Bringing PureFun Radio Online

SirThom

While I was planning PureFun a couple months ago, one of the larger ideas I had was for an Internet radio station where we could play non-stop family-friendly music. I had thought, however, that this would be a difficult thing to do. Licensing fees to broadcast music usually cost thousands of dollars a year, CD quality audio at 50 listeners is easily over $50/month -- it didn't seem like the best thing for us.

Then, I contacted my web host, just to see what his rates were on a streaming radio server. He offered me a streaming server where I could broadcast the quality I want at a virtually unlimited capacity of listeners. Then he rattled off the price to run such a thing: $0.00. I was ecstatic! I immediately researched the licensing situation. After a little digging, I found an agency that will bring webcast licensing fees from thousands of dollars every year down to $19.38 per month. At this point, I was sold on my seemingly impossible idea.

So, today I am announcing that a PureFun internet radio station is on the way. We'll have a dedicated page on our site to display the current song information (with a link to it on PureFun, if available), the most recent songs that played, and stream info.

My goal is to bring the station online in mid-February/early-March, but I cannot legally do that until PureFun is licensed. This is where you come in: for one full month of operation, we need to raise $19.38. As soon as I have $19.38 ready for action, the station will be put online. But this also means that I'll be relying on you to help fund the licensing costs. With that in mind, check our new Donate page for live information on this month's status.

Remember: just 10 people donating $2 will keep the station online for a full month.

Thank you in advance for your donation, and I hope to bring you non-stop family-friendly music very soon!

~ Tom McGuire

PS. Placing an advertisement will help us out as well!

I'm really looking forward to this and I'd love to help. I'll try to get my half-baked Paypal account up and running and send you some BLINGZ!

I have a few internal things to sort through and then we will bring PureFun Radio online. Here's what I need to do:

~ Replace the power supply in the server. It's really loud, and since it's in my dad's office I want to keep the noise down if possible. (I actually have a replacement supply ready to install, it's just a matter of me actually doing it.)
~ Load some music. I ripped some of my CDs and put them on the server, but they're not all there yet.
~ Get licensed. I have some seed money ready to buy the first month of licensing for the stream.
~ Finish up some things on the PureFun website. I can't go into detail here, but I have something really cool to put on the website once the stream goes live.

So the tentative launch date for PureFun Radio will be April 2nd, 2007. In the mean time, keep contributing and spread the word!

I have a few internal things to sort through and then we will bring PureFun Radio online. Here's what I need to do:

~ Replace the power supply in the server. It's really loud, and since it's in my dad's office I want to keep the noise down if possible. (I actually have a replacement supply ready to install, it's just a matter of me actually doing it.)
~ Load some music. I ripped some of my CDs and put them on the server, but they're not all there yet.
~ Get licensed. I have some seed money ready to buy the first month of licensing for the stream.
~ Finish up some things on the PureFun website. I can't go into detail here, but I have something really cool to put on the website once the stream goes live.

So the tentative launch date for PureFun Radio will be April 2nd, 2007. In the mean time, keep contributing and spread the word!

It would be the day I start school and won't be able to listen... >.< (college)

Load some music.

I'd be willing to help you out there. I've got a decent number of Christian rock CDs, along with some softer stuff and some rap. If you're going to have multiple channels, it'd be sweet to allow users to contribute (assuming they were trusted users, like me :D)

it'd be sweet to allow users to contribute

Yes, I'm quoting myself.

And I just realized how uber sweet of an idea that is. What are the legal restrictions on all of us contributing our CDs into one large radio player thing? From what I know, it'd be legal. You aren't stealing the music or allowing it to be streamed. I think it'd be AWESOME. Heck, it's such a sweet idea I'm copyrighting it right now...

© By TJGuitarZ in 2007

:D

You aren't allowed by copyright law to copy your cd's and give them to somebody for public broadcasting. The broadcaster has to purchase or otherwise obtain the music legally themselves.

The broadcaster has to purchase or otherwise obtain the music legally themselves.

