Anyone here play The Elder Scrolls:Morrowind?

D

Destroyer2000

Does anyone play it? I mean, I like it and I enjoy it, but it has magic in it, because it's an open RPG. The possibilities of things to do are almost endless. I wouldn't want to quit playing it...but for the Lord...is it okay to play games like that so long as you know they aren't real. Alot of other Christians I've met say they wouldn't let anything like that stop them unless it was really, really bad like GTA: VC. It has magic, and that includes summoning creatures to fight for you, and summoning weapons from a different dimension called 'Oblivion' and such. But it's quite fun. I don't focus all on that much. I like finding really cool buildings and making a home there and decorating and such. I've got a new file I made to be the best one I can have. I'm going to join all the guilds, get all the nice and unique items and such. Any opinions?

I know this seems very wierd for me to be giving you advice, since I am usually the one in need of it, but I'll do my best.

This is kind of a tough question to answer, as many people have many different opinions.  Some would say it's harmless, while others would be completely opposed to it.  I, for one, say that it is probably OK, but it depends on the person.  What may be fine for some, may cause others to stumble.  Magic is real, as well as powerful, destructive, and demonic.  It is important to remember that.  Some people may be deceived into thinking that magic is good, and decide to start using it in real life.  That's why so many Christian parents have problems with Harry Potter.  Different people are effected by different things in different ways.  Does it feel okay to you?  Do you think that God wants you to play it?  I guess you could try to play the game without using the spells and summons.  One thing about the game is that it is open-ended.  It is up to you how you want to play it.  However, my best advice is always to pray.  Ask, and God will always answer.

I'm not very good with words, nor am I very wise, but I hope that I could be of some help, and that I didn't confuse you too much.

Thanks. I remember somewhere in the Bible, Paul preaches about stuff like this...how he says that it's okay, but it's not okay if it causes others to stumble around you, or something to that effect. It's in Corinthians.

Many say that it depends on your relationship with God. Personally, I don't really mind playing, because I know that magic is wrong, and I won't start doing it. I'm completely opposed to Harry Potter, but this doesn't really make me feel weird playing it.

WElcome Destroyer to cga. and also i struggled with this myself. however i was always a melee fighter and so magic never really botherd me. and the best advice i can give u now is a qeustion: does this interfer with ur personal relationship with Jesus Christ our Lord and Savoiur. thats wat i always ask myself when [playing anygame

The question boils down to, at least for me, is whether you are using arcane, evil, etc, type of stuff in the game for no good reason at all, as in for a cause that is not godly, or is it like how diablo and such games are where you are fighting against evil, and the use of magic is optional and can be avoided. Only the latter type of rpg's and rps's would I play, with W3: TFT being the farthest into this grey area that I would play. But then again, consider what Paul wrote to the Corithians about regarding eating meat that was sacrificed to an idol. Is it sinful or wrong? No, its just meat, and since the idol is false, nothing was really done to it, but it would be sinful for the person that has a troubled conscience about doing so or for the person who knows that a friend of theirs would ahve a similar conscience problem with it. Now apply this to video games. After all, it is just a game, and if you have no problem whtsoever with that fact, and you recognize that everything in the game is merely that, a game, then go ahead and play it, but if you do have any problem or doubt about the "magic" in the game, it is after all only digital stuff, then I would advise to stay away from it. Sorry if this is vague, but read 1 Corinthians 8 and apply it to this situation and decide form there.

Welcome Destroyer2000 I have done reviews on the whole Elderscrolls III series. Which of course means I played through them all. There are some seedy parts like drugs, dance bars and relgious cults but no satanic symbols which is cool. I try to avoid magic use as much as possible but I did join the mages guild. The open door spells are very handy. I was in the fighters guild and theives guild too. Keep in mind that your character is as good as you make them. Yes there is violence and stealing but it can often be avoided. (except for creatures attacking you) Hope this helps. The best weapons are in the expansion packs.

Thanks. Do any of you have AIM? When I play, I'm currently working on a 'perfect' character. Completing all the quests, and getting near every item that I can. I'm going to find me a nice place to live, and decorate it, and I want to collect every possible thing in the game. I do use magic in there, like 'mark' and 'recall' which allows you to warp instantly, as do 'almsivi intervention' and 'divine intervention'. But overall, my character is a Warrior. I just use those for convinience. I'm going to join all the guilds possible (Theives, Fighters, Mages, Morag Tong, Imperial Legion), but I'm questioning whether to join the Imperial Cult and the Temple. They're both just in game stuff, and I realize that none of it is real, but they are based on the religions in the game. I'm just joining stuff to have a perfect character and to have fun. I WON'T kill unless I absolutely have to, I'll persuade at all times possible. Since there really is no defined good or evil in this game, I'm going to try to be good. At the end of the Theives Guild quests, you do some called the "Bal Molagmar" quests, which is like Robin Hood. The Commona Tong, which is like the Mafia, is bad, and I plan to eliminate that, because they make the people pay them for 'protection'.

