. There are a lot of benefits to working in public education:

1 Pay isn't bad for LSTC and similar jobs
2 For most Elementary, Middle or High schools you get summers off and won't have to work weekends or evenings. Would give you time to do freelance writing!
3 You will get to work with students and impact their ability to access and use information through technology
4 You will make connections in the educational community and have a good addition for your curriculum vitae or resume

I think the downsides are too evident for me to have to mention. ;) I will be more than happy to help you job search and collect information about this field if you decide you're interested. I'll still be praying for your ongoing job search.

Paul

UPDATE: I'm preparing to apply for a position with a local newspaper. I just finished updating my resume and writing a cover letter; I plan to send both before 2 p.m. Central today.

The Springfield job market is much smaller than the Tulsa and St. Louis job markets, so it's difficult enough to find any work. Trying to find work in the field of journalism is even more difficult.

This is the first time in recent memory that I'm applying for a job I genuinely want. Please pray that I am at least able to score an interview.

UPDATE: I applied for the position I mentioned in my last post last Friday and called this (Monday) afternoon to follow up. After speaking with the Managing Editor, I managed to score an interview!

/me dances a jig

The interview isn't scheduled yet, but it'll be either last this week or early next week.

Thanks, guys. :)

I just e-mailed a list of references and am waiting to hear back whether I'll go in for the interview later this week or early next week.

Now I need to figure out where to bring my suit and a dress shirt to have them cleaned.

I pray for both you and your wife to find a place within Gods heart to settle down. I add don't push away from what you see as Jazz, just look for Jesus not a church. Focus on Jesus and he will lead you to what you seek in both job and placement of faith. If you cry its the same as singing a song as in psalms in an untold melody. All in knowing we don't see but we know its all in his time. I feel with your perseverance toward all of us he will bless you beyond our simple imagination. Laus Deo!

UPDATE: The local newspaper has been slow to return my calls, so I still haven't gone in for that interview I was so excited about in my last post. I'm now waiting on a callback to schedule an interview for some time this coming week.

The position is a perfect fit for my journalism and IT experience and the person I spoke with at the newspaper seemed to be impressed with my resume and references. That's the good news.

The bad news is that the job is second shift. This essentially means that once my wife finds employment, we would only see each other (conscious) on the weekends.

:(

I'm still planning to go in for the interview in hopes that I can find some way to get my foot in the door without having to cut quality time with my wife to nearly nothing.

In related news: I've landed another interview at a local company, which will likely be scheduled for Tuesday. It's a tech support position. I'm not excited about it, but it's likely a day shift position and will probably pay fairly well for this area's job market. If I get the job, it'll be another "trading time for money" experience, but at least it'll pay the bills.

Back