Changes for Console and Handheld Gaming Forums

Kendrik

Staff member
Hello, Tribe of Judah members.

I'm writing today to share with you some changes taking place for our console gaming chapters. I'll do my best to keep my long-winded nature in check for your convenience as I let you in on the key details of what's happening.

First, effective imminently, our console gaming chapters will cease to be formal chapters. Console gaming discussion forums will remain in place, but the formality will be dropped.

We're doing this for a couple of reasons. In brief, the core factor is that nature of console gaming and the nature of a ToJ chapter do not blend well. Our chapters typically revolve around a single game that every chapter member owns and plays regularly. In a chapter based on a gaming console, with a wide variety of games owned by its members (without a definitive chapter favorite), the idea of bringing gamers together for regular events doesn't work so well. As it stands, these chapter forums have become more like console-focused social forums than anything else.

Sadly, our console chapters have also had long streaks without leaders. Chapter leadership is a bit of responsibility, so nobody has been terribly surprised that chapter members haven't lined up to assume leadership. The unfortunate thing is that some of these chapter forums have suffered even as social forums due to a lack of leaders (with nobody able to keep the who's who threads updated, for example).

In deciding to close chapter doors while leaving console forums in place, we think that our overall goal of bringing Christian gamers together will remain in full effect. That said, we'll still be looking for members willing to step up and help maintain the forums as moderators (keeping the who's who threads up to date, taking care of occasional spammers/trolls, and other basic tasks), but the other duties most chapter leaders have will not apply here. If you feel up to the task and want to help us in this way, be sure to let us know.

As far as these changes and their impact on you are concerned, you have little to worry about. You'll still be able to talk about your favorite console games, expand your friends list, and arrange times to play with others. In fact, I think it's safe to say that we'd love nothing more than to see you all having regular game sessions without needing a chapter leader to organize them. I know I'm always excited for a chance to play with other Tribes of Judah members.

Additionally, where applicable, our console forums will be more explicitly expanded to include handheld gaming. This means that DS and PSP owners will have forums that more naturally feel like home.

Feel free to comment on these changes or ask questions if you have them.

Until next time, players,
-Kenny

Back