Best free arena first-person shooter?

Classic Nexuiz was last updated in October 2009 and OpenArena's last two updates were in October 2008 and February 2010.

I think Warsow and Xonotic are the two best free and open source arena shooters of those listed, with Warsow more likely to please the UT fans and Xonotic more likely to please the Quake fans. I've always preferred Quake over UT when it comes to deathmatch, so my vote's for Xonotic.

Some day when we have a super-duper dedicated box to run as many game servers as we'd like, we could run both a Warsow and a Xonotic server and the people can choose (or play both).

For now, I'll probably turn on my Xonotic server (hosted on my elderly but functional desktop) if and when people want to play a few rounds of deathmatch with me.

So I'm guessing Fortress Forever isn't considered arena either?
Nope. We already have TF2. FF is a great mod, but there's too much crossover between it and TF2.

EDIT: And I guess I don't think of FF as an "arena" FPS since it's class-based. When I think of arena, I think of gametypes like deathmatch, team deathmatch, capture the flag, and instagib (though I'm not a fan of instagib).

Last edited:
I got a pretty decent desktop i dont use much and im willing to host some servers. I run a terraria and minecraft server on it.

Its a couple years old but it should be able to run a server on it pretty well.

I got a pretty decent desktop i dont use much and im willing to host some servers. I run a terraria and minecraft server on it.

Its a couple years old but it should be able to run a server on it pretty well.
I'll definitely keep it mind.

Maybe I can run a Xonotic server and you could run a Warsow server?

Yeah sure. Shouldn't be no problem. Ill just have to get software.
Actually, it's looking like my desktop isn't up to the task of running a Xonotic server and uTorrent at the same time. Might I ask you to run a Xonotic server instead? I'm not sure there's any interest in Warsow among ToJ members at all...

Ill have to get looking through he xonotic software and figure out the server part of it.
Fortunately, it's very simple to run a server:
  1. Download Xonotic.
  2. Extract to directory of choice (e.g. C:\Program Files\ for Windows).
  3. Copy server_linux.sh (Linux) or server_windows.bat (Windows) and server.cfg from the /server folder to the root Xonotic folder.
  4. Edit server.cfg to your liking.
  5. Run the relevant executable.

Ohh this is the original one, I guess I was thinking T3-Vengence. Anyways, would be fun, very old school.

Give me a few days and it will be running. More realistically Friday night or saturday night it should be good.

Give me a few days and it will be running. More realistically Friday night or saturday night it should be good.
Roger that.

Let me know if you need any help with setup or server testing.

Ok i got everything setup and server seems to run good. We need to get together and test it and see how well it can handle it with multiple people. Worked fine from me logging in on my laptop and trying it myself.

I need to figure out how to add bots but then remove bots if someone else joins in to take their spot.

Ok i got everything setup and server seems to run good. We need to get together and test it and see how well it can handle it with multiple people. Worked fine from me logging in on my laptop and trying it myself.
Most excellent.

Message me any time you see me on Steam or send me a PM with the IP address and I'll give it a try as soon as possible.

Back