All services hosted by Tek down...

Tek7 (Legacy)

CGA & ToJ President
Earlier tonight, there was a power outage in my neighborhood. The power came back on immediately and my primary computer began rebooting. My secondary computer did not turn back on immediately, so I pressed the power button and it proceeded to boot normally. After logging in to Windows on my secondary computer, I started the bots and servers I run from that PC as I always do.

Several minutes later, I noticed an odd smell, like something burning, and turned to notice that my secondary computer had turned off. I pressed the power button again but the computer did not turn on.

Fearing the worst, I unplugged my computer, unscrewed the side panel, and opened the case. I leaned in close and noticed the burning smell coming most strongly from the case power supply. Hoping that the power supply had somehow burned out, I plugged my case back into the wall and turned the case power switch back on. The green LED indicator on the motherboard then turned on.

I am not sure whether this means that the case or motherboard was destroyed, but I know that I can not currently afford to replace either. I will not be purchasing replacements parts in the near future; however, a friend of mine had previously offered me a free replacement PC case, so I will be contacting him about that offer and post when I have more information.

As I mentioned before, this is the computer I use to run all my servers and services for the Christian Gamers Alliance. So, until further notice, the following servers and services are offline:

- Christian Gamers Alliance TeamSpeak Server
- Battle.net US East channel "op cga" bot
- Private FTP server
- Redirect Battle.net chat clients for US West and US East channel "public chat christians"

If you are able and willing to host any of these services, please e-mail me at tek7 AT cgalliance DOT org. Please note that if someone else does not take up hosting the TeamSpeak server and Battle.net US East channel "op cga" bot, we will simply go without.

I also used this computer for chat while playing games or watching anime or movies on my primary computer. Until I replace any defective parts, I will not be available on my secondary instant messaging accounts.

I will be posting more information as it becomes available.

Good news! The problem was the case power supply, not the motherboard, and my friend is going to give me two PC cases. I can use one of these and have my secondary computer up again, likely by tomorrow morning. Keep an eye on this thread for further news.

Okay, good news.

Eltolad, a long-time friend and member of ToJ, was kind enough to give me a spare power supply (and three old computer cases) to get my secondary computer back up and running.

The power supply was taken from an old Compaq Presario, so it doesn't quite fit my case snugly--but it works! I'll be pricing some surge protectors, UPS systems, and cases soon but likely waiting until after I purchase my next car (likely some time in February or March) before doing so.

But, if you're a big fan of the services I run from my secondary computer and would like to donate funds toward a new case and surge protector or UPS, please send Paypal donations to donations@cgalliance.org or e-mail me at tek7 AT cgalliance DOT org for a snail mail address. Of course, if you just want to donate toward our domain name costs and monthly web hosting fee, that would be great, too.

biggrin.gif

^_^ Glad I could help.

I just wanted to try out my new avatar. You like it!?! I know I do. "Use the force, Neo!"

Whew! glad it worked out well.

Hello Eltolad, i've heard of you from Tek. It's nice to know another StarCraft player around
biggrin.gif

*shoos Atown and Flash* Take it to the Starcraft forum, guys.
biggrin.gif
Kidding, I'm kidding. If I was tough on thread hijacking, we would've missed out on some of the coolest threads ever.

Anyway, to pull this thread back on track, I just wanted to let everyone know that I've purchased an APC SurgeArrest Personal for my secondary computer (the same surge protector I bought for my primary) and it will arrive Thursday. This does nothing to avoid power outages, but ensures that I won't have to scramble for a replacement power supply next time lighting strikes. ^_^;;

I have priced a APC BACK-UPS RS 800VA 120V and will likely purchase it or something similar next year after I get my car. I'll start taking donations for the UPS shortly after the first of the year since I use this machine primarily to host servers and services for CGA. I won't wait for any set amount of donations, but rather just take whatever donations come in before I order the UPS, apply those funds toward the cost, and stop taking donations for that equipment.

Back