Baptism

Vanaze

I have my views on it, and I personally believe that it is not a requirement, simply a step forward in your faith after you HAVE recieved eternal salvation from our Lord.

This also could roll over into the "once saved always saved" debate...

I also believe that salvation is for good after you have truly been saved. "One God, one Faith, one baptism."

Vanaze

Jesus is the only requirement, baptism is an act of obedience and a public profession of your faith

There are, of course, those traditions that believe baptism is the time where you receive the Holy Spirit, such as the apostolic church shows. This becomes for them a sacrament necessary for salvation (I'm thinking here the Council of Trent). Then again, as mentioned there are those who take it only as a profession of faith (e.g., the Anabaptists).

I'd be interested to see if this devolves into an infant baptism debate.

in the great commission (mathew 28:16-end) God tells the desciples to go and make more desciples of all nations. He tells them to baptize them and teaching them to obey God's teachings. He doesn't tell them to get them to say the sinners prayer. Doesn't it seem odd that today we have alter calls in church, and simply ask people to recite some prayer in thier head?
Also what about mark 16:16? It says "whoever believes and is baptized will be saved"

I'd also like to point you into the direction of the thief who hung on the cross next to Christ. Do you think he had time to be baptized? No. Yet Christ Himself said the thief would be in paradise with him.

Vanaze

I've had this debate a few times with some friends, Vanaze, and that is the first time I've ever heard of that idea ('bout the thief). Thanks a lot, that is an awesome example!

Jesus commanded it, and according to God's Word, in Acts 2:38, Romans 6:3-8, and 1st Peter 3:21, it is then, when you are baptized as a believer, that your sins are washed away and you are filled with the Holy Spirit.  You are saved by faith, but by that faith you would get baptized, just as you would repent from your sins.  Dont agree with me, then go read it for yourself in the Bible.  I used to believe otherwise on this subject, that was until I stopped letting various denominations indoctrinate me and I actually went to God's Word for the truth.

ADDED:

About the theif. Considering that things changed after Christ's death, when the Law was no longer the means of salvation, and since Christ pretty much gave him his salvation when he expressed his belief in Him, so trying to determine something before Christ's death by what was new after is rather ignorant if you claim to believe EVERYTHING the Bible says.

I turn the tables on what I said earlier in hopes of having you view it from both sides, then trying to answer.

Why is it that John the Baptist baptized, then? He himself knew it was of faith, not of neccessity that you were baptized. Why else would Christ have been baptized? Did He need saving? No. He did it as an example of faith to God, in hopes that His followers would do the same, professing their faith publicly before their fellow man.

Van

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'd also like to point you into the direction of the thief who hung on the cross next to Christ.  Do you think he had time to be baptized?  No.  Yet Christ Himself said the thief would be in paradise with him.

nice argument, never thought of that. However, Baptism symbolizes the death of our old self with Christ. Maybe the thief literally dieng with Christ took the place of a symbolic death? I'm not trying to speak as if I"m an expert or something....

Christ was "baptized" in fulfilment of prophecy. He did not need it, since he was sinless, but He commanded that people be baptized after they believe for the washing away of sins and to be filled with the Holy Spirit. Again, the whol before and after thing. Before Christ's death, the old covenant of the old testament was still in effect, but his death was the end of the old and the beginning of the new, as is symbolized by the tearing of the temple curtain to the Holy of Holies.

well if Jesus did it, dont you think it would be a good idea, that if you can you do it too......
rock.gif

First of all every time baptizem is talked about in the NT it is a full body emersion, and usually comes after hearing of the word, and the accepting of the message.

Is it require for salvation i would say yes, but ifyou want to toss in all these IF then situtations, well then Be God and tell me the real answer, if you can, you should, if you die entoute ot being baptized are you not saved, thats up to God, not me. as far as once saved always saved there are passages for both, but over all the Bible does say, watch out and dont fall away.

So, if a person is in the desert, and they just so happen to have a little Bible tract that someone gave them years ago, and in their dying breaths while looking through their wallet at family photos, and it falls out.......If they read the salvation plan and accept Christ, they're going to hell?

that is a what if, and i told you, you can play God, but i will leave that to you, since you want to play God and all with your what if's, most people who come to Christ do and have the chance for baptizem.

Why the animosity, Lion?

I'm only "what if"ing because conjecture keeps the mind sharp. ::pokes Lion:: Don't be such a prude ;)

Van

Oh, and that idea of someone being unable to be baptized, in a different context, has happened before, and I can attest for it first hand.

Some poor old feller on his deathbed, my pastor and I went and visited him, and he accepted Christ, then died later that night.

I have no problem thinking the Lord let him into the Kingdom.

Van

well to me it boils down is your salvation dependent upon a work?

For that is what baptism is.  It's a work. You can't say 'We're saved by faith' and then in the next breath say 'oh yeah, you gotta do this work before you're considered saved'

Back