I realize nothing in this game is real, and that magic is evil. My character won't do needless slaughter like some people do, and Dagoth Ur is evil...from the hero's point of view.

I really enjoy this game, and would hate to stop playing it, but I won't go to Hell over a videogame. What do you think?

I have AIM my handle is gwenavirre, regarding game is not a matter of the game content but the individual. If you feel bad playing a game then you probably shouldn't. I personally don't mind violence and disable blood and swearing whenever possible. I do draw the line at occult references and symbols. A tougher rule would be would you let your kid play it? if not why are you? but I have yet to abide by that rule...

i would pass on the occult stuff. for me i just did stuff for the fighters and whatnot. im working on tribunal but i havent had much time since i got dsloa.

Alright. I'm joining all the guilds except for the Tribunal temple and the Imperial cult. I'm not going to join them. I'm in the Mages Guild though. I'm just doing the quests, and after all, it's just a game. I think of it as 1 Corinthians Chp 8.

ive kinda got addicted to rpgs recently. how is this game overall? looks like its good, but hows it compare to other rpg's such as KoTOR, deus ex, diablo, dungeon sige and such, just want to know before I spend the 20 bucks on the collectors edition with all the expansions included. ive read a few reviews, both good and bad, but all games have those, just wondering if the game is worth its money.

Graphics are amazing compared to all the games u listed tek. biggest storyline in all the games ive ever played since its nearly infinite with over 450 quests and u dont even have to do the main storyline. cultish stuff is pretty heavy though but its all optional.

Alrite, kewl, mite get that instead of the war of the ring. the occultic stuff does not bother me like it does some, cuz to me it has no significance since it is represantive of false concepts and beliefs, and therefore it doesnt bother me like it does some, hence why I have no problem, mostly. playing things like diablo. Ive read some stuff about morrowind, and its looked like a good game so far, I just usually like to get other peoples opinions on the games quality before I go and buy it.

DONT GET WAR OF THE RING!!!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
ITS PURE EVIL!!!. the graphics bite, the story bites, the gameplay bites. ITS THE WORST GAME IVE PLAYED!

Lol, it was either me or my younger bro who was going to buy and get first play rights, ill let him get it then, lol. ill get rtcw, wish they sold the mp part separately, im a big et fan and want the original, and the originall warcraft, one of my distributers has a few copies left in stock form the re-release of it a few years back and are selling it dirt cheap, lol, but morrowind will complement my purchases nicely.

Could the people who advised avoiding magical elements in Morrowind explain why it is they hold this view?

Dr. Tek
Morrowind is unlike most other RPGs. It's nothing like SWKotOR, Diablo or Dungeon Siege; you may see that as a good or bad thing. The world is large, beautiful and fun to explore, though NPCs and their dialog options are repetitive and dull. As you are no doubt aware, you can do pretty much anything you want. Nearly all of the quests involve the same thing; retrieving an item, clearing out an ancestoral tomb/similar, killing something/someone or altering an NPC's disposition towards a certain group. Quests relating to the main story are a bit more interesting. Morrowind has very little plot, but a decent story. Some people love it, others hate it. IMO it's well worth the $20 you could get the GotY edition for.

Oh, and you may find it has a bit of an 'enjoyment curve.' I made several characters with which I played the first town before I found one I liked and played the rest of the game. Of course, it might just be me.
wink.gif

Yet another reason to get it, it differs from others. I hate when I buy a game that is just yet another clone of some other game I like, for example, the MoH series, the first 2, MoH on the ps1 and MoH:AA on pc, are teh only 2 good ones, and the rest, the expansion packs, call of duty, and other similar games, altho in themselves may be good, they are just more of the same. thx to all for the input on the game.

as for the question about magic, would I use, if I was bored enough, I have no problem with it, afterall it is just a game, and the stuff isn't real, just using it in game is rather boring, and hand-to-hand combat is what I perfer, even over ranged combat in games not using decent guns, it makes the game a little harde imo then standing back and shooting arrows or hurling fireballs or what not at your enemies, lol

Back