Bioshock?

rustom

Tribe of Judah Dota2 Chapter Leader
Sorry to be a slowpoke it's just that I don't really buy games often. There's a deal on steam for bioshock 1,2, and infinite for about 10 pounds but not sure if I should get it. Has anyone played through the series and recommend (or not) the games?

Thanks!

I rusty on my conversion rates.

That's about $20 USD, right?

BioShock 1 was excellent for its time, but BioShock Infinite, IMO, struggles under its own weight and embarrassingly uninformed view of Christianity (even if Christianity is used by the writers as nothing more than window dressing for the threats of blind religion and hypernationalism).

I haven't played BS2 because I could never get a straight answer on whether it has SecuROM packed in or not.

BS1 was slow to start (and restart; the beginning isn't very forgiving if you're like me and tend to not conserve ammo very well), but had what I thought was a really interesting take on unchecked humanism. The gameplay was pretty cool, too.

I only played the demo of the first game which seemed ok but I predicted the rest of the plot so I lost interest. I took the game as "without God you end up as a bunch of crazies at the bottom of the sea". However another Christian I know said it had some unsettling quests in it later on. Infinite is another matter however. Not having played it I cannot say definitively but from articles I've read it is as Tek said. You must be baptized to gain access to the city at the beginning of the game and it seems to represent a zealous, cultist view of Christianity. Bioshock's art looks nice but then I like the 1940s.

Last edited:
I took the game as "without God you end up as a bunch of crazies at the bottom of the sea".
Best summary of BioShock ever.

And I think that's why I enjoyed the game as much as I did. Even if it wasn't the creators' intent, the game seemed to communicate that without absolutes, man succumbs to his own wicked nature, regardless of what intentions and resources we may start with. BioShock was, at its core, a tragedy and a cautionary tale and I enjoyed that aspect of the game.

BioShock Infinite, on the other hand, felt like it couldn't decide what it wanted to be, so it never did any one thing truly well.

It also rang a little hollow when a studio that developed a game that depended heavily on the guilt of an absentee father very likely pushed its employees to work 80-hour weeks during crunch.

I would say if the sale is still on this would be an outstanding purchase. The games and story lines are outstanding.

You should be made away of some very graphic violence. Also it deals with genetic mutation of humans by other humans. If either of these make you unsettled by pass the game.

There is a slight negative view of religion in the last game. However, it is more about religion and less about God.

Back