Why couldn't you have more than 1 broadcaster? In theory, isn't everyone that contributes monetarily an owner?

Also, couldn't we make this private broadcasting by requiring a login name? What are the legal differences between public and private broadcasting?

Note: I just wrote a longer post, and then I came back to this tab and it was gone. So this is an abbreviated version of what I was trying to say:

Also, couldn't we make this private broadcasting by requiring a login name?
We could, I suppose. But requiring a login for a radio station is something I've not seen before (and also something I probably don't want to do).

HCS is correct about the music thing. To legally play music to the public, I need to have the real CD in my possession. I can't download loads of albums from Mininova and then play them on the station.

But as for contributing music, there are a few legal alternatives you may consider:

1. Sending me your CDs. I'm willing to accept CDs that you send to me for airplay. If you want them back at some point, I'll send them back, but then I can't play them any longer.
2. Donating. If you specifically want me to buy CDs for the station, you can make a donation directly to that fund.
3. Making a "gift" purchase on Amazon. I'm going to work on a Wish List for PureFun where people can look at the CDs I want to play, and then they buy them to have them sent to me. Then they bill the donor and send the order to me, without either party seeing any personal information about the other. Pretty sweet idea, and one that I'll definitely be looking into for the near future.

I can't download loads of albums from Mininova and then play them on the station.

I haven't heard of Mininova. Is it the same as Limewire?

It sounds to me like having a private radio would be the most "musicness" option. Would it be difficult to make the radio turn on ONLY once someone has signed in? Would we be able to load our CDs onto the server?

:confused: Am I just confusing myself? :confused:

I haven't heard of Mininova. Is it the same as Limewire?
If you mean "a service used to download music illegally", yes. :p

It sounds to me like having a private radio would be the most "musicness" option. Would it be difficult to make the radio turn on ONLY once someone has signed in? Would we be able to load our CDs onto the server?
Yes, it would be difficult. And yes, only if you sent them to me. But here's an easier solution:

I put our PureFun Radio Amazon.com Wishlist online. Check it out here:

http://amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/18RAVOV30X3PJ

Notice that a majority of the CDs on the list are available used for $4 or under. Feel free to buy it used -- as long as it works, I'm happy!

I'll be writing up a page for the PureFun website detailing the whole process, so if you have any questions, go ahead and post them here. =)

Alright, after I earn some $$ I'll see what I can do to buy CDs....

Are you planning on being commercial free? Or are you willing to have commercials for Christian Business, Guilds, Clans and such? (Ala Way FM?)

Also, are you planning on trying to have people volunteer to be Djs?

Alright, after I earn some $$ I'll see what I can do to buy CDs....
Thanks in advance!

Are you planning on being commercial free? Or are you willing to have commercials for Christian Business, Guilds, Clans and such? (Ala Way FM?)
That's unknown at the moment. Right now our setup is pretty simple (essentially Winamp running on Shuffle mode, lol) so incorporating commercials to play however many times a day, etc. would be easier said than done. Once we grow a bit more, it'll be easier for us to

Also, are you planning on trying to have people volunteer to be Djs?
It's a possibility, but not one we'll be launching from the get-go. One thing I know we /can/ do is have certain music be played at a specific time, but as I stated previously, our setup isn't that complex yet.

Also, a note on our tentative date of April 2nd. This may be pushed back yet again, but time will tell. Please do note get the idea that this project is unimportant to me, as it is most certainly not. It's just a matter of how things fall into place on my end. Believe me -- as soon as I can get our stream online, I will do it!

isn't everyone that contributes monetarily an owner?

no. This is a private enterprise not a public one. If you donate to a private enterprise you are granted no ownership or shareholder rights because you donated. Only if thom took the company public and sold shares would you have any shareholder's or ownership rights.

Ah, it's a station... maybe a special kind of radio? Hum...
*lol*

There's no hidden meaning behind my statement... I just meant that once PureFun Radio is online, you will know what ShoutJax is.

Back