Christmas Down Under

ppar3566

Well i am listening to the news at the moment hearing that many of you guys are going to have a white Christmas and I am so jealous. it pretty much only snows in two small parts in Australia at the best of times and never in Summer. Thus I thought you might want to know what is happening hear for Christmas .

Currently it looks like Christmas will be over 40 c or over 110 F. Looks like no bush fires this year which means we will not have the power knocked out like a few Christmas' ago. Anyway we will be at church with fans on full and then head home for cold meats and lots and lots of seafood. Then we will spend the next few hours opening presents and having the famous family Christmas cricket match where everyone from the 4 year old nephews to the grandmothers will be required to play. At night things will cool down and we will then switch to a very English style Christmas. The big day though will be boxing day where we will sleep on the couch and flick between the Australia South Africa cricket match and the Sydney to Hobart sailing race.

All of this to say have a very merry winter Christmas and a happy new year and I would love to hear how you are celebrating the day.

Currently it looks like Christmas will be over 40 c or over 110 F.
/me dreams of Christmas by a shaded pool in Australia

I LOATHE the cold. We could knock winter and most of autumn off the schedule and I'd be thrilled.

/me dreams of Christmas by a shaded pool in Australia

I LOATHE the cold. We could knock winter and most of autumn off the schedule and I'd be thrilled.

While I like the heat (forecast has downgraded expected temp for Christmas day BTW) a white Christmas just seems so appropriate. Anyways, Friday I will be on the beach with a book and my toes in a rock pool.

You guys are such dolts. The snowballs will melt in that tempurature long before you can throw them at him. Sheesh

You guys are such dolts. The snowballs will melt in that tempurature long before you can throw them at him. Sheesh
That's why we hide marshmallows inside the snowballs.

Ppar, yall down under surf around Christmas...we snowboard up here where I live...I wish I could actually go surfing on christmas, tha'd be fun.

I saw a news story about Christmas in Australia this morning.

While the thought of a white Christmas is nice, I would like to define white as....white sandy beaches, not the other white stuff.

Well I am sitting in our beach house atm. It was so hot this morning that we thought the beach was a real no go zone so we stayed in with air conditioning on high. Alas the news has just said they expect rain for the next few days. I will get to the beach though as it is usually better to go for a body surf when it is raining as the surf is bigger and nobody is around.

Anyways i will not be on much while I am here as I am using crazy over priced pre-paid. So have a great new years guys and enjoy the snow if you get it.

BTW ajmucha. Alot of my friends go over to the Us during summer to work in the snow fields. I kinda wish I was there with them. grass greener on the other side and all that.

Well I suppose summer is not all bad

This was taken at 7:30 at night when it was still over 25 degrees C at the beach at the end of the street (that is right ppl I walked out my front door down the road to this). I dont want snow no more. The one with me out in the water is me next to 3 small sting rays (small dinner plate size), one of the best experiences ever! The misses is the one taking the photo. she didnt like the idea of sting rays after the whole steve Irwin thing. Still gosh they are beautiful creatures.

We also went out in the morning to a beach called pebbly beach which usually has kangaroos all over the place but apparently some kid got mauled by one a while back and there aint no kangaroos no more, so sorry no photos this time. still 20km down a bush dirt track to see a beach surrounded by bushland is something to behold. My little 1.3l Toyota yaris didnt think so though and is looking a little worse for ware after a day thinking it was a 4wd.

Last edited:
This was taken at 7:30 at night when it was still over 25 degrees C at the beach at the end of the street (that is right ppl I walked out my front door down the road to this).
So, uh, you have a guest room, right? :D

Party at Ppar's house next christmas! XD
...with no way to get there.

Nice pics though, wish it looked that here.

Edit: Post 1k!

Your always welcome Tek :) .
Man, if airfare wasn't so expensive (and if it didn't take 48 hours of flights and layovers to get there), I'd be packing my bags right now.

Man, if airfare wasn't so expensive (and if it didn't take 48 hours of flights and layovers to get there), I'd be packing my bags right now.

Mate its only 20 hours....of the most painful uncomfortable travel you are ever likely to experience. On the plus side our dollar which was on parity with you guys has dropped through the floor. One US dollar now buys a small house (well not quite but you get the idea).

Back