Considering buying a 3DS XL and/or a Wii U

While on subject of Wii which Wii is best for home exercise programs? What accessories would you recommend for that? Programs also.

Last edited:
Tek. Get that Wii U and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, because Grey and I own it and stuff. Fun.
Oh, I'll probably get one next holiday season, but I haven't saved up enough gift money over the last few years to pick up both a 3DS XL AND a Wii U AND games for both.

While on subject of Wii which Wii is best for home exercise programs? What accessories would you recommend for that? Programs also.
I'm not familiar enough with the current or planned Wii U Fit software to make any recommendations. I do know that Wii Fit is better suited to balance training or strength training than aerobic exercise, but you could still make it work for that purpose.

I personally wouldn't get a 3DS because the only place I would play it would be at home (ironic for a mobile system). I'd personally get a WiiU, which I think I may get just for the new Super Mario (I'm also ashamed to admit I haven't had a Super Mario game since the SNES...).

Also, I think your initial justification for not getting the special edition 3DS was funny... since you own one of these (go ahead, look at those asking prices!).

...I considered pre-ordering the Zelda 3DS XL bundle, but (1) the unit comes with a download code, not a physical copy of the game, (2) the inside of the unit is gold--not a garish gold, but I favor more subtle colors over "STEAL ME NOW, I AM A LIMITED EDITION," attention-drawing hardware

Number three was just funny, lol.

Glad you got one. I need a TV before I get anything else haha.

... since you own one of these (go ahead, look at those asking prices!).
O_O Whoa. If memory serves, I felt like I was going crazy when I bought it for him (used, "like new") on ebay for $79 something like 8 or 9 years ago. I'd been stalking auctions for a while and finally chose "buy it now" because it never went for less. :p

I personally wouldn't get a 3DS because the only place I would play it would be at home (ironic for a mobile system). I'd personally get a WiiU, which I think I may get just for the new Super Mario (I'm also ashamed to admit I haven't had a Super Mario game since the SNES...).

Also, I think your initial justification for not getting the special edition 3DS was funny... since you own one of these (go ahead, look at those asking prices!).
I really like the art and coloring of the outside of the gold 3DS XL, but I think I still would have preferred black "innards." Still, it's not even noticeable while I'm actually playing a game, so I can't count it as a negative.

And while I still prefer nondescript hardware if only because I don't like attracting attention, that Triforce looks really cool on the lid. :D I did get an AmazonBasics case, so at least the case is a boring black (which is exactly what I wanted). :)

So my opinion is the same as before, but the allure of a special edition Nintendo handheld AND the price point at Walmart ($200, which was the same as a standard 3DS XL but included a free download code for Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, effectively netting a free game that I planned on getting anyway) won me over. Shiny + cheaper (total) = win.

EDIT: Also, when I first posted this thread, I was undecided regarding buying a 3DS XL at all and my frugality was pulling me toward refraining. In other words: I think part of me was just looking for excuses to feel better if I decided to hold on to my gift money when, in truth, I really wanted that special edition. :)

As for the asking prices for the GBA SP Retro: (1) I find it hard to believe any sane person would actually pay that and (2) keep in mind that those prices are for hardware that's several years old but still new in box and the GBA SP Retro my wife bought me was used (but still in excellent shape!).

My GBA SP is still in perfect working order today. In fact, I played it a few days ago and will probably return to it to pick up where I left off in Boktai once spring rolls around. :)

Number three was just funny, lol.
What can I say? Amazon has spoiled me. :) (Plus I pay enough in taxes as it is. Oy.)

Glad you got one. I need a TV before I get anything else haha.
Just remember to wear your body armor if you go to a store for a doorbuster deal.

EDIT: I'll have more to type tonight about my adventures with the 3DS XL so far (including my 1-1.5 hour ordeal in applying the screen protectors), but for now, I need to get back to work for a few more hours before the 4-day weekend. (w00t!)

Last edited:
1.5 hour application??! hahah I can't wait to read about this.
Forcing prisoners to apply screen protectors until there are zero bubbles is barred by the Geneva Convention.

True stuff.

But seriously, it was horrible. Then again, almost every time I've had to apply screen protectors has been horrible.

[toj.cc]phantom;481486 said:
Tek gimme your friend code when you get it.
My 3DS Friend Code is: 3196-4352-5148

I got the Zelda 3DS XL at Walmart last night!

And I already own 4 games for the 3DS: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Mario Kart 7, Pokemon X, and Super Mario 3D Land.

SQUEEEEEE~!

View attachment 2021

:D

Pokemon X was a gift from my wonderful wife, who inadvertently discovered that Toys R Us is running a "buy one, get one 40% off" sale on games today and tomorrow (Nov. 23). The surprise made both our days. :)

I had REALLY hoped to buy some Hori 3DS XL screen protectors locally, but no brick and mortar stores carry them. I'll probably order them from Amazon, but I doubt I'll be able to resist opening the box and setting up my 3DS XL (being EXTREMELY careful with the stylus) before the package from Amazon arrives.

Tek, welcome!! I bagged the Mario luigi bundle for $133, with sale price and work discount. :). Also since Christmas I have pokemon x, etrian odyssey IV, etrian odyssey untold, Luigi's mansion, animal crossing new leaf, and Zelda. My FC should be in my sig now.

Tek, welcome!! I bagged the Mario luigi bundle for $133, with sale price and work discount. :).
I bought my wife the Mario & Luigi 3DS XL bundle at Target...TWO DAYS before they offered 10% off everything in the store because of that whole "70 million accounts" compromised thing.

/cough

Anyway, yes, my wife has a 3DS XL now and she's enjoying it. She gets way more StreetPass tags than I do because she passes multiple StreetPass Relay Stations on a semi-regular basis. I have to go out of my way to hit a Relay. :p

Also since Christmas I have pokemon x, etrian odyssey IV, etrian odyssey untold, Luigi's mansion, animal crossing new leaf, and Zelda. My FC should be in my sig now.
What do you think of Animal Crossing: New Leaf so far? I've played 2 AC games now and dropped both after 2 weeks, but I keep reading that New Leaf is a fantastic experience and I admit I probably would have bought it already if not for Steam conditioning me to wait for sales and not pay anywhere near $35 for one game.

Back