Anyone Else Considering a Game Purchase Embargo?

Kendrik

Staff member
So... I've got this massive backlog of games. Massive... and full of amazing games; some of these games I haven't even played yet.

Still, I buy more games. My ADD, my collector's tendencies, my bargain hunting mentality... they all stack up, and I buy more games (at great prices) without ever taking the time to play the ones I already have.

Surely this is not a great way to go about my gaming ways.

In order to go through my backlog, and save a bit of money in the process, I think I'm going to impose a new game embargo on myself for the coming year. Almost every rule has its exceptions, and this one would be no different, but I think it's a good goal for me to be shooting for.

Anyone else thinking about doing the same?

Most definitely.

An embargo will be made much easier by the fact that I received a $20 PSN gift card as an early Christmas present. Gifts, of course, are not blocked by the embargo.

I do follow and wait for sales but I make a point to ignore the "but it's so cheap" voice in my head for a moment. My perspective is "cheap stuff I'm not interested in" is still "stuff I'm not interested in". If I wasn't interested at all when a game came out it being cheap should not change that. Even if someone gives you a pile of garbage free it doesn't make it any less a pile of garbage and now you have the hassle of dealing with it. To rephrase ignore the price for a moment and ask yourself, even if the game is good, would you rather be spending your time on a potential purchase or what you already have. More often than not my answer is I'd rather be doing something with what I already have than playing a new game (like back stabbing people on TF2 :D ).

IDK maybe it's easy because I can tell most games are the same old thing regurgitated with new graphics that makes them less appealing.

Note: ...and when you say embargo all I think of is this (FYI one D-word in that clip) XD :p .

Last edited:
The problem for me is that I love so many different kinds of games... and I see good deals on games I actually want... all the time. It's maddening... and thus I think a hard and fast rule will be beneficial for me to stick to. :p

@Gerbil: I like that you're using that YouTube link trick. It's a pretty sweet one. lol

@Tek: Of course gifts don't count. :p

The problem for me is that I love so many different kinds of games... and I see good deals on games I actually want... all the time. It's maddening... and thus I think a hard and fast rule will be beneficial for me to stick to. :p

If it's what you have to do for it :) . I guess what makes it easy for me is I'm just tired of having so many new ideas for game play (and morally sound games), seeing the errors developers make and settling for what they churn out :( .

@Gerbil: I like that you're using that YouTube link trick. It's a pretty sweet one. lol

A nice guy figured that out for me :) . Merry Christmas Kendrik.

Last edited:
Back