Blizzard nerfs Rhys (specifically)

Neirai the Forgiven

Christian Guilds List Manager
and quote, from Blue post:

Blizzard said:
Berserker Stance bonus changed from AP to Strength

* 1) We want Rhys to wear plate. We balance around Rhys wearing plate.
* 2) Because of the way certain of Rhys's mechanics work, leather is attractive.
* 3) One of these mechanics is AP being overvalued compared to Strength.
* 4) This change was to try to shift more value back to Strength.
* 5) Rhys is balanced around wearing plate. When Rhys wears leather and does too much damage, then he ends up getting nerfed. But really this is a symptom of #3, not anything Rhys is doing wrong.
* 6) If you wear plate and don't do enough damage, we'll buff you.
* 7) We realize this change lets Arms off the hook... for the moment.
* 8 ) We like both the logic and gameplay of classes being able to wear armor besides "theirs." It's nice if a paladin uses healing cloth that is an upgrade for them and might otherwise be sharded. It's nice if a warrior can use a rogue item if they have nothing better. But honestly, sometimes we are pretty close to just restricting classes to "their" armor and not "their" armor plus all "lesser" armors.
* 9) I know you might drool over stats on another character. But that's not the way we balance. If we gave you plate with Spirit and Stamina on it, we would change warrior mechanics to make those numbers useful. You may say "If I wear the gear I am supposed to wear, I'll be terrible." We say "If you wear the gear your'e supposed to wear, you'll be balanced." We made a similar change to Feral druids lately, because they stacked AP at the expense of everything else. It was too good a stat and led them to make choices based solely on what gear maximized their AP. Sound familiar?
* 10) If you think your damage is low, bring that up in these forums. But say "Our damage is low." Don't say "We need leather."

[...] There is a good chance we may change the Improved Berserker Stance effect from 15% Strength to 20% Strength to make up for all the AP that gets thrown around in buffs, enchants and consumables. There are also more rings etc. in Ulduar with Strength, and more leather with Agi instead of AP.

Adding 2 more ranks to Armored to the Teeth is also possible, but that would probably be too big a change for 3.1. We want plate to be the best in slot for warriors, not leather.

Edit: the proposed 20% str bonus has gone forward.

Last edited:
I think Sean also feels that the Pally has more to offer the raid in terms of buffs as well as dps.

Fury warriors also have serious aggro issues right now, as I understand it.

[7F]LarryBoy;333648 said:
Nah, Sean only died like 27x in Naxx on Monday. What's 500G in repair bills amongst friends? :p

[7F]LarryBoy;333648 said:

Partly this is because of stacking leather gear, getting over-blown damage/item level, outpacing their tanks, and getting massive crit chances, which means that if they crit three times in a row, they're so much red stuff on the floor.

And critting 3 times in a row becomes quite possible (about 4% of the time.)

All the hunters in the crowd ... well all the BM hunters in the crowd are happy to share in the DPS nerf misery. Come and hang with our pity party. We are handing out free pet food, all you can eat.

I've been trying to toss Blessing of Sanctuary on Rhys when I remember to help with threat... Every now and then I actually remember. Most of the time I just let him tank whatever he pulls and go from there...

I heard a rumor Rhys got beat in dps in 25 man naxx by a shadow priest....may be just a rumor though. NERF SP's! oh wait...

